Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to find my old les Paul or one like it

tchapman75

Hi. My parents bought a plain top les Paul standard cherry burst for me in about 1989 or 1990 at mac n Dave’s in Huntington West Virginia. Very regretfully I traded that guitar in about the year 2000 in Richmond Kentucky to a guitar store. I would so much like to find that guitar or one very close to it. I’d say it was about an 88 or 89 model given that my parents bought it new in 89 or 90. I’m not wanting a les Paul with a weight releived body or any extra chambering. I’m not sure of the difference in the newer models from classic to traditional and so on. I am open to buying a new guitar if it’s like the one I had or one with a super nice flame top. For some reason I’m thinking the guy I traded with in Richmond Kentucky had the name Dave but I could be wrong. I do remember the guitar store was kinda close to a tattoo shop called down under tattoos. If anyone has any info that can help me find the guitar or one like it please let me know. Also-Gibson company, I’m interested in a new one also. I’ll pay good money. Thanks

...I would so much like to find that guitar or one very close to it. I'd say it was about an 88 or 89 model given that my parents bought it new in 89 or 90. I'm not wanting a les Paul with a weight releived body or any extra chambering...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Regardless of how heavy your original guitar was and what you believe to be true your original Les Paul will have had a 9-hole (a.k.a. 'Swiss-Cheese') weight-relieved body - of that there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever. ALL of the non-reissue Les Pauls made since 1982/83 were weight-relieved in one way or another until 2013 when SOME of the USA-line models were released with solid bodies - starting with the 2013 Traditional.

Good luck in your search.

Pip.

Sadly, the odds of you finding that same guitar today makes winning the lottery look easy. Although, I do know a few guys named Dave I could refer you to. msp_biggrin.gif

But seriously, realizing the fantasy of reliving the old memory never lives up to the memory itself.

I wouldn't get hung up on any certain specification of any individual guitar. Just find one now, that feels good to you now.

Or, you could use the "made to measure" program and have them try to remake your guitar. But, it in the end, it will still never be the same.

Not trying to be a downer, but that's how I see it.

Good luck!!! I hope you find an AWESOME Les Paul!!!

Welcome to the forum, I think we all have gotten rid of a guitar or several guitars that we wished we still had. That's the past! Trying to find that same guitar is a needle in a large haystack. Besides, no guarantees that same person would still have it either. Best bet is to go to your local guitar store and start pulling down guitars and playing them to find the one you fall in love with! msp_thumbup.gif

...Just find one now, that feels good to you now....
...go to your local guitar store and start pulling down guitars and playing them to find the one you fall in love with...

^ Both the above.

Best advice you will get, tchapman. Look Forward; not Back.

Well said, chaps!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I know how you feel on this one. I had a beautiful black Gibson USA Les Paul special that my parents bought for me New for Christmas in 2002. I ended up selling the guitar a few years later to a guitar store because I ran into tough times trying to work and pay for college, living expenses etc. It broke my heart when I sold it and I have regretted it all the years since. I have owned many lovey guitars since and currently own one of the most beautiful les Pauls I have ever seen, however, THAT guitar is not replaceable because it was from my parents. In hindsight had I just talked to my parents at the time they would have helped me out and I would still have that guitar today (they were also hurt when they found out I sold it). I have searched for years trying to find it with no luck and have even looked for one like it but for some reason that particular one is very hard to find now. So in summation it was a hard lesson to learn the value of something that exists beyond its actual price. Best of luck finding one like it or one that you like. CHEERS.

Welcome to the forum, I think we all have gotten rid of a guitar or several guitars that we wished we still had. That's the past! Trying to find that same guitar is a needle in a large haystack. Besides, no guarantees that same person would still have it either. Best bet is to go to your local guitar store and start pulling down guitars and playing them to find the one you fall in love with! msp_thumbup.gif

we've all been where you're at....

71 Tele, my first ""REAL"" guitar, (back in the days where most guys got guitars from Sears Roebuck or some other massive chain)

74 LP Deluxe Gold Top.

I can go on....

My advice is really simple.. the past is not reachable.. let it go.. start the hunt, narrow it down, find the right one, drop the cash, and take er home.

I would not get hung up on weight relief vs. no weight relief. at the end of the day, it really does not matter at all, I've played enough les pauls of all various specs to tell ya, It never made a difference in anyway. As long as it was setup right, wasn't beat to hell, and was reliable, it played and sounded, like a les paul. That's all I needed it to do.

I have two standards made about 10 year apart. the older one is heavier by about 2lbs. as I rush towards 61, I do tend to appreciate the lighter one a bit more than the heavier one. They both sound and play great.... I have no clue what kind of weight relief is in either, nor will I ever care.

Archived