Gibson Brands Forums

MHS pups in 2018 335’s

Pat in the hat

I can't give you an A-B in a 335 but in the guitars I have and have had with MHS (two LP-ES) and BB's (a 2017 ES-335 and a Midtown custom) I can say I like the MHS better.

Now BB's in a 335 vs. the 57's? These I do have both in 335's and It's not even close, the 57's win hands down. I wish they had never changed from the 57's which I like the best of the bunch in my 2000 335 :-)

Funny there are players who like the BB's a lot, and some not so much the 57's but so far I haven't heard any negative comments on the MHS.

• 2 months later...

It looks like the new pup specs for 2018 335s is the MHS with orange drop capacitors. Has anybody done an A/B comparison with this new spec versus prior Burstbuckers in a 335?

Haven't done the comparison but out of the P-Up's I have had in GIBSON Guitars over the decades, the 2018 MHS Pick-Up's in my ES-335 are my favorite by a wide margin. Only other P-Up I liked even remotely close to them were the coverless 'Dirty Fingers' I had in a 1979 'SG'....'Dirty Fingers' were much BRIGHTER sounding and were a FIT on that Guitar. The TONAL WIDTH or wide variations of TONES I can get out of this ES-335 is INCREDIBLE the MHS Pick-Up's are soo flexible, I LOVE this new ES-335, I just got it.The BB's & '57 Classics I have had as well as 490 R & T's are all GREAT Pick-Up's IMO, but compared to these MHS, they just do not stack up to the MHS in this new ES-335 .....it might be interesting to hear how these other P-Up's sound in this particular Guitar as well......

In order of Pref?

MHS, Dirty Fingers (only on a Bridge of a Solid Body),'57 Classics, BB Pro's, 490's........and I am not dissing any of them, they are all OUTSTANDING, the 490's in my li'l 'SG' Special HOWL...and are a perfect fit for that Guitar.

Archived