Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for an Epi LP with FAT neck! Is there any to find?

Diomedes

On a budget, so Epiphone is the way!!! Also no Vintage Sunburst!!! :D Goldtop is the only color option i would concede though.

Most of the Epiphone Les Paul's with the 50s neck are Limited Edition production runs. Meaning they didn't make very many of them. The only way to find a selection of them is to search the internet specifically for the exact model you want. There could new ones out there hanging on a wall in a guitar shop that didn't sell, that can't be sold as new. The problem here is you need to define the "EXACT NAME" of the model with a fat neck you want and search for it.

Edited by mihcmac

You should have a look at the Epi LP Traditional Pro II. I just returned a Vintage Sunburst one a week ago because the NECK IS TOO FAT for my tastes.

The description of the guitar describes the neck as Slim Taper BUT IT IS NOT. It is a fat neck with a satin finish.

It is a great guitar and relatively inexpensive, ($500). It comes in several colors, and has coil-tap and DB Boost. Like I said, I sent it back because of the neck, but now I am considering buying it AGAIN. It was a really nice guitar, and I miss it already. Good luck.

You need a Gibson Les Paul '50 Tribute [thumbup]

1950 neck profile should be great for you.

gibson-les-paul-studio-50s-tribute-humbucker-satin-gold-top-dark-back-277060.jpg

gibson-les-paul-studio-50s-tribute-humbucker-satin-gold-top-dark-back-277061.jpg

Those Gibson Les Paul Tribute are great guitars, soft price, no upgrade needed. [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Gibson 2013 Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-2013-Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute-1-21-6/302610387203?hash=item4674fc1103:g:a8MAAOSwRE5aZIs0

s-l1600.png

Edited by Revolution Six
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok....

The Les Paul Traditional Pro II has everything i got BUT the neck. It says 1960's slimtaper D profile.

BUT

Feedback from user's says it is a typo and that it is indeed a 1950's neck and FAT.

Can anyone confirm?

Yes, I can confirm that the Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro II has a thick, fat neck. I'm accustomed to the thinner necks on the LP Custom, the Sheraton II etc; in contrast, the LP Traditional Pro II neck is so thick that it gets fatiguing to me after about half an hour.

From thickest to slimmest:

Epiphone Limited Edition 1955 Les Paul Custom (thickest) > Epi LP Traditional Pro/Traditional Pro II > Epi 1956 LP P90 Pro > Epi LP Slash Rosso Corsa > Epi LP Standard/Standard Plus Top Pro > Epi LP Custom/Custom Pro

Edited by iankinzel
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Yes, I can confirm that the Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro II has a thick, fat neck. I'm accustomed to the thinner necks on the LP Custom, the Sheraton II etc; in contrast, the LP Traditional Pro II neck is so thick that it gets fatiguing to me after about half an hour.

From thickest to slimmest:

Epiphone Limited Edition 1955 Les Paul Custom (thickest) > Epi LP Traditional Pro/Traditional Pro II > Epi 1956 LP P90 Pro > Epi LP Slash Rosso Corsa > Epi LP Standard/Standard Plus Top Pro > Epi LP Custom/Custom Pro

Thanks for the confirmation, this helped me decide. I really do wish Epiphone's site was maintained with more care - it confused me a great deal. For me the neck is the most important spec for any guitar.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2010 Epi LP Standard PlusTop in Antique Natural...The neck is great.Feels as fat as several actual  50s Les Pauls (Standard 56 GoldTop, & 50-something Juniors & Specials)  that I've owned My 2018 Mojave Fade has a slim,60s style neck that feels equally wonderful & I have no problem switching from one to the other.

20190802_235628.jpg