Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for an Epi LP with FAT neck! Is there any to find?

Diomedes

Hello everyone.

I am playing a Fender Squier for years now since life hasnt allowed me to afford any new guitar(thanks life!)...

The neck is kinda slim and my hands are huge.Palms and fingers are crumping in order to play, not very comfy...so I am looking to get a Les Paul and all i need is a Fat, beefy neck BUT it has to be in Vintage Sunburst too.

From what i searched i found that Epiphone calls her fat necks 50's style while Gibson calls them 60's?

Anyway, i cant seem to find an epiphone with those two characteristics. The only two fat ones i found was bonnamasa and slash...could be another one or two around but they are either in black or white...and i need vintage sunburst.

Now the fun part....after i looked around in my little town in music shops, every neck was slimtaper or 60's....I held Slash's anaconda(doesnt sound right lol) and YES it is the neck I want...but it is green black and i already have a green black guitar...i want the VSB :D So i emailed Epiphone service department(talk2us from epiphones official page)...the communication was just not there....

After i explain to them ,pretty much what i said here(beefy C neck, 50's, VSB, DONT care about coil splitting etc.....dont mind either) their response was a direct link to a slimtaper, coil splitting VSB Les Paul.... back and forth i tried to explain tot hem that this is not what i want and if there is something in their catalogue with what i am looking for or maybe planned something soon with a 50's neck. I even threw the "can we make a custom guitar maybe?" for fun...They procceeded to reply "we dont make custom guitars" and the next back and forth ended up with "check our catalogue and find what you want".

Really bad PR skills right there....

ANYWAY......do you guys know if there is any guitar with a fat neck in VSB (i could concede VSB for goldtop) in the market maybe? Whats going on with 50's necks, are they abandoning them overall?

Most Epiphones have a 24.75"scale neck. a Telecaster has a 25.5" scale neck. Epihones with a 25.5" are uncommon but the do make them. Both the Nighthawk and the Blueshawk the 25.5" neck the might feel friendlier if you are accustom to a Telicaster... There are others that have the larger scale neck...

NighthawkPOP_NHAWKquiltTR.jpg

Blueshawk

BHawkWRPOP.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

I don't know much about Epiphone Les Pauls but Wildkats have fairly thick necks if I remember correctly. They are semi-hollow but shaped similar to a Les Paul. P90s are a bonus.

My Wildkat has a neck that feels wider, but not too thick ... very comfy.

You might also try an Epiphone Lucille. They have chunky necks, per B.B. King's preference, and can get very similar tones to an LP.

Most Epiphones have a 24.75"scale neck. a Telecaster has a 25.5" scale neck. Epihones with a 25.5" are uncommon but the do make them. Both the Nighthawk and the Blueshawk the 25.5" neck the might feel friendlier if you are accustom to a Telicaster... There are others that have the larger scale neck...

NighthawkPOP_NHAWKquiltTR.jpg

Blueshawk

BHawkWRPOP.jpg

Unless i misunderstood ,you are talking about length while i am talking about width of the neck and shape.

My Wildkat has a neck that feels wider, but not too thick ... very comfy.

You might also try an Epiphone Lucille. They have chunky necks, per B.B. King's preference, and can get very similar tones to an LP.

Not interested in jazz shaped guitars ,if that makes any sense. I want a 50's LP model with a fat neck, no coil splitting, humbuckersx2 and a vintage sunburst option. All they make is the 60's slimtaper kinda thing which i am not going tobuy.

Unless i misunderstood ,you are talking about length while i am talking about width of the neck and shape.

you might look at the 50's reissue models like the Les Pauls that have the rounded "C" profile neck. The slim taper "D" profile necks design Gibson started in the 60's and is what most Epiphones use now.

56 Les Paul link...

LesPaul56StandPRO_MG_Splash.jpg

Neck Shape1950's, Rounded "C" Profile

Edited by mihcmac

Fc1A8Su.jpg

Epiphone Inspired By '55 Les Paul Custom Outfit

This one! Has a really "Fat" 50's neck, American Gibson P-90 pickups, etc.

Awesome sounding, and playing (if you like Fat necks) guitar! [thumbup]

CB

Yeah....just black...P-90's....(you see the problem now? There's nothing for me just cause for some reason which i dont understand, they dont make 50's neck on their plus top models....)

In the 50's they used a few different "Rounded Profile" necks (fat necks), below is a modern Les Paul Custom design that uses the "Rounded, Custom '59 Profile".

Note that the Slim Taper D profile neck was introduced in 1961 I think...

Also note that Gibson introduced the "Humbucker" in 1957, so between 57 and 60 they had guitars with Humbuckers and Rounded neck profiles. Epiphone is reproducing them you just gotta read the details.

Neck Shape Rounded, Custom '59 Profile

LesPaulBGelotte_Splash.jpg

Neck Shape Rounded, Custom "Slash" ProfileSlashLesPaulPrem_AB_Splash.jpg

Neck Shape 1950s rounded “D” profile59LPStand_FC_Splash.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Take a look at the Traditional Pro II

This might be what you need. The neck is considerably fatter than the "normal" LPs (the Plustop, Standard, etc). It is inexpensive and has a ton of features, including some really cool color options. I bought one online and was shocked and surprised that the neck was SOOO fat compared to what I was used to. I almost returned it, but can't bear to. It is a great guitar at the price.

post-90448-042395200 1518624902_thumb.jpg

In the 50's they used a few different "Rounded Profile" necks (fat necks), below is a modern Les Paul Custom design that uses the "Rounded, Custom '59 Profile".

Note that the Slim Taper D profile neck was introduced in 1961 I think...

Also note that Gibson introduced the "Humbucker" in 1957, so between 57 and 60 they had guitars with Humbuckers and Rounded neck profiles. Epiphone is reproducing them you just gotta read the details.

Neck Shape Rounded, Custom '59 Profile

LesPaulBGelotte_Splash.jpg

Neck Shape Rounded, Custom "Slash" ProfileSlashLesPaulPrem_AB_Splash.jpg

Neck Shape 1950s rounded “D” profile59LPStand_FC_Splash.jpg

I do read the details, you dont. :) I want Vintage Sunburst finish ,something which noen of the above offers, correct me if i am wrong. On top of that, the last one you mention is out of production.

I do read the details, you dont. :) I want Vintage Sunburst finish ,something which noen of the above offers, correct me if i am wrong. On top of that, the last one you mention is out of production.

The fat necks are harder to find because Epiphone evolved to use a better thinner neck that is easier to play. The fatter Rounded neck 50.s profile are usually reissues that are limited production. You gotta find them when they are available.. Or buy a used one.

Epiphones traditionally have very thin necks, the fat neck Epiphone's are usually Gibson reproductions.

Edited by mihcmac

The fat necks are harder to find because Epiphone evolved to use a better thinner neck that is easier to play. The fatter Rounded neck 50.s profile are usually reissues that are limited production. You gotta find them when they are available.. Or buy a used one.

Epiphones traditionally have very thin necks, the fat neck Epiphone's are usually Gibson reproductions.

Well, let me say that "easier to play" is subjective. For me, and i suppose i am not alone, with my huge palms , it is easier with a fat neck. Thin necks make my hand ache.

My objection here is why cant they make one model(say standard) with extra featutes that the customer can choose: 2 options on the neck part and ofcourse the colour! Yes we will pay...or at least make 50's neck guitars with plenty of colours options once per 2 yeards production! That's what i am hoping actually, that they will make new guitars after this summer...

PS: I will buy a new one, no used for me,for now.

Well, let me say that "easier to play" is subjective. For me, and i suppose i am not alone, with my huge palms , it is easier with a fat neck. Thin necks make my hand ache.

My objection here is why cant they make one model(say standard) with extra featutes that the customer can choose: 2 options on the neck part and ofcourse the colour! Yes we will pay...or at least make 50's neck guitars with plenty of colours options once per 2 yeards production! That's what i am hoping actually, that they will make new guitars after this summer...

PS: I will buy a new one, no used for me,for now.

Better look at Gibson's, the originator of the design, if you want a new one.

Gibson Custom.....

Edited by mihcmac

Better look at Gibson's, the originator of the design, if you want a new one.

Gibson Custom.....

I am on a budget but thank you for your input,honestly. I just wanted to point out that there are no options for a 50's neck player when it comes to color and most importantly, communication with customer service sucks. Hopefully they will release something for me next year.

Do they release once per year on a standard period or multiple times ...or in random order?

Yeah, i think it has one of the most fat necks.Too bad it is green with a tremolo (i have an Squier green Hss with tremolo).

He's on about the firebird 1, in vintage sunburst and polymist gold. Not what your looking for but an amazing guitar for the money if you see one i suggest you try it.