Gibson Brands Forums: 2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio Project - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio Project Clean up and Modernization of a Timeless Classic

#1 User is offline   1BDMOJO 

• Group: All Access

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

Good day all! New to the forum but certainly not new to Les Paul guitars. I have just purchased a 2005 Les Paul and am about to begin some restoration work in it. The original owner was apparently somewhat acidic as a sweat producer and the Tune-o-matic and tailpiece are corroded beyond repair. I am considering a roller bridge and new tailpiece as a replacement for the old corroded kit. Does anyone have any recommendations for the new hotness?
Also, the body of the guitar is the open grain mahogany. I DO NOT desire to polish it but want to clean the years of smoke and body oils out of the pores of the wood then apply a protective coat of something. Any recommendations here would be nice as well!

Thanks all!

#2 User is offline   1BDMOJO 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

0 replies... Thanks anyway.

#3 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Also, the body of the guitar is the open grain mahogany. I DO NOT desire to polish it but want to clean the years of smoke and body oils out of the pores of the wood then apply a protective coat of something. Any recommendations here would be nice as well!

If you dont want to re-finish, grain fill etc, then just use a Gibson cleaner polish, im not sure why your set against that, the other alternative is Murphys oil soap or depending how bad naptha but that gets back to cleaning and polishing. The mahogany finished as such wont get a glass smooth finish anyway unless you fill it. Is the top maple?

#4 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

For a new stopbar and hardware have a look to Pkiladelphia Luthier, good quality and cool prices

Chrome aluminium USA stopbar : http://www.philadelp...rs-made-in-usa/
Have alook to other models, great choice.

Tone Pros roller bridge is great (Nashville bridge)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

No pics, no interest.
2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."óJol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users