Gibson Brands Forums

If you had a $3000 budget...what guitar would you buy?

Jinder

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has a point there.

So has he, , , the Murph up there. .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pardon, Jinder, for forgetting the 67'er.

Hadn't checked your list for a while and I don't believe you gave it much page-play here. Am I wrong again, , , if no, please do. . .

So has he, , , the Murph up there. .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pardon, Jinder, for forgetting the 67'er.

Hadn't checked your list for a while and I don't believe you gave it much page-play here. Am I wrong again, , , if no, please do. . .

I perhaps sometimes get lost in the more decorative guitars...have been thrilling to my ‘90 Bird and ‘05 CS Bird 12 for the last few months, but the ‘67 45 is a wonderful piece. Really crisp and direct but warm and woody. Here’s a Townes song from my last LP which I’m playing it on:

What guitar would you buy (in the US) for $3000?

I’m playing a show at a wedding in Denver in June as I mentioned before, and am being paid in the form of a guitar-unconventional I know, but I’m not complaining!

I’ve suggested a trip to Wildwood for the purchase, so I’ll be driven there and given my choice of guitar with a maximum budget of $3000.

I’d really like to pick up a Maple AJ, a Maple J45 or a J185, but I have no idea if any of those will be in stock at the time.

My question is, what would you spend your $3000 on? I’d not be averse to the idea of a Martin OM or D18/D35, but obviously I’m a Gibson player at heart.

Any suggestions would be great. I currently own an SJ200, Dove, Hummingbird, Hummingbird 12 and a ‘67 J45.

I am a Gibson fan myself and I have a Limited Hummingbird that I love, but a Martin HD 35 would fit into your arsenal really good IMO.

Good Luck!

I would take the credit..put in the difference or trade in something I have to buy something special.

If I had no acoustic guitar and would pick only one Id pick a good Lowden.

I think a good Lowden is one of the few new/recent guitars that is as good as a 1940's Gibson or Martin.

Really interesting thoughts, as have been everyone’s on this thread...I love the sound of Lowdens in the hands of other players, but I’ve never played one that suited my playing or jived with me just right. There’s something about the boom, clang and sting of a great Gibson that just fits me perfectly. Maybe it’s just because I’ve played them forever, but I can always make a Gibson do EXACTLY what I want at any time with subtle changes of attack both with fingers or flatpick.

Then again, if I’d always played Lowdens or Martins, I’m sure I’d have some other symbiosis with those guitars.

I do love the build quality and finish of a Lowden though-stunningly well put together guitars.

I've spoken to Wildwood and to the wedding organiser and have put a deposit on the AJ Maple Ltd...

Well, major congrats on that! For me, I would have gone for a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio 12-string.

Or a New Hartford-built Guild F512, which are really hard to find anywhere....

Jinder,

This maple AJ just popped up on Wildwood's site ... wasn't there a couple days ago. It didn't show up on the New Arrivals page, just in the Gibby section. With only 65 made, I figured there was

a chance this was "yours" and it mistakenly got released into the available stock.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/10416044/limited-edition-advanced-jumbo-flame-deluxe/?cat_id=368

Jinder,

This maple AJ just popped up on Wildwood's site ... wasn't there a couple days ago. It didn't show up on the New Arrivals page, just in the Gibby section. With only 65 made, I figured there was

a chance this was "yours" and it mistakenly got released into the available stock.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/10416044/limited-edition-advanced-jumbo-flame-deluxe/?cat_id=368

Yep, that’s the one. I need to double check that the deposit has actually been put down on it as promised!

Yep, that’s the one. I need to double check that the deposit has actually been put down on it as promised!

I just talked to Wildwood and they are ready to sell this guitar to anyone that offers them $2600. FYI. Tried to message you but I got an auto reply saying your account couldn't accept any more.

This is all sorted now-I have the receipt and it’s being picked up next week to be stored until I arrive in June. The delay was due to the lady in question being laid up with ‘flu for a week, but it’s now paid in full...and thanks to your info Mr. Paul, it came for a sweet $2600 plus taxes, and with a full CITES permit for me to bring it back to the UK after my US show.

Thanks all!

This is all sorted now-I have the receipt and it’s being picked up next week to be stored until I arrive in June. The delay was due to the lady in question being laid up with ‘flu for a week, but it’s now paid in full...and thanks to your info Mr. Paul, it came for a sweet $2600 plus taxes, and with a full CITES permit for me to bring it back to the UK after my US show.

Thanks all!

Be a long wait knowing that’s sitting there jinder 😕

Archived