Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Aficianado

drathbun

I was flipping through one of my favourite issues of Guitar Aficionado (Vol 4 / No 9 - May 2012) this morning. It is one of my favourites because it has Dhani Harrison's collection of his father George's most famous guitars in it. As I flipped through, I saw an advertisement for the exact model of my 2012 Gibson Golden Age SJ200. There were only 75 made of each maple and rosewood. I didn't even acquire the guitar until 2015!

So I'm making a framed poster of the advertisement to hang next to the guitar and the framed certificate. This was a nice surprise!

guitaraficianato.png

goldenad72.png

goldenageadvert72.png

I was flipping through one of my favourite issues of Guitar Aficionado (Vol 4 / No 9 - May 2012) this morning. It is one of my favourites because it has Dhani Harrison's collection of his father George's most famous guitars in it. As I flipped through, I saw an advertisement for the exact model of my 2012 Gibson Golden Age SJ200. There were only 75 made of each maple and rosewood. I didn't even acquire the guitar until 2015!

So I'm making a framed poster of the advertisement to hang next to the guitar and the framed certificate. This was a nice surprise!

guitaraficianato.png

goldenad72.png

goldenageadvert72.png

Glad I got my rosewood version back in 2012!

JC

looks like a great guitar. I was disappointed when GA Magazine went under. I had a susbscription and enjoyed their articles. So Now I get Guitar Player to fill out the subscription, not even close to the same Mag.

Yeah. I only bought Playboy for the articles too.

Nice colour choice for the walls too

Had the same thought. The serious neutral gray really backs the fantabulous burst (and guard) on this guitar.

But notice the tiny case - is it for capos w. a lid-box for plecs, , , and what colour is the plush. . .

I thought most of Harrison's "famous" guitars were long gone. The original rosewood Tele was given to Delaney Bramlett. The black Rick with the added pickup is in private hands. The J-200 which appears on the Nashville Skyline obviously went to Dylan and so on. I did see one of those History Detective shows though where refinished Red Lester which had been owned by not only Harrison but Clapton and had been stolen or something but tracked down and returned to Harrison .

I thought most of Harrison's "famous" guitars were long gone. The original rosewood Tele was given to Delaney Bramlett. The black Rick with the added pickup is in private hands. The J-200 which appears on the Nashville Skyline obviously went to Dylan and so on. I did see one of those History Detective shows though where refinished Red Lester which had been owned by not only Harrison but Clapton and had been stolen or something but tracked down and returned to Harrison .

George had plenty of iconic guitars. The guitars in the possession of the Harrison estate discussed in the article (there are way more guitars than this) are:

"Rocky" the 1961 Fender Strat purchased as part of a part of "sonic blue" strats for John and George, by Mal Evans. George painted his by hand with 'dayglo' colours and Patti's nail varnish. Later on, during his solo career, George set it up for slide. I'm sure you can hear it on "Free As a Bird".

dhaniharrison_5695.jpg

1962 Gibson J160e purchased at Rushworth's music as part of a pair that went to George and John but was mixed up. So George got John's and vice versa. John's (originally George's) was stolen and he had it replaced. The original just turned up recently and was auctioned off for quite a sum.

DhaniHarrison_6096b.jpg?format=500w

1968 Fender Rosewood Telecaster given to him by Fender and played on the Abbey Road rooftop. The guitar was given to Delaney Bramlett and later recovered by Olivia.

big_dhani-harrison.jpg?v=1518059910

1957 Gretsch DuoJet purchased by George from a merchant seaman in Liverpool. George called it his "first good guitar". Harrison retired it for his collection of Country Gents and then the Tennessean. He then gave it to Klaus Voorman who owned it for a couple decades until George recovered it back from him, restored it, then posed with it for the "Cloud Nine" album cover.

R-1051498-1443798983-8239.jpeg.jpg

1963 Rickenbacker 360/12 given to George by Rickenbacker owner F. C. Hall in New York in February 1964 during their Ed Sullivan US appearance. George was sick in bed and didn't attend the display of Rickenbacker's Hall had on display for the Beatles at the Savoy Hotel. Lennon thought George would really like the 12 string so they went over to visit George and he played it sitting in bed for a while. He was on the phone with a radio station and mentioned he was playing a new Rickenbacker 12 string. The DJ asked George if he would play it if the station purchased it for him and he said "sure"! That radio station eventually purchased and later presented George with his second Rickenbacker 12 string (new style) which was eventually stolen from Abbey Road along with Paul's original Hofner (Cavern) bass. The Rick that survives is the second one ever made by Rickenbacker and is a prototype. It was shipped back to England and appeared in the studio and on record immediately on February 25, 1964, with their recording of "You Can't Do That".

215.jpg?w=882

I realize this is way more information than anyone asked for but it is a slow Saturday for this Beatle nut. ;)

BTW, who has this guitar now? I has played some very classic tunes!

j-200.jpg

c229fac23c9e9a29a47b09adc27402af.jpg

guitaraficianato.png

goldenad72.png

goldenageadvert72.png

Does that young man favor is Dad or what!!!????

Archived