Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Les Paul Tribute T 2018?? help - Gibson Brands Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Les Paul Tribute T 2018?? help

#21 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

To expand:

1. The QC issue... Well, like Megafrog says, if you'll notice anything, maybe some minor cosmetic flaw. I noticed the strap button on my V wasn't drilled in 100% straight - things like that. A year later, guess how much the minute gap has affected it's durability. Exactly - zero.

It's still a lot of money, so if you're uncertain, bring someone along to check it out.

To save time, have the store set it up to your specs (action, etc.), intonate it, and have them check that the truss rod works fine.

2. The 498T is an Alnico V, which is little hotter than the Alnico II in the 490T. It'll probably sound great either way. If you ever decide to replace it, you can. I doubt you will, though.

3. My 2017 Tribute's fretboard had a naturally light fretboard that didn't get a lot darker with oiling. I'm assuming they save the darker rosewood for more expensive models. Should be fine anyway. I use Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil once a year, because we get cold and dry winters. Every other year, I use Gorgomyte for deep cleaning before oiling.

If you Google it, you'll have some people saying this product works, that one's crap... I say, if it's from a reputable brand and made for guitars, you'll be fine.

4. Like I said, I have a 2017, but the specs are similar and the 2018 specs look great to me.

You'll love it. Well, you already do, but you'll love it even more once you take it home.

#22 User is offline   Eracer_Team 

• More Gear than Tallent

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

If you're in the store playing the guitar... look it over for finish issues before you buy

Those that complain about QC are typically "mail order brides" and people complain because they didn't have them in their hands before purchase

#23 User is offline   dk2429 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

I looked it over throughly, couldn't​ find anything wrong at all. The guitar looks and feels like what a Gibson should be. Yesterday I had it going through a vox ac30 and I've never heard anything more beautiful

#24 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

View Postdk2429, on 08 February 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

I looked it over throughly, couldn't​ find anything wrong at all. The guitar looks and feels like what a Gibson should be. Yesterday I had it going through a vox ac30 and I've never heard anything more beautiful

There you go then.

I played my 2017 Tribute today, and every time I do I think "f..k, I love this guitar".

I couldn't buy a $3k Les Paul, and I wouldn't. I may have ripped on Gibson prices in the past, but I think what they charge for the Tributes is fair. Same as with the 2017 Flying Vs, that were about the same price. $1k for a great guitar is acceptable. I can certainly survive without binding.

Congrats, and welcome to the forums (you're new here, right?). Any questions, just ask on here. There's usually a reply in minutes. The number of people on here who know their s...t is incredible!

#25 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

Custom Truss Rod Covers search

I haven't used any of these places but there's quite a few places that do custom engraving online.

Was playing my 2017 Tribute through the amp last night and I wish I had found it first. I might have saved myself a few thousand dollars. But, I'm real happy with my Standard as well.

#26 User is offline   dk2429 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

Yeah I was looking at that Philiedelpha website but there isn't a way to see what it looks like after you customize it. I'll probably just get a blank cover from Gibson and have someone engrave it

#27 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

My favorite TRC is

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:43 AM

View PostMichaelT, on 08 February 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

Was playing my 2017 Tribute through the amp last night and I wish I had found it first. I might have saved myself a few thousand dollars. But, I'm real happy with my Standard as well.

Best of both worlds, eh?

I played my 2017 last night too, and I don't think I'll ever buy another Les Paul (granted, once the world realizes my playing prowess, I'll make millions and they'll throw them at me). Same with the 2017 V.

#29 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostPinch, on 09 February 2018 - 06:43 AM, said:

Best of both worlds, eh?

I played my 2017 last night too, and I don't think I'll ever buy another Les Paul (granted, once the world realizes my playing prowess, I'll make millions and they'll throw them at me). Same with the 2017 V.

Never say never when it comes to buying guitars. :) I love my Flying V's too. I tend to play one for a week, then swap out, rotating them. The Tribute always sits on the guitar stand next to the couch for easy access. The others stay in their cases in the closet until it's time to play. I'm really enjoying them through the Marshall DSL40C and DSL100H half stack. I'm pretty happy with that investment too.

#30 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

MichaelT: heh, yeah, I know... If I remember correctly, I asked you a bunch of questions about the 2017 Flying V, which I couldn't afford.

Then I bought the Tribute less than a year later.

#31 User is offline   dk2429 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

Going to get it tomorrow! Called Guitar Center and they have her on hold in the back waiting on me..

I'm really happy that I'm actually getting my first Gibson tomorrow (aside from the '58 J45 that was passed down to be from my grandma.) To be quite honest with y'all, the main reason I've always wanted to get a Gibson Les Paul is simply tradition.. My family is very very musically inclined. Both of my grandpas, my dad, my older brother, and my grandma have always played nothing but Gibson guitars. My dad used to play music professionally, so I was born and raised around Gibson. And all of them put in some hard work and sweat to earn their first Gibson. So it feels pretty cool to me that I'm 17 (turning 18 tomorrow) and keeping the tradition rolling. I'm also saving up some more after this to go find me a used SG for a good price... I was actually really eye balling an American Strat that I really like to get next, but when I think of it, I'd feel like I'm betraying the tradition of Gibsons, so next axe is an SG. I'd like to have 2 good guitars to play live (one for standard, other for 1/2 step down) so that's what I'm gonna do!

Really excited to pick it up tomorrow! Thanks again folks

This post has been edited by dk2429: 09 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

#32 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

What do you think about this faux binding ?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   ChristopherJ 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostRevolution Six, on 10 February 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

I like "binding" like that. Ditch the poker chip though.

#34 User is offline   dk2429 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

I like the binding, but it's not a must have. The biggest must haves for me is a pick guard and the chrome cover on the pickups. What is a "poker chip"..?

#35 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

Plastic disc under the pick up selector switch.
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#36 User is offline   dk2429 

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

Well guys, I got it! Love it.

What is the picture inside the case that came with the guitar..? Is this a picture of it from the factory?

#37 User is offline   IanHenry 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:43 AM

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Les Paul, I hope you enjoy many years together. Yes I think the photo is from the factory, although I've never bought one that comes with a photo.

Regards,
Ian

#38 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

View Postdk2429, on 11 February 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

Well guys, I got it! Love it.

What is the picture inside the case that came with the guitar..? Is this a picture of it from the factory?

Yeah, that's a picture of it on the bench at the factory. I got one with my 2017 Standard and 2017 Tribute. Just cool case candy. Hope you love the guitar.

#39 User is offline   dk2429 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostMichaelT, on 12 February 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

Yeah, that's a picture of it on the bench at the factory. I got one with my 2017 Standard and 2017 Tribute. Just cool case candy. Hope you love the guitar.

I do! It's great!!! I can DEFINITELY hear the difference between it and the Epiphone. I actually plugged them both in, same exact setting, same everything, and you could for sure tell the Gibson was much more clear and "hotter" sounding. Has a lot more punch to it! The only negative thing I can say is the strings it came with feel like some kind of hybrid BS. I also want to set it up where the action is a little bit lower, but then again, it might feel that way to me cause of the whacky strings that came on it. I just like plain jane Clearatone 10-46.

Was this thing supposed to come with some kind of authenticity papers or is that just for the higher end Les Pauls? The only thing it came with that seemed somewhat close to that was some check list thing with 2 signatures on it that I supposed are from the guys that built the guitar

This post has been edited by dk2429: 12 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

#40 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:36 AM

View PostRevolution Six, on 10 February 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

Posted Image

The natural binding and LP look great.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users