Gibson Brands Forums

If you had a $3000 budget...what guitar would you buy?

Jinder

I’ve asked Bruce for his opinion on keeping it humidified in my absence, so I’ll await his advice. Do Gibsons in the US still ship with an Oasys style humidifier? We don’t get them in the UK, but my ‘02 AJ had one when it was imported.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For just a "few" dollars more you could get this Gibson maple jumbo... :-)

https://www.tfoa.eu/nl/gibson-gibson-prototype-jumbo-14-fret-dreadnought.html

http://www.vintageguitar.com/21778/gibsons-earliest-dreadnought/

Lars

I know and have played this guitar. It's lovely. But, imvho, was not built in 1929. Yes, the label sports a 129 serial number. As George says in the video, "at least the serial number is 1929." But, that sprayed sunburst is of mid-1930s vintage. In 1929, Gibson still used hand-rubbed sunburst.

There's precedent for Gibson slapping old labels into new guitars. The Nick Lucases often feature labels created long before the guitars were completed.

Anyway, it is a very cool guitar.

My 2017 J-15 did NOT have one.

My '03 J-45 did.

Thanks Murph-I heard back from Bruce, apparently Gibson no longer supply them as standard but he’s going to include one for me anyway. I really can’t speak highly enough of the service from Wildwood, they’ve been extremely helpful and responsive, really great!

Thanks Murph-I heard back from Bruce, apparently Gibson no longer supply them as standard but he’s going to include one for me anyway. I really can’t speak highly enough of the service from Wildwood, they’ve been extremely helpful and responsive, really great!

There's and Adirondack over Maple AJ for sale on AGF if anyone is looking:

My link

I came to this party a little late but I'm sure you will have fun making the decision. Looking at the guitars in your stable I would think a Martin 00028 or if you can get it a 00045 although I would guess that could be over budget. The 00028EC is also an option but the neck on the standard is better. Yes go for a Martin 00028.

Pretty happy with my Gibson line up (Hummingbird, J45, and AJ Pro) the only Gibson i covet is a birth year (1952) J50, which is way over $3,000, so i would go for a used HD28VS

how do you like your JF30-12

I bought one last week it was privately owned by none other than John English and was most likely custom built for him back in the 90's through the Fender/Guild relationship. There is no model number and quite honestly they never made models with this grade of flame. This one also has an ebony board.

This was privately bought from Johns daughter by one of the UK's leading collectors.

makes a nice change from the Gibsons

I'm going to suggest a maple bodied AJ, but that's just me.

My original reply is lost in the pages of yore on this thread, but the Maple AJ is bought and paid for! Picking it up when I’m in CO in June 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up an SJ200 B-Stock for $3000 CDN ($2300 USD) Perfect - no obvious flaws Something to think about.

That’s a great deal, Mike!! I already have an SJ200 which I love, but if I didn’t (and hadn’t bought the Maple AJ) I’d be sniffing around for a deal like that right away!

Archived