Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul Truss Rod Issues - Update

Larsongs

I sent my Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul w/ Bigsby to Gibson Memphis about a month ago. I sent an email a couple days ago to find out what's happening. Later that day I got a Text from Fed Ex saying it would be delivered back to me the next day. No paperwork noting what had been done?

In my other Thread I mentioned the Truss Rod problem. They seem to have resolved that as it is Set Up beautifully now. I really don't want to mess with the Truss Rod Nut to find out. I will see if the Tool fits though.

They also buffed out all the Factory Scratches that were in it when I originally received it from Sweetwater. It looks almost like the surface of my Black Corvette now!

I think they must've adjusted the Pickups too as it sounds so much better.

I would like to have a copy of the Work Order stating what was done. Is it customery to receive such a thing for Warranty Repair?

They did a great job & I'm very pleased with it now. I also like the fact that with the Bigsby it only weighs 7 lbs. Very light & comfortable to play..

Lars

Sidenote; I had Sweetwater install a Bigsby & Vibramate. Gibson had no issue with Warranty Repair because of the Install.

Glad it worked out and you are pleased with the result.

Sort of disappointing that they didn't include any explanation of what they did. The truss rod wrench not fitting was very concerning and I would have really liked to know how it was corrected?

Anyway glad you're pleased and that is sounds even better now. [thumbup] [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Feel free to call our Customer Service Department in the US and tell them the RMA number and/or serial number of the guitar. They can find out for you:

1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

I sent my Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul w/ Bigsby to Gibson Memphis about a month ago. I sent an email a couple days ago to find out what's happening. Later that day I got a Text from Fed Ex saying it would be delivered back to me the next day. No paperwork noting what had been done?

In my other Thread I mentioned the Truss Rod problem. They seem to have resolved that as it is Set Up beautifully now. I really don't want to mess with the Truss Rod Nut to find out. I will see if the Tool fits though.

They also buffed out all the Factory Scratches that were in it when I originally received it from Sweetwater. It looks almost like the surface of my Black Corvette now!

I think they must've adjusted the Pickups too as it sounds so much better.

I would like to have a copy of the Work Order stating what was done. Is it customery to receive such a thing for Warranty Repair?

They did a great job & I'm very pleased with it now. I also like the fact that with the Bigsby it only weighs 7 lbs. Very light & comfortable to play..

Lars

Sidenote; I had Sweetwater install a Bigsby & Vibramate. Gibson had no issue with Warranty Repair because of the Install.

Feel free to call our Customer Service Department in the US and tell them the RMA number and/or serial number of the guitar. They can find out for you:

1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

First of all, I'm really happy to hear they gave you such great customer service, and really gave it the care it deserved.

That said, I'm surprised they honored the warranty because of the mods you said were done by the dealer.

The Warranty clearly states that the Warranty does not cover "Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way....."

My question is to Stijn Vergeest (or other Gibson Customer Service):

What is the explanation here? Did you decide to make and exception?

I know this sounds like a complaint, but it is more like the opposite. The reason for the question is so we (I, at least) can know what to expect from the Warranty. As the original owner of many new Gibsons, this is important to me.

And also should be important to Gibson, as this is a most favorable report instead of the usual Gibson bashing that pervades.

First of all, I'm really happy to hear they gave you such great customer service, and really gave it the care it deserved.

That said, I'm surprised they honored the warranty because of the mods you said were done by the dealer.

The Warranty clearly states that the Warranty does not cover "Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way....."

My question is to Stijn Vergeest (or other Gibson Customer Service):

What is the explanation here? Did you decide to make and exception?

I know this sounds like a complaint, but it is more like the opposite. The reason for the question is so we (I, at least) can know what to expect from the Warranty. As the original owner of many new Gibsons, this is important to me.

And also should be important to Gibson, as this is a most favorable report instead of the usual Gibson bashing that pervades.

The Vibramate & addition of the Bigsby B-5 doesn't require any modification to the Guitar of any kind & can be totallly reversed to Original condition. No holes, or whatever.

The Vibramate & addition of the Bigsby B-5 doesn't require any modification to the Guitar of any kind & can be totallly reversed to Original condition. No holes, or whatever.

I understand your point of view, but I don't know where Gibson draws the line. "Reversibility" itself does not make the change *not* a modification. No matter what we "think" constitutes a modification, the only definition that matters in this case is Gibson's. So I'd still like to get this explained by Gibson.

I understand your point of view, but I don't know where Gibson draws the line. "Reversibility" itself does not make the change *not* a modification. No matter what we "think" constitutes a modification, the only definition that matters in this case is Gibson's. So I'd still like to get this explained by Gibson.

I bought the Guitar from Sweetwater. They have a Mod shop. I requested the addition of the B-5 Bigsby & Vibramate as I'd been told by a friend that it wouldn't void the Warranty. Sweetwater checked with Gibson & said that was correct information. They did the Mod.

Sometime later I had to send it to Gibson for Warranty Work as mentioned in the OP. Prior to sending I talked to a Gibson Rep & told him about the Mod. I saked if it was a problem. He said, No, because the actual Guitar hadn't been modifed with new drilled Holes & could be put back to Original Condition as it came from the Factory.

Hope that helps.

Lars

I bought the Guitar from Sweetwater. They have a Mod shop. I requested the addition of the B-5 Bigsby & Vibramate as I'd been told by a friend that it wouldn't void the Warranty. Sweetwater checked with Gibson & said that was correct information. They did the Mod.

Sometime later I had to send it to Gibson for Warranty Work as mentioned in the OP. Prior to sending I talked to a Gibson Rep & told him about the Mod. I saked if it was a problem. He said, No, because the actual Guitar hadn't been modifed with new drilled Holes & could be put back to Original Condition as it came from the Factory.

Hope that helps.

Lars

Yes, that certainly helps, thanks. It was good you did your homework. Warranty work may not ever come up in the future for me, but it is nice to know there is some latitude there. I hope having the warranty precludes the need for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived