Gibson Brands Forums

Necks

JAC

Hello Gibson lovers how are you? I just thought I would share this insight, since the topic does come up every once in a while. For the record I like thinner necks myself. I can play a fat neck. I relate to people liking different necks because we all have different size hands. I have small hands. The size of your hand will not dictate your skill level. Use big, small, fat, wide, flat, V-shaped, etc. necks which are best for you. My main point I like to stress is, don't put others down for liking stuff that is different from what you like/need/use/prefer etc. Remember one guy's garbage is another man's treasure. Please feel free to flame me or make any other input on here, which I may have not taken into consideration. Keep on pickin' and strummin' bros and sisters.

Did someone put someone down because they prefer one size neck over another? Everyone's gonna have their personal preference but that doesn't make one person's preference better or worse than another's. But my opinion is that it really doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I have guitars of varying necks from the big Gibson 50's style necks, to the 60's, slim taper and classical wide neck. I've played each of them long enough that I really don't notice any more. The same goes with neck scale. I don't have a problem adjusting from the Gibson to Fender necks. I've never picked up any guitar and said, "I can't play this due to this neck radius." I guess my preference would be the neck of my '81 Gibson V because I've played it for almost 34 years and I'm more used to it.

Very happy to see the negative posts on here. I hope their knowledge and playing skill at least equals their hatred.

Maybe frustration, but if you see hatred, then sorry for your troubles man. [confused]

To Michael T's point, if your post was a response to someone here saying "hey, anyone who doesn't like fat necks is an idiot who can't play for sh!t" then it would have made a point....but apropos of nothing, and calling it insight... well the responses kind of summed it up.

And the most pointless thread award goes to...

Seriously? Did you just like the sound of the keyboard as you typed?

I was sober when I created this post. I bet big money you were not when you responded.

Maybe frustration, but if you see hatred, then sorry for your troubles man. [confused]

To Michael T's point, if your post was a response to someone here saying "hey, anyone who doesn't like fat necks is an idiot who can't play for sh!t" then it would have made a point....but apropos of nothing, and calling it insight... well the responses kind of summed it up.

It is all about hate not frustration. I did not put anyone down with my OP. I refuse to be bullied or slandered over an innocent honest post. I do welcome both negative and positive posts. Logic and reasoning will always be a part of my approach.

I feel right at home with Gibson's asymmetrical neck profile.

I do as well. I have a 2010 LP Standard with this neck. My other two are slim taper. For all the haters, I've been a Gibson owner since 1998. I have three Lesters and one SG Special.

Guest Farnsbarns

I was sober when I created this post. I bet big money you were not when you responded.

How much money? Let's do this.

Guest Farnsbarns

It is all about hate not frustration. I did not put anyone down with my OP. I refuse to be bullied or slandered over an innocent honest post. I do welcome both negative and positive posts. Logic and reasoning will always be a part of my approach.

When were you bullied or slandered? You just started a topic about an issue which as far as everyone else is aware, doesn't exist. You got ridiculed a bit. Best way to avoid being ridiculed is to not be ridiculous.

Guest Farnsbarns

I do as well. I have a 2010 LP Standard with this neck. My other two are slim taper. For all the haters, I've been a Gibson owner since 1998. I have three Lesters and one SG Special.

What haters? And why would they care how many guitars you've had or for how long? Any more than they'd care what neck profiles you like.

Perhaps it would help everyone to understand the reasoning behind the thread and what you hoped to get out of it if you explained who has slated someone else for their neck profile preference? Or if you felt there is such sentiment about, why?

I'm beginning to think Big Bill hit the nail on the head. Small hands and feet. And Bill, I care if you're not getting any. That just means you'll comment in here more. [lol]

What haters? And why would they care how many guitars you've had or for how long? Any more than they'd care what neck profiles you like.

Perhaps it would help everyone to understand the reasoning behind the thread and what you hoped to get out of it if you explained who has slated someone else for their neck profile preference? Or if you felt there is such sentiment about, why?

I'm beginning to think Big Bill hit the nail on the head. Small hands and feet. And Bill, I care if you're not getting any. That just means you'll comment in here more. [lol]

I feel so ashamed, no really! Talk about playing king of the hill on a freakin' post! You're a bit of a moron who likes to start crap and more than likely suck on the guitar. You and your boy friend Bill can wank each other. I did not start any nonsense on here. Go back to the pub and annoy and scare people there.

Guest Farnsbarns

I feel so ashamed, no really! Talk about playing king of the hill on a freakin' post! You're a bit of a moron who likes to start crap and more than likely suck on the guitar. You and your boy friend Bill can wank each other. I did not start any nonsense on here. Go back to the pub and annoy and scare people there.

Brilliant!

Of course you started nonsense. The entire premise of the thread is nonsense and you started the thread.

Archived