Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Tribute T 2018?? help

dk2429

Hey guys, I'm about to get my first "good" electric guitar probably by this weekend if my mind is made up. After years of the ole Epiphone Les Paul (still a great guitar,) it's time to upgrade as my band and I are about to start gigging, and I want a good guitar for it.

I'm really interested in the Les Paul Tribute T for $1100. I played it at Guitar Center and love it! Had it going through a Crush Pro 120, and it rocked!

I have a few questions that maybe some of y'all could help me out with though.. Bare me with me because like I said, this is going to be my first good electric guitar..

1- The one thing I'm concerned about is the stuff I've been reading about Gibson's quality issues nowadays, which has me concerned about this guitar being a 2018. From the feel of it, it felt like a true American Gibson that was not cheap, but felt like a workhorse guitar.. What are y'alls thoughts about this whole "quality issue" deal, and is it something to be worried about?

2- The bridge pickup.. The 2017 has the 490T, the 2018 has the 498T.. What's the difference sound wise?

3- The one thing that kinda caught my attention was how dry the fretboard (rosewood) was.. I've felt this on many other guitars, but didn't expect it on a Gibson.. My understanding now is that rosewood fretboards need to be conditioned?

4- Does anyone own this guitar, and how has it been?

All in all, my BIGGEST concern is the QC issue I've been hearing about Gibson having right now. I'm 17 about to be 18, and have spent time saving up the $$$ for a Gibson, so I just want to make sure I'm doing right and not getting some junk.... Personally, I love the guitar. It plays great, and the sound is heaven.. But again, the QC......

Thanks for any help guys.. I've always loved Gibson guitars ever since my grandma passed down a 1958 J45 to me, but as far as ownership of their electrics, I'm new.

Thanks again

Not sure what else really matters.

I agree, but again, I'm kinda worried about the quality control issue that I keep hearing Gibson is having these days. I'll most likely end up with it, but I just wanted 2nd thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

The LP Tributes are nice electrics. Take someone else with you who is familar with them if you can. Good Luck, play a few if possible. The 490 or 498 is a difference in output alnico II or V. The boards I condition anyway but I wouldnt worry about the boards unless theres visable shrinkage or something as a result of lacking humidity/dryness. Play a few since the 490s are slightly different, I still use a set but my bridge is 8.4 and neck 7.7. Its just a set I liked that balances well. .

The quality control issues on Gibson guitars has more to do with lack of attention to detail on typically cosmetic items. You are doing the right thing going into a store to try the actual guitar you are looking at buying. I have not played the 2018 model but own the 2017 version and that is my go to Les Paul. The quality on mine is great. I would suspect the 2018 is more of the same with a much better quality gig bag for 2018.

The LP Tributes are nice electrics. Take someone else with you who is familar with them if you can. Good Luck, play a few if possible. The 490 or 498 is a difference in output alnico II or V. The boards I condition anyway but I wouldnt worry about the boards unless theres visable shrinkage or something as a result of lacking humidity/dryness. Play a few since the 490s are slightly different, I still use a set but my bridge is 8.4 and neck 7.7. Its just a set I liked that balances well. .

Nah the board looks fine! I just don't understand why it has that dry feeling. Niw that I think of it, I did play an ES-335 that had the same dry feeling to it, and I also played an actual 60's reissue that was $5k that felt somewhat dry. My Epiphone never felt like that, and every fender I've played hasn't felt dry either. A friend of mine that got a 2017 Explorer said his felt dry too and he conditioned it with lemon oil..

1- The one thing I'm concerned about is the stuff I've been reading about Gibson's quality issues nowadays, which has me concerned about this guitar being a 2018. From the feel of it, it felt like a true American Gibson that was not cheap, but felt like a workhorse guitar.. What are y'alls thoughts about this whole "quality issue" deal, and is it something to be worried about?

often times, this is all personal opinion. It really depends on how fussy we are as consumers. Like the binding, often times, it wont be "perfection" but, gibson is still doing binding work by hand, I read it takes 2 years of experience and training to be able to get it right.. so a lot of the labor intensive stuff that gibson is probably still doing by hand, the imports are probably 98% CNC work.

2- The bridge pickup.. The 2017 has the 490T, the 2018 has the 498T.. What's the difference sound wise?

I don't think I've tried a 490T, but I've used the 498T for years, I would not worry about those if the 2018 is loaded with the 490R / 498T combo.. those are real good pickups IMHO.

3- The one thing that kinda caught my attention was how dry the fretboard (rosewood) was.. I've felt this on many other guitars, but didn't expect it on a Gibson.. My understanding now is that rosewood fretboards need to be conditioned?

The Rosewood is untreated, unsealed, and it's indeed a porous wood.. while color shades will vary (darker to light) that's just the wood's characteristic. you may see four different guitars of the exact same make, and all might have a different look, nothing more than the wood.

But for sure, they do all need to be hydrated. Go to Amazon and look for Gerlitz Guitar Honey. This is a wood spirit for conditioning rosewood. spray a bit on a cotton rag, and rub it into the fretboard all the way up. let it sit for a minute, then rub it down again with a dry cotton rag. That will hydrate the wood with the proper solution. you will see the luster of the rosewood return immediately. Do this maybe twice a year.

I don't have a tribute, but I would consider one. many hear do own them, and the all give them very high marks.

All in all, my BIGGEST concern is the QC issue I've been hearing about Gibson having right now. I'm 17 about to be 18, and have spent time saving up the $$$ for a Gibson, so I just want to make sure I'm doing right and not getting some junk.... Personally, I love the guitar. It plays great, and the sound is heaven.. But again, the QC......

The QC issues really depend on how particular the buyer is. Gibson's QC is all over the map. I have 6 Gibson's, and the range in age from 20+ years old, to 2 years old. I'm very pleased with the over all QA in all of them.

It's very good to have the ability to play/see/critique in person before purchasing, and good if there are a few to chose from where you know at least given what was available to you, you're walking out with what you think is the better of the lot.

Good luck with this,, the hunt is really half the fun.

Nah the board looks fine! I just don't understand why it has that dry feeling. Niw that I think of it, I did play an ES-335 that had the same dry feeling to it, and I also played an actual 60's reissue that was $5k that felt somewhat dry. My Epiphone never felt like that, and every fender I've played hasn't felt dry either. A friend of mine that got a 2017 Explorer said his felt dry too and he conditioned it with lemon oil..

As mentioned above, Gerlitz Guitar Honey, or if you want it darker, Fret doctor, they usually need to be cleaned and conditioned, frets polished and it will be straight.

I have a 2017 Tribute and I absolutely love it. Mine has P90's in it but I've played the other ones with the 490/498 pickups and they sounded great in my opinion. It seems Gibson is sending them out with dry fretboards but a little fretboard oil occasionally will fix that up. http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/How-to-Clean-Your-Guitar-for-Better-Tone.aspx

Overall, I'm very happy with my Tribute and highly recommend them for someone wanting a Gibson Les Paul look, feel and sound on a budget. I play it every bit as much as my Standard and it was worth what I paid for it and more.

Edited by MichaelT

What can I say about my Les Paul Tribute : GREAT! PURE GIBSON!

The only bad point imho is the 490T humbucker, it is lazy. Very easy to upgrade.

- Buffing finish

- Blank '59 Historic truss rod cover

- Black plastics and 5 ply pickguard (Gibson)

- Historic switch tip and black poker chip

- Nickel metal jack plate

- Gold knobs

- Gibson ABR-1 bridge

les_pa46.jpg

What can I say about my Les Paul Tribute : GREAT! PURE GIBSON!

The only bad point imho is the 490T humbucker, it is lazy. Very easy to upgrade.

- Buffing finish

- Blank '59 Historic truss rod cover

- Black plastics and 5 ply pickguard (Gibson)

- Historic switch tip and black poker chip

- Nickel metal jack plate

- Gold knobs

- Gibson ABR-1 bridge

les_pa46.jpg

Thanks for the info! What year is yours?

The 21018 has the 498T which is supposed to be "less lazy."

often times, this is all personal opinion. It really depends on how fussy we are as consumers. Like the binding, often times, it wont be "perfection" but, gibson is still doing binding work by hand, I read it takes 2 years of experience and training to be able to get it right.. so a lot of the labor intensive stuff that gibson is probably still doing by hand, the imports are probably 98% CNC work.

I don't think I've tried a 490T, but I've used the 498T for years, I would not worry about those if the 2018 is loaded with the 490R / 498T combo.. those are real good pickups IMHO.

The Rosewood is untreated, unsealed, and it's indeed a porous wood.. while color shades will vary (darker to light) that's just the wood's characteristic. you may see four different guitars of the exact same make, and all might have a different look, nothing more than the wood.

But for sure, they do all need to be hydrated. Go to Amazon and look for Gerlitz Guitar Honey. This is a wood spirit for conditioning rosewood. spray a bit on a cotton rag, and rub it into the fretboard all the way up. let it sit for a minute, then rub it down again with a dry cotton rag. That will hydrate the wood with the proper solution. you will see the luster of the rosewood return immediately. Do this maybe twice a year.

I don't have a tribute, but I would consider one. many hear do own them, and the all give them very high marks.

The QC issues really depend on how particular the buyer is. Gibson's QC is all over the map. I have 6 Gibson's, and the range in age from 20+ years old, to 2 years old. I'm very pleased with the over all QA in all of them.

It's very good to have the ability to play/see/critique in person before purchasing, and good if there are a few to chose from where you know at least given what was available to you, you're walking out with what you think is the better of the lot.

Good luck with this,, the hunt is really half the fun.

Thanks for all of this! I apologize for all the reading..

I actually just had a guy offer a 2012 SG Standard to me for $850, which is a deal! But... I reallllyyy would prefer a Les Paul. I've played SG's, they are nice, but the feel of the Les Paul and what I love

This is my first time really "guitar hunting," and I'll tell you, it's a complete adventure.

Edited by dk2429

Thanks for all of this! I apologize for all the reading..

I actually just had a guy offer a 2012 SG Standard to me for $850, which is a deal! But... I reallllyyy would prefer a Les Paul. I've played SG's, they are nice, but the feel of the Les Paul and what I love

This is my first time really "guitar hunting," and I'll tell you, it's a complete adventure.

I would pass on a SG Standard from a private seller for $850 period. Stores sell them used for that with a guarantee.

I agree with what's being relayed here. The quality control issues with Gibson I believe are largely overblown. They still have issues don't get me wrong, ive seen em' personally, but as long as you go through a reputable dealer you should be able to return a guitar to get the right one if you encounter issues. I think kidblast said it well, the QC issues are in some instances more about our expectations as consumers but as long as it sounds good, and you like it, go for it. As for the pickups, I have a 17' SG Special with 490T and 490R humbuckers and they sound amazing. When I jump from one of my more expensive Gibsons back to that SG special I am always pleasantly surprised at how great they sound.

Update-

Went back to Guitar Center about an hour to play it again and make sure I like. I fell in love with it even more! I'll be getting it this Saturday. One of the guys showed me what to use to condition the board.

I'm kind of jumping the gun here, but I have another question.. Does anyone know where I can get a custom truss rod cover for the LP? I'd love to get one put on it with my bible verse on it. I've looked up some people that do it, but I'm wondering if any of y'all have personally done this and where to get it. If possible I want a genuine Gibson cover.. Any ideas?

Update-

Went back to Guitar Center about an hour to play it again and make sure I like. I fell in love with it even more! I'll be getting it this Saturday. One of the guys showed me what to use to condition the board.

I'm kind of jumping the gun here, but I have another question.. Does anyone know where I can get a custom truss rod cover for the LP? I'd love to get one put on it with my bible verse on it. I've looked up some people that do it, but I'm wondering if any of y'all have personally done this and where to get it. If possible I want a genuine Gibson cover.. Any ideas?

I take my truss rod covers and neck plates to any trophy guy in town, they'll do it.

rct

I would pass on a SG Standard from a private seller for $850 period. Stores sell them used for that with a guarantee.

Check other sources GC & SA Used gear page, Letgo, reverb but there is nothing better than your local guitar shop.

They can all be used as references if buying from private sellers.

Also unless you 100% sure have it checked out at a shop.

rather shell out the fee for that than end up with something you dont like or feel cheated about.

Edited by Azmedian

I take my truss rod covers and neck plates to any trophy guy in town, they'll do it.

rct

I thought the same, but the cover already has Tribute engraved on it.. I was thinking maybe order a blank cover from Gibson and then take it somewhere for it to be engraved..?

I thought the same, but the cover already has Tribute engraved on it.. I was thinking maybe order a blank cover from Gibson and then take it somewhere for it to be engraved..?

Yes. GC can get you a blank cover. Trophy shop will engrave it.

rct

To expand:

1. The QC issue... Well, like Megafrog says, if you'll notice anything, maybe some minor cosmetic flaw. I noticed the strap button on my V wasn't drilled in 100% straight - things like that. A year later, guess how much the minute gap has affected it's durability. Exactly - zero.

It's still a lot of money, so if you're uncertain, bring someone along to check it out.

To save time, have the store set it up to your specs (action, etc.), intonate it, and have them check that the truss rod works fine.

2. The 498T is an Alnico V, which is little hotter than the Alnico II in the 490T. It'll probably sound great either way. If you ever decide to replace it, you can. I doubt you will, though.

3. My 2017 Tribute's fretboard had a naturally light fretboard that didn't get a lot darker with oiling. I'm assuming they save the darker rosewood for more expensive models. Should be fine anyway. I use Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil once a year, because we get cold and dry winters. Every other year, I use Gorgomyte for deep cleaning before oiling.

If you Google it, you'll have some people saying this product works, that one's crap... I say, if it's from a reputable brand and made for guitars, you'll be fine.

4. Like I said, I have a 2017, but the specs are similar and the 2018 specs look great to me.

You'll love it. Well, you already do, but you'll love it even more once you take it home.

I looked it over throughly, couldn't​ find anything wrong at all. The guitar looks and feels like what a Gibson should be. Yesterday I had it going through a vox ac30 and I've never heard anything more beautiful

There you go then.

I played my 2017 Tribute today, and every time I do I think "f..k, I love this guitar".

I couldn't buy a $3k Les Paul, and I wouldn't. I may have ripped on Gibson prices in the past, but I think what they charge for the Tributes is fair. Same as with the 2017 Flying Vs, that were about the same price. $1k for a great guitar is acceptable. I can certainly survive without binding.

Congrats, and welcome to the forums (you're new here, right?). Any questions, just ask on here. There's usually a reply in minutes. The number of people on here who know their s...t is incredible!

Custom Truss Rod Covers search

I haven't used any of these places but there's quite a few places that do custom engraving online.

Was playing my 2017 Tribute through the amp last night and I wish I had found it first. I might have saved myself a few thousand dollars. But, I'm real happy with my Standard as well.