Gibson Brands Forums

If you had a $3000 budget...what guitar would you buy?

Jinder

What guitar would you buy (in the US) for $3000?

I’m playing a show at a wedding in Denver in June as I mentioned before, and am being paid in the form of a guitar-unconventional I know, but I’m not complaining!

I’ve suggested a trip to Wildwood for the purchase, so I’ll be driven there and given my choice of guitar with a maximum budget of $3000.

I’d really like to pick up a Maple AJ, a Maple J45 or a J185, but I have no idea if any of those will be in stock at the time.

My question is, what would you spend your $3000 on? I’d not be averse to the idea of a Martin OM or D18/D35, but obviously I’m a Gibson player at heart.

Any suggestions would be great. I currently own an SJ200, Dove, Hummingbird, Hummingbird 12 and a ‘67 J45.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You’re getting paid $3000 for a gig !?!

I like your stuff but ....

😂

It’s mental, I know...it’s quite an involved gig though that requires me to be in the US for the best part of a week, sourcing local PA hire and setting up the venue two days in advance of the show. Cash payment isn’t an option (not sure why, presumably something tax related) but they’re happy to pay me in guitar form. It’s a strange world...

Boy oh boy, that maple AJ is sure sweet!

Call Wildwood & see if maybe you can work out some kind of a hold. After all, they've already had it for over a year, so what's a few more months? Kinda doubt you'll run into a new J-185, since they're not making them this year. Have fun looking!

I would go for this Townes van Zandt Martin D-35 custom, and pony up the extra $899 from my own pocket.

https://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/Martin-MFG-Custom-D-35-Townes-Van-Zandt-20658728.html

It would be a long distance purchase, and that is the last guitar available, but if there is a will there is a way... [biggrin]

Lars

Nice

Couldn’t live with that pickguard though Lars

Boy oh boy, that maple AJ is sure sweet!

Call Wildwood & see if maybe you can work out some kind of a hold. After all, they've already had it for over a year, so what's a few more months? Kinda doubt you'll run into a new J-185, since they're not making them this year. Have fun looking!

Yes, this. ^^^ Maybe a deposit to hold it? But if you don't like it you would probably lose the deposit.

They also have the 0% 24 month financing as well. You could buy it now and then pay it off in June.

One downside in these scenarios is that you wouldn't be able to play it first, though.

A nice dilemma!

Archived