Gibson Brands Forums

If you had a $3000 budget...what guitar would you buy?

Jinder

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go for this Townes van Zandt Martin D-35 custom, and pony up the extra $899 from my own pocket.

https://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/Martin-MFG-Custom-D-35-Townes-Van-Zandt-20658728.html

It would be a long distance purchase, and that is the last guitar available, but if there is a will there is a way... [biggrin]

Lars

Does it come with a bottle of whisky and pistol included?

Love TVZ

JC

Well Jinder, it looks like you already have the ones that I'd pick.

I recall you saying that you had considered getting a J-185, but the salesman talked you out of it. Something like he was afraid you would try playing it too hard to get the projection you're used to with a J-200?

I had a quick look through various listings in the US that I have bookmarked, and $3K doesn’t seem to be enough, Jinder!

Can we have some more?

$5K would get me the J45 from Pre War Guitar Co, bit less for their 000 and O’s....

$4K would get a bellied 1938 Martin 00-17 or a 49 Martin 000-18.

Can I just take the $3K in Australia? I would get a used Maton 808 Tommy E with Hiscox case AND a used Maton Australia!

BluesKing777.

Yes, this. ^^^ Maybe a deposit to hold it? But if you don't like it you would probably lose the deposit.

They also have the 0% 24 month financing as well. You could buy it now and then pay it off in June.

One downside in these scenarios is that you wouldn't be able to play it first, though.

A nice dilemma!

I’ve spoken to Wildwood and to the wedding organiser and have put a deposit on the AJ Maple Ltd...I’ve been chasing one of these guitars for the last two years, played one in Glasgow which blew my socks off, but was gone before I got the money together. I then went after one in Surrey which sold before I could get my mitts on it, then went a-hunting elsewhere, none in Europe that i could find bar one that came up secondhand in Ireland but sold in hours.

The one at Wildwood seems to be the last of that batch of 65 left for sale anywhere...I couldn’t let it get away. If it’s half as good as the one I played in Glasgow it will be incredible. Just got to wait until June now to get my hands on it!!

I’ve spoken to Wildwood and to the wedding organiser and have put a deposit on the AJ Maple Ltd...I’ve been chasing one of these guitars for the last two years, played one in Glasgow which blew my socks off, but was gone before I got the money together. I then went after one in Surrey which sold before I could get my mitts on it, then went a-hunting elsewhere, none in Europe that i could find bar one that came up secondhand in Ireland but sold in hours.

The one at Wildwood seems to be the last of that batch of 65 left for sale anywhere...I couldn’t let it get away. If it’s half as good as the one I played in Glasgow it will be incredible. Just got to wait until June now to get my hands on it!!

Great news! Congratulations, Jinder.

Yeah Yuh!

Me? I'd buy the best spruce/mahogany instrument available at the price point regardless of the name on the headstock. I've owned many rosewood guitars in the past but I'll never go back. But I will add that spruce/maple runs a close second! [biggrin]

Like how you think, Buc. Nothing sings like mahogany.

I would throw in a kilo more and enter the time-machine.

Simply re-buy one of the classics already owned and bury yourself in the beautiful sounds and looks of an oldie

(to compare with the contemporary version would be a trip in itself).

In other words find a jewel of a home-guitar - the holy wooden grrraaiil blessed by the acoustic lords.

Have the feeling you're not a vintage guy - but things change and now may be the time.

What great story.well deserved.you have to play it for us forum nerds when you get it.love to hear it.

As entertaining as this has been, I can't imagine making guitar suggestions for a player with your experience.

However...

I must admit I DO have questions about the tax liabilities involved in such a deal with several Countries and at least 1 State involved.

Oh well, it's not like any of the details have been splattered around the internet or anything.....

Enjoy 'Murica, Jinder !

[thumbup]

In all the decades I gigged, I refused to play weddings. $3K though, whether it be in cash or a guitar, might have swayed me. No clue as to what I would buy though. With me, it would probably be something like a Harmony Sovereign 1265 with the two asymmetrical pickguards. While these do not run anywhere near $3K, they occupy that territory where they are still expensive enough to make you sit down and have to chew on it before a purchase.

I’m startig to think the same as a few have said.

How often you in America ? How often you get 3000 to spend ... youve plenty there to be gigging with .... a nice old guitar with plenty of songs in it

Hard to come by over this side of the river unless you want a neck set hanging over you

I’d check them out

As entertaining as this has been, I can't imagine making guitar suggestions for a player with your experience.

However...

I must admit I DO have questions about the tax liabilities involved in such a deal with several Countries and at least 1 State involved.

Oh well, it's not like any of the details have been splattered around the internet or anything.....

Enjoy 'Murica, Jinder !

[thumbup]

I will have to pay import tax on it, but it’s worth the sacrifice as the Maple AJ isn’t a beast that’s obtainable in the UK anymore, at least not at present...I’ll bite the bullet tax wise happily. It comes with a CITES permit too which takes a lot of the cross-border sweat out of the deal thankfully.

I think he has the '67 J45, no? Are you saying older? It could be done!

I do have a ‘67 J45, it’s a beauty. An early ‘30s steel bodied Dobro M32, too. I love vintage instruments but I do tend to favour more recent (late ‘80s onwards) guits for gigging as I tend to worry less about them when carting them all over the place. Now the Maple AJ is in the bag, my dream collection is nearly complete...I need a classy parlour at some point, and I’ll definitely go vintage for that as it’ll be a house/studio only guitar. As a 6’7”, 18st man I look like a bear with a twig when playing out with a parlour!

A really nice new guitar is a really nice new guitar, a vintage guitar is one of a kind (imo)

I find both new and vintage pieces appealing, especially if the new guitar is a rather limited model.

I just went through this with a recent quest for a J-50. Had been looking at vintage & newer models, but then came upon a NOS 2015 custom shop model with, I believe, a run of seventy-something guitars at a very reasonable price & apparently not another one available anywhere. Took a chance & it arrived yesterday. Dead mint, with warranty, superb neck for my hands, very full & even tone, lovely natural Honduras mahogany b&s, and beautiful wide grain spruce top (which I often prefer regardless of conventional wisdom). In short, virtually everything I could have asked for in a J-50. Mojo, I'll create myself!

Wildwood's maple AJ seems like a rather similar situation. Very limited model, good price-price, and the potential to have a killer tone. As a fan of maple, that strikes me as something worth a leap of faith.

Jinder, hope it turns out to be a golden guitar moment!

Archived