Gibson Brands Forums

2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio Project

1BDMOJO

Good day all! New to the forum but certainly not new to Les Paul guitars. I have just purchased a 2005 Les Paul and am about to begin some restoration work in it. The original owner was apparently somewhat acidic as a sweat producer and the Tune-o-matic and tailpiece are corroded beyond repair. I am considering a roller bridge and new tailpiece as a replacement for the old corroded kit. Does anyone have any recommendations for the new hotness?

Also, the body of the guitar is the open grain mahogany. I DO NOT desire to polish it but want to clean the years of smoke and body oils out of the pores of the wood then apply a protective coat of something. Any recommendations here would be nice as well!

Thanks all!

Also, the body of the guitar is the open grain mahogany. I DO NOT desire to polish it but want to clean the years of smoke and body oils out of the pores of the wood then apply a protective coat of something. Any recommendations here would be nice as well!

If you dont want to re-finish, grain fill etc, then just use a Gibson cleaner polish, im not sure why your set against that, the other alternative is Murphys oil soap or depending how bad naptha but that gets back to cleaning and polishing. The mahogany finished as such wont get a glass smooth finish anyway unless you fill it. Is the top maple?

For a new stopbar and hardware have a look to Pkiladelphia Luthier, good quality and cool prices

Chrome aluminium USA stopbar : http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/chrome-aluminum-tailpiece-w-studs-and-anchors-for-us-gibson-guitars-made-in-usa/

Have alook to other models, great choice.

Tone Pros roller bridge is great (Nashville bridge)

toneProsNashville-RollerSerieBridge-TP6R-C2.jpg

You could try one of the new locking nuts and of course the stop bar tail pieces and bridge of your choice. As for cleaning it? I would take it up to a good woodworking store like woodworkers source or something of that nature. They can tell how much of the oils can be removed without damaging what is left of your finish. Murphy's leaves a film in my experience it is more for furniture. The cleaners they have for musical instruments are pretty good though. I don't know if I would go with the usual junk from the guitar stores but, try looking for classical instrument (violin,strat type cleaners) they are more expensive but you can tell why; hundreds of G's in value vs.hundreds of dollars. Like I said it is hard to know how much can be done without actually looking at it. Maybe even a light 1200-2400 sanding would help??? don't know, good luck

j

Archived