Gibson Brands Forums: Help, Flying V BIG finish damage - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help, Flying V BIG finish damage

#1 User is offline   TheFlame 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 05-February 18

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:59 PM

Need some advice. My son plays in a band, his Flying V is his workhorse. Close quarters during practice, I dunno, stuff happens. We talk about taking care of the expensive instruments... Latest problem, BIG finish damage on one of the wings, see pic.

I'm kinda handy, we could try to repaint, dub with nitro and buff to smooth. I've done some fixes on guitars. This is a pretty big biff though.

Question: would an attempted fix just look like a botch job, and should we just leave it and let it take it's battle scars?

If fixing, how can I get Alpine White touch up paint from Gibson? What type of Nitro to seal with?

I know the steps: paint, apply Nitro in layers, sand, layer, ultimately buff w/heat.

Attached File(s)


0

#2 User is offline   MichaelT 

  • Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1135
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:13 AM

I've played Flying V's since 1983 and mine have some similar dings on the V parts. That's a pretty big one though. If you can do a professional job and make it look like new, you can. It'll hurt the value a little but it's just another battle scar, perhaps the first of many to come. It's not as bad as a neck break. My opinion is that if you can do the job and make it look professional, go for it. You could always take it for a second opinion too and see what the costs are there. Flying V's take some getting used to because they stick out further on both ends.
0

#3 User is offline   TheFlame 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 05-February 18

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

View PostMichaelT, on 07 February 2018 - 07:13 AM, said:

I've played Flying V's since 1983 and mine have some similar dings on the V parts. That's a pretty big one though. If you can do a professional job and make it look like new, you can. It'll hurt the value a little but it's just another battle scar, perhaps the first of many to come. It's not as bad as a neck break. My opinion is that if you can do the job and make it look professional, go for it. You could always take it for a second opinion too and see what the costs are there. Flying V's take some getting used to because they stick out further on both ends.


I'm just afraid of doing a botch job and making it look worse (like those celebs with plastic surgery gone bad...)

Matching the paint would be difficult and also getting the right type of nitro finish. At this point I'm leaning towards doing nothing.
0

#4 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10124
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hmm, I dunno,, that's a pretty large area, which would first have to be filled then, a correct finish applied.

I'd hunt around for a repair guy in your neck of the woods that also does finish work.


Guitars are tools,,, tools get knocked around, we've all got the scars to prove it..

Sometimes you just leave em be, other times, they are bad enough where a fix is in order.

That one to me, would need some attention. I'd be concerned the area will widen over time.

If my experiences are any thing to guide you, It will be worth every penny.

These guys that do finish repairs have the right materials, and the right touch to do these repairs professionally. There is usually no guess work. They get right at it.

I don't think you're looking at much more than 50/75 USD to do something about that. (Just a wild a$$ guess..)

This post has been edited by kidblast: 07 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

/Ray
0

#5 User is offline   TheFlame 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 05-February 18

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

OK, thanks. I was thinking also that the affected area could "grow"
0

#6 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1620
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:28 AM

I'd leave it alone. I think! It's a ding, all right...

What you COULD do, if you worry it'll spread, is apply very, VERY little superglue to where the cracks could spread. That you can always buff off.

What model V is it, btw?
0

#7 User is offline   TheFlame 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 05-February 18

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostPinch, on 09 February 2018 - 04:28 AM, said:

I'd leave it alone. I think! It's a ding, all right...

What you COULD do, if you worry it'll spread, is apply very, VERY little superglue to where the cracks could spread. That you can always buff off.

What model V is it, btw?


2017 model, which came out late 2016. Gibson wasn't making a White V for a few years before that.
0

#8 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1620
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

The one with Dirty Fingers pickups? I've got an ebony one with the white pickguard, and I love it.
0

#9 User is offline   TheFlame 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 05-February 18

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostPinch, on 12 February 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

The one with Dirty Fingers pickups? I've got an ebony one with the white pickguard, and I love it.


Yes, that is the one. We swapped out the black knobs for white ones and the switch tip.
0

#10 User is offline   TheFlame 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 05-February 18

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Follow up. I had decided to have it professionally repaired since it was so big. I'm in the States, Seattle area. I took it to a very reputable (and expensive) shop. $80/hr and it took over an hour of shop time to fix (+ another small pockmark on back of neck which was irritating). The picture here is not clear, but if you look close in person you can tell, it's impossible to match colors completely. Overall, looks good. This won't become a habit though. If you want more info send me a message.

Attached File(s)


0

#11 User is offline   AngelDeVille 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: 30-March 17

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

Ding up the other wing, and it wont stand out as much.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600...
1

#12 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10124
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

View PostAngelDeVille, on 06 March 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

Ding up the other wing, and it wont stand out as much.


so maybe go back and re-read the thread bud,, he's had it fixed...

The Flame: That repair looks good!

This post has been edited by kidblast: 07 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

/Ray
0

#13 User is offline   AngelDeVille 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: 30-March 17

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

View Postkidblast, on 07 March 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

so maybe go back and re-read the thread bud,, he's had it fixed...

The Flame: That repair looks good!



I did read the thread, it's called sarcasm, lighten up.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600...
0

#14 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1620
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostTheFlame, on 06 March 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

Follow up. I had decided to have it professionally repaired since it was so big. I'm in the States, Seattle area. I took it to a very reputable (and expensive) shop. $80/hr and it took over an hour of shop time to fix (+ another small pockmark on back of neck which was irritating). The picture here is not clear, but if you look close in person you can tell, it's impossible to match colors completely. Overall, looks good. This won't become a habit though. If you want more info send me a message.


Looks good.
0

#15 User is offline   Pinch 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1620
  • Joined: 15-January 15

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

And it should, at $80... But it WAS pretty big, I'll give you that.
0

#16 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10124
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

View PostAngelDeVille, on 07 March 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

I did read the thread, it's called sarcasm, lighten up.



timing is everything

just saying..
/Ray
0

#17 User is offline   Vince Q 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 03-July 17
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

You got off cheap!
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users