Gibson Brands Forums

D'Addario Humidapacks...

kidblast

I have tried to use these things and, in all fairness, seriously.. they suck....

yes, I realize that I live in New England where the relative humidity is often in negative numbers, (actually low 20s often) so it is very dry here in the winter....

But really they don't last more than 2 weeks, and they are toast. According to the hype. they are supposed to last 2 to 4 months... Wonder what location on this earth would that be?)

I know there is a way to reactive them, but - I have also seen the damage they create when they burst,,, you don't want your acoustic anywhere near these things when they fail.

here's my humble opinion, stay away........

and we don't need to have 45 replies of how humidity and acoustic guitars is bunk, and just another conspiracy theory to sell gadgets,, it aint, live here for a few years, and don't take care of your acoustic or consider any humidity control, I can assure you, it will be junk in less than 8 months.

---> Back to the Dampits I go... hurry spring,, hurry...

flame off, Blast out..

Can only speak for myself but I have gotten the months I was supposed to out of them. Probably was just as well off using water beads and a perforated soap dish though. Sure was a lot cheaper.

I had no luck with em. It *IS* very dry here,.. today not even 30% RH.. 27ish.. should be at least 40...

I started using them at the end of November, replaced the original ones about 2 and half weeks ago, and they are already toast. I havea few soap containers too.

sitting up at the headstock in 2 of the cases.. I def. need to order one more for the classical... which was using the packs. using Oasis in the others.

Must be your location. I swear by them. I live in the greater Cincinnati area where the humidity is all over the place. Sometimes they’ll last a year, somestimes they last a few months. Depends on Mother Nature. I buy them by the bulk, they have a two year shelf life.

I've used this system for +or- 3 years and have had no problem.And that's the original packs. Later in winter when they start to become granular I insert a sponge thingee from D'Addario into the sound hole w/ the hanging holder and the added humidity helps to keep the packs hydrated. As I said,I've had the same ones all this time and they're still liquid inside. The RH in the guitar case is a bit over 40% so it's tolerable for here in Ontario. BTW we've had temps down to -30 C. a few days this winter so it's been nasty. If my experience were the same as the OP I'd be unhappy too. The sponge thing I referred to is a Planet Waves guitar humidifier. It's not expensive. Good luck.

I've used this system for +or- 3 years and have had no problem.And that's the original packs. Later in winter when they start to become granular I insert a sponge thingee from D'Addario into the sound hole w/ the hanging holder and the added humidity helps to keep the packs hydrated. As I said,I've had the same ones all this time and they're still liquid inside. The RH in the guitar case is a bit over 40% so it's tolerable for here in Ontario. BTW we've had temps down to -30 C. a few days this winter so it's been nasty. If my experience were the same as the OP I'd be unhappy too. The sponge thing I referred to is a Planet Waves guitar humidifier. It's not expensive. Good luck.

So it sounds like it's working for some of you.. I don't quite get it... I think part of the problem is maybe the guitar I'm using them in, may have arrived dry. (Taylor 514ce Nylon) The guitar is just absorbing the moisture fast. This came from Sweetwater, they "Supposedly" have these in a controller environment, but who knows if that's BS or real. Arrived in late november, and the packs we put in immediately.

the start to get hard with in a week or two. I didn't try them in anything else yet. I have one of those plastic containers in use now, in another classical.

In my SJ200 and Taylor GS Jumbo, I'm using Oasis tubes and a soap box with holes drilled and sponges cut to size.. I top off the oasis tubes about every other day, they are not empty, about half full I guess. I am using distilled water too.

I am using a dampit now in this Taylor, it's an older one, I will replace it with the new one I ordered yesterday gets here. I expect I will have to recharge it every few days if not everyday until it gets some moisture back in the wood. I had it setup the other day, and the tech did say it was a bit dry but not too bad. He read it around 40 with his humidity checker.

It's bone dry here, I looked at my hydrometer (it's in the master br) reads 26 today, I move it around once in a while, it's about the same everywhere.

I have all my guitars in a large closet. I think what I should do is rig a humidifier in there somehow, and just try to keep that around 45% rh...

dont know how they are for adding humidity but I use them to reduce it- and I dont know of other methods so these are it and they seem to help

I should add that their customer service is great

Not helping me is steam radiators and a natural gas furnace.

Sometimes we get static shocks so bad it lights up the bedroom at night, you can feel the sting for like 5 minutes after..

My wife and I just kind of chuckle when we here it happen to one another, the one who just got nailed usually responds with something like

"Shut it..."

I had no luck with em. It *IS* very dry here,.. today not even 30% RH.. 27ish.. should be at least 40...

I started using them at the end of November, replaced the original ones about 2 and half weeks ago, and they are already toast. I havea few soap containers too.

sitting up at the headstock in 2 of the cases.. I def. need to order one more for the classical... which was using the packs. using Oasis in the others.

I have no problem with them, and the ones i have are sitting in my case for over a year.

They got very stiff at some point, but slowly it all went better and they retrieved their original shape and they're back in action now... dunno why

But one question Sir, sorry to ask but did you let the case opened someday ? They would empty all their humidity in no time. Even when playing your case has to be closed right after grabing your axe.

They’re apparently based on Tech used in cigar humidors, essentially a closed box and small space. I’m sure they’re fine for RH that fluctuates quite a bit (here in the UK my room with guits in can vary between 35 and 70% in a day) but if a region is seriously wet or dry, I think something of a more tough solution is required.

I have no problem with them, and the ones i have are sitting in my case for over a year.

They got very stiff at some point, but slowly it all went better and they retrieved their original shape and they're back in action now... dunno why

But one question Sir, sorry to ask but did you let the case opened someday ? They would empty all their humidity in no time. Even when playing your case has to be closed right after grabing your axe.

The will retain moisture when the RH goes up. and loose it when the RH goes down. The problem I'm having is they are loosing moisture VERY quickly.

Unless somehow, I got a bogus set of replacement packs. the original ones lasted (it seemed) twice longer than the replacement packs.

And I do close the cases with what ever humidification device I use, in the space where the body rests.

You have obviously upset the Guitar Fairies!

There will be no end of (guitar) related strife until you sacrifice a guitar on the full moon. Pick one now or the Fairies will choose for you.

BluesKing777.

I have made my choice,. I hope they like strats.. I don't play my fenders that much anyway...

1517861772[/url]' post='1915011']

I have tried to use these things and, in all fairness, seriously.. they suck....

yes, I realize that I live in New England where the relative humidity is often in negative numbers, (actually low 20s often) so it is very dry here in the winter....

But really they don't last more than 2 weeks, and they are toast. According to the hype. they are supposed to last 2 to 4 months... Wonder what location on this earth would that be?)

I know there is a way to reactive them, but - I have also seen the damage they create when they burst,,, you don't want your acoustic anywhere near these things when they fail.

here's my humble opinion, stay away........

and we don't need to have 45 replies of how humidity and acoustic guitars is bunk, and just another conspiracy theory to sell gadgets,, it aint, live here for a few years, and don't take care of your acoustic or consider any humidity control, I can assure you, it will be junk in less than 8 months.

---> Back to the Dampits I go... hurry spring,, hurry...

flame off, Blast out..

North Dakota is super cold and dry in the winter. So I use a humidifier in the room. But lo and behold the top sunk on my j45 tv last year and I noticed a crack either the finish or the wood on the back. Meanwhile the art&lutherie Godin acoustic hangs by its neck with nothing done to protect it,it's fallen numerous times,been banged like an old whore, and it's been played enough to make wear marks in the rosewood fretboard yet this Canadian guitar is still straight and true at a 1/10 the price. Go figure.

I have an Alvarez Yari, (made in 1978, when they were mostly hand built, one at a time in Japan). it's basically a knock off of a Martin D28.

It's impervious to any climate conditions. I leave it where we rehearse, in the case, and most of the time it is still in tune when I use it, which is not all that often. The last time I even had to adjust the truss rod was probably when I started using 12s instead of 11s, back in 1998.

I had it refurbed a few years ago, updated the pickup and had a few frets replaced with a new nut. The guy that did the job says, "you know how long it's been since any one made a guitar this solid?" I said "uhmm,, 1978???" "Exactly..."

The will retain moisture when the RH goes up. and loose it when the RH goes down. The problem I'm having is they are loosing moisture VERY quickly.

Unless somehow, I got a bogus set of replacement packs. the original ones lasted (it seemed) twice longer than the replacement packs.

And I do close the cases with what ever humidification device I use, in the space where the body rests.

I use the pack(s) suspended from the guitar strings inside the sound hole.That way the moisture permeates from inside the guitar body. If you put it inside the case beside the guitar I don't know if the moisture will get to the soundboard as the space inside a closed case would tend to limit the exposure to a small area in the case. With a closed lid there's not a lot of ambient room for hydration.I don't know if I understood your meaning but if what I'm imagining is what you meant,I'd try it in the sound hole. Hope this makes sense.

I use the pack(s) suspended from the guitar strings inside the sound hole.That way the moisture permeates from inside the guitar body. If you put it inside the case beside the guitar I don't know if the moisture will get to the soundboard as the space inside a closed case would tend to limit the exposure to a small area in the case. With a closed lid there's not a lot of ambient room for hydration.I don't know if I understood your meaning but if what I'm imagining is what you meant,I'd try it in the sound hole. Hope this makes sense.

hey Olie, the dual sleeve is in the sound hole, the single pack is supposed to rest in the case under the headstock, and this is what I've been doing.

Right now I am using a Dampit, which I'm recharging once a day for now, I did check the top with my straight edge, there is still an up bow in it, so the top has not sunk.

Update w/some interesting findings...

I started using a (trusty) dampit in the guitar I was using the Humidipaks in.

I kept the pouch in there too just to see if the moisture would reactivate these as D'Addario says they will.

After a few days one pack has returned to a liquid state, the other is improving.

While the climate here rarely calls for one, this Oasis humidifier/hygrometer/thermometer is a good one. Simple damp sponge device, no buying refill packs. While I cannot vouch for accuracy, I don't believe that having spot-on humidity is that critical.........a little moisture when things get particularly dry is a comfort to me and seems to suit the guitars well enough. Had a stretch of low 20s overnight last month and I did put a big pot of water on a low boil in the kitchen for some added relief (for me and the guitars!). If the device is not in the guitar case, I leave it out in the room on 24/7 just to see how the numbers vary over time. Battery lasts for months. A Buc Approved device.

hey buc!

climate here in the winter is brutal, bone dry. I have 2 Oasis tubes, the SJ200 gets one, the '06 Taylor GS Series Jumbo gets the other. I'm charging them at least every other day, or every day just topping them off.

For the Taylor Nylon, the Dampit has been doing it's job That the D'Addario packs are reactivating in that case is a good sigh, as they are supposed to grab the excess moisture as well as disperse in dry settings.

I have a new Dampit coming this week to replace the older one,, it still seems to hold moisture long enough, so I will an use that for something else. JMO, but. These really are the most effective, and easy to use, and probably safest. if a humidack or oasis tube leak, could be a disaster. although the oasis are pretty safe as long as you let it all dry, and discard the gelatin pellets and replace once a year as winter approaches.

I use soap boxes with about 16 holes drilled that have sponges cut to size that I keep damp sitting up under the head stocks in each acoustic case.

I put a hydrometer in the cases, left for few hours to get a reading of the cases.. they seem to set at around 40.. not perfect, but not 20 % RH either

Cases are closed when I'm using the guitars and they stay in those cases when not played. Action has stayed put on all 3, so I don't think the tops are moving/sinking much if at all.

another few months to go still....

hey buc!

climate here in the winter is brutal, bone dry. I have 2 Oasis tubes, the SJ200 gets one, the '06 Taylor GS Series Jumbo gets the other. I'm charging them at least every other day, or every day just topping them off.

For the Taylor Nylon, the Dampit has been doing it's job That the D'Addario packs are reactivating in that case is a good sigh, as they are supposed to grab the excess moisture as well as disperse in dry settings.

I have a new Dampit coming this week to replace the older one,, it still seems to hold moisture long enough, so I will an use that for something else. JMO, but. These really are the most effective, and easy to use, and probably safest. if a humidack or oasis tube leak, could be a disaster. although the oasis are pretty safe as long as you let it all dry, and discard the gelatin pellets and replace once a year as winter approaches.

I use soap boxes with about 16 holes drilled that have sponges cut to size that I keep damp sitting up under the head stocks in each acoustic case.

I put a hydrometer in the cases, left for few hours to get a reading of the cases.. they seem to set at around 40.. not perfect, but not 20 % RH either

Cases are closed when I'm using the guitars and they stay in those cases when not played. Action has stayed put on all 3, so I don't think the tops are moving/sinking much if at all.

another few months to go still....

It's certainly a challenge for those of us who live in climates with such radical temp. and RH swings.My house can go from 70+RH in the summer and 80+ F. in the summer to less than 30RH and app. 70F in the winter. It's a lot of latitude and must take a toll on thin solid tops.I tend to tweak the truss rod a couple of times a year when these seasonal swings occur.All in all though, I think that these preventative measures are well worth the time and effort to protect our "babies".

Archived