Gibson Brands Forums

Will Gibson try Taylor's new V-bracing?

hardycreek1

Taylor announced a new kind of bracing, called V in place of the standard X. They say it produces a brighter, fuller sound and is a remarkable achievement.

However, I don't care for the brightness of Taylors, was wondering if Gibson will experiment with the new style bracing and how long will it be before we see it introduced?

I doubt it. Taylor have always been known for innovation that's their thing. Every couple of years they tweak the model lineup with the hope you'll trade in your current guitar for the next best thing. They came out with the performance bracing back in 2014 now it's V bracing. Gibson and Martin rely on history and tradition and it seems to work just fine no need to mess with a good thing.

Every couple of years they tweak the model lineup with the hope you'll trade in your current guitar for the next best thing. They came out with the performance bracing back in 2014 now it's V bracing.

Well said. I’ve observed them claiming g their next best things are the next best things for years and years and years now. Just s marketing ploy. Yet I’ve know Taylor owners who fall for it and trade in their prior one they were told was the greatest. Remember, too there was a time when every time they changed the pickup system in a Taylor, legions were called in to trade in their Taylor’s to buy the newest greatest pickup systems in their guitars. Although they did eventually get quite good pickup systems in their guitars. Go figure. But, to each their own.

QM aka Jazznan Jeff

No ...

Gibson knows it's customers are traditional people.

Andy talks about a "compromise" between sustain and volume but that doesn't apply to everly guitarist.

Bill Monroe liked the Martin Dread because of the way it sounded and look what came out of that.

I favor Gibson guitars because they work extensively with maple b/s.

For anyone who is a true maple lover you almost know two things:

A) Sustain is not part of the formula

B)It's clean and reflects the way you play

Andy has redesigned the 600 maple series to look more like rosewood which is stupid.

He thinks that a blonde guitar is a disease... That's not the case if you are a true maple lover.

True maple lovers don't pickup a maple guit expecting it to sound like rosewood.

He changed a beautiful thing because of a bunch of "rose and hog" lovers who don't understand maple.

Now he want's people to believe X bracing was a "compromise" when he knows damn well it was the right thing for the period where it developed.

Hell have you noticed that Taylor Swift who once was their banner artist now plays gibson acoustics?

Madonna gifted her a pickguardless Everly style guitar and afaik that's mostly what she plays now.

What does that say about the quality of sound of their guitars ?

I've played X braced Taylors and they are OK ...V bracing might be a great thing for their guitars but honestly Gibson and Martin are not in the same market as Taylor.

You will never find a guy who is as crazy about a 1978 Taylor guitar as he might be for a 1937 Advanced Jumbo or a 30's D 45 ... the main reason being the best Taylors are being built now.

A good Martin or Gibson if you play it and enjoy the ride will have the same chance of being a great guitar as it's ancestors did many decades after they were built .

Taylor at some point will render their own guitars obsolete by doing so much innovation.

They are nice guitars but the sound I love is a Gibson.

JC

I see no reason why Gibson would divert from its X bracing (or ladder bracing for some of the LGs) for their acoustic guitars. And it's not as if Taylor is breaking totally new grounds here—several other guitar companies have come up with their very own bracing patterns in the past and will probably continue doing so in the future as well.

Taylor and Gibson are about as different an animal as a strat is to a les paul.

the finish process - entirely different

the thickness of the woods on the top and back and sides - entirely different

neck joint - entirely different.

rosewood vs ebony fretboard - entirely different.

I could go on..

ppl, we really should stop comparing the two. a zero sum game at best. it's just troll bait for the cork sniffers.

If you own one at least of each, which I do, you will become to appreciate the quality in sound, play-ability of both.

They have their own voices, and times when they are each the right fit for the player, music played.

The bracing, or what ever minutia detail we angst over may be interesting on the face value, but a taylor is still a taylor, a bozemand gibson, still a gibson.

I hope they do. Will make all of those X braced guitars go up in value. One of those you don't know what you got till its gone things.

Based on history though - the last time Gibson abandoned X bracing for a something completely different was the Mark Series guitars in the 1970s. Crash and burn on takeoff.

Based on history though - the last time Gibson abandoned X bracing for a something completely different was the Mark Series guitars in the 1970s. Crash and burn on takeoff.

Precisely. Gibson already tried V bracing (Kasha design) on the Mark series:

gibson.gif

Although the Mark series bombed, some critics over the years have said the series actually had some merit...but, was too radical for its time besides Norlin, at the time, risking too many eggs in one basket with it.

For sure it was Gibson’s Edsel, though, in terms of its history. Mark models can occasionally be found in guitar shows for quite cheap.

Taylor fans generally don’t really care about Gibson’s history, so who knows, maybe they will like it.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Although the Mark series bombed, some critics over the years have said the series actually had some merit...but, was too radical for its time besides Norlin, at the time, risking too many eggs in one basket with it.

For sure it was Gibson’s Edsel, though, in terms of its history. Mark models can occasionally be found in guitar shows for quite cheap.

You have to remember the CF-100 also bombed. Gibson started cutting production a few years after they were introduced in 1950 and then pulled the plug on the whole project at the end of the decade. I guess the guitar playing public was not ready to accept a cutaway flattop.

The Mark guitars are better thought of these days. The one thing you can say about Gibson in the 1970s is that their R&D folks were working overtime to come up with innovative instruments. I have played a bunch of those Mark Series guitars. And every one left me with the same question - where is the bass?

Bracing possibilities are endless. Tacoma had their A bracing and I have played some that are very good. When you look at some of the finest builders: the likes of John Arnold and John Greven, they are not trying to erase the chalk board but are still building (for the most part) with the traditional X brace that the prewar Martins and Gibsons had and still employ. That says enough for me. Innovation can be a wonderful thing but the jury seems to be unanimous.

• 8 months later...

Isn't all about innovation and to improve product line - or companies are going down?

Personally I find V-bracing is less of improvement than differences between different Taylor guitar individuals.

Even playing the $4000 Taylor's that is what I found.

Archived