Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson B-45 tuning

The Tony

Hello everyone,

I just recently bought a 1967 Gibson B45-12. This particular one is in near perfect condition with the exception of usual wear and nicks you would expect to see on an older guitar.

I was wondering what the best option would be tuning wise. If I'm correct in saying this, Gibson added a second X bracing by this time making it stronger and able to handle more tension. Would I be safe tuning it to standard E? Or am I better off tuning it to D? I used to play a 70's Japanese Epiphone and the body collapsed when the tension pulled the neck up. Just don't want to risk anything happening to this one.

Thanks!

-Tony

I would start at D or even #C. Not many of these have survived in 'excellent' condition so I wouldn't risk anything. Is it trap tail or pin bridge? That would make a difference, Gibsons serial numbers were shaky, at best, in the '60s. No matter what it is I would be very reluctant to tune to E. I am no expert (hopefully they will be along shortly), I am not even sure they had the double X then. I thought they were longitudinal braced beside the X starting in the early '60s.

Post a picture if you can. It always helps to verify.

Archived