Gibson Brands Forums

So, what is your DREAM "Epiphone!"

charlie brown

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing I'd like to see, again, is another version of the '62 Sheraton, with mini-humbuckers, that more "Gibson like"

headstock, and (again) the 2 hole TRC and Gibson style Truss Rod. With color options, of Walnut, Vintage Cherry, Natural,

and Vintage (body outlined) Sunburst, with option of stop bar, frequensator, and Bigsby tailpieces. Too much, to ask/hope for?

Time will tell. :rolleyes:[biggrin]

CB

It's a bass, I know, but considering what the older ones are going for, right now, there's got to be a market for them. In natural, of course.

Rivoli_zps50d5d19a.jpg

YES!!! In Short Scale! They had a reissue, several years ago...what happened to it? I could NEVER find one, in ANY color, in any of the Gibson/Epiphone dealers,

I looked into in Kansas, Colorado, or Oklahoma. [tongue][cursing][crying]

CB

I vote for a real Epi guitar, not a Gibson copy

For once i kind of agree, ditch the seemingly endless variations of Lp. Make coronet and wilshire standard models instead.

Also get the message and make sheraton and riviera 'correct' spec with minis and varitone.

For once i kind of agree, ditch the seemingly endless variations of Lp. Make coronet and wilshire standard models instead.

Also get the message and make sheraton and riviera 'correct' spec with minis and varitone.

I don't think Rev6 would care. He seems to think anything made by Epiphone is garbage. Funny, that's what I think of most of his posts.

Yes , a real Epiphone guitar, not a bad Gibson copy

1962 Wilshire Reissue

You do realise Gibson designed Epiphone guitars after they took it over (yes, even in the USA). Did you just admit to liking an Epiphone? Are you feeling ok? You might have to check yourself into rehab. You do know Epaminondas (Epi) had nothing to do with the design of that guitar, so is it really an Epiphone? The company was founded under a different name in the Ottoman Empire NOT the USA, so I would have thought you'd argue anything not made there prior to 1903 by founder Anastasios Stathopoulos is not really an Epiphone...or should I say a Stathopoulos? [tongue]

Crestwood Custom, I prefer real Epi design !

Not Gibson copy

Gibson designed that. They bought Epi in 57 and that line was launched in 58.

That said, I really like those Epiphone Crestwood/Wilshire/Coronet/Olympics from then til 69 and mine drew interest from people when I gigged it. [thumbup]

I prefer real Epi design !

Change the record... and if you won't at least get your facts straight. You might want to read Walter Carter's Epiphone book as you seem to not understand the history of Epiphone. If you are going to be so anal about them at least get things right. You keep going on about 'real' Epiphones, but even though the Wilshire is a great guitar as both me and Scales have pointed out they were made and designed when Gibson had taken over the company. I believe Epiphone themselves never made a solid body guitar and were reluctant to make electric instruments. A 'real' Epiphone as you put it would be when Epi owned Epiphone - meaning some of the great archtops (like the original Broadway) would actually be considered true Epiphone guitars. So politely, either shut up, get a life or move on to annoy other forums with your dumb comments.

Personally, I like both old and new Epiphones. I have quite a few modern ones which I enjoy playing and I still have my first electric - a limited honeyburst Epi LP100 that I got in 1996 which is a great guitar. I think I played it so much when I was younger it just feels right whenever I pick it up. A few of my other favourites in my collection would be an Epi ES 175, Broadway, G1275 and a really nice LP Custom Pro that I bought about a year and a half ago. The Epi vs Gibson debate really annoys me a lot of the time. If you like a guitar it doesn't matter where it was made, how much it cost or what other people think. I own a lot of Gibson guitars and a lot of Epiphones. I feel I haven't become one of those miserable people who look down on everything that isn't made in the USA or the UK fortunately. Epiphone still make a lot of really great guitars, it's just people with inflated egos and snobbery that look down on them.

As for my dream Epiphone, I'd probably go for one of the original archtops like this one from 1935 https://www.archtop.com/ac_35bway_913.html ,

or an Elitist Broadway (basically an L5CES - I already own a Gibson L5CES, but these Epi versions look sweet) https://reverb.com/au/item/4204969-epiphone-elite-elitist-broadway-l5-ces-2003-sunburst

or a modern Chinese Les Paul Custom Pro or G1275 (my G1275 is Korean) - both of these I already own so I guess I've got 2 of my dream Epiphones and a few more. My LP Custom Pro is in the limited wine red finish and really is beautiful to look at like this one and has a fantastic tone in my opinion https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENCTWRGH3 I know CB bought one of those 1955 LP Custom reissues recently and that was one that was on my list. Sadly, I missed out on that.

Kids..It's obvious that not too many people understand exactly what an Epiphone-made Epiphone is and what a Gibson-made Epiphone is.

My dream Epiphone:

Made by Epiphone. It's called an Epiphone Deluxe FT-210. Should you see one wandering around...give me a call.

Kids..It's obvious that not too many people understand exactly what an Epiphone-made Epiphone is and what a Gibson-made Epiphone is.

My dream Epiphone:

Made by Epiphone. It's called an Epiphone Deluxe FT-210. Should you see one wandering around...give me a call.

Gralst - Your comment is a bit condescending. I appreciate your knowledge of Epiphones, but actually there are many members of this board that have a significant understanding of Epiphone's history and assorted models. In some of your recent posts, I have found small mistakes in information you have provided, and have tried to note that.

I try to be very accurate in any information I post, and always enjoy learning more. Please do not feel offended if I point out any questionable info in various threads, and I do welcome any information you may provide, as I think we all tend to have familiarity with certain eras, model lines, etc.

I don't know. Maybe I'm being a bit too touchy & should welcome being called a kid at age 66!

Gralst - Your comment is a bit condescending. I appreciate your knowledge of Epiphones, but actually there are many members of this board that have a significant understanding of Epiphone's history and assorted models. In some of your recent posts, I have found small mistakes in information you have provided, and have tried to note that.

I try to be very accurate in any information I post, and always enjoy learning more. Please do not feel offended if I point out any questionable info in various threads, and I do welcome any information you may provide, as I think we all tend to have familiarity with certain eras, model lines, etc.

I don't know. Maybe I'm being a bit too touchy & should welcome being called a kid at age 66!

First off...it's not always about you Bobouz...and after reading the postings earlier in the thread I thought "kids" was apropos. I think the reason you're hypersensitive and seeking out my "mistakes" is because you're afraid your status and position here is threatened or something...Fear not... I'm quite secure with my personal station and have no desire to steal any of your glory as resident Epiphone expert. I don't know anything about you but I don't want you to feel butt hurt so I promise I won't refer to you as a "kid". I'm also pretty secure in my knowledge so please, feel free to correct me...but please, at least be correct yourself first. Oh, and I own a 000-18 and an OM-28V...they have 15" body widths...which is considerably different from a J-185 which I've also owned (albeit a 12 string version)which has a 16" lower bout. Now. Relax and don't be so insecure and you may even learn something. Have a really great one.

My current dream guitar, the Epiphone 1962 Wilshire Reissue In White....................

N_1523b.jpg

N_1523c.jpg

N_1523f.jpg

N_1523g.jpg

[scared] In the beginning Epiphone introduced a lot of classic Hollow and Semi-Hollow Body designs. Also several unique Solid Body guitars that were easily recognized apart from Gibson. One thing most of them had was the large Epiphone "E" on them that usually denotes an original Epiphone design..

Just for the sake of accuracy please understand that the Epiphone Wilshire was a Gibson-designed guitar first introduced in 1959. Epiphone never made a solid body electric (Lap steels not withstanding) or semi-hollow body electric until after Gibson bought Epiphone (May 10, 1957). My first grown up guitar was a Crestwood Custom and I've always liked them but they were of Gibson origin. The large "E is called an epsilon (the fifth letter in the Greek alphabet). To my knowledge it was never used on a pre-Gibson guitar.

First off...it's not always about you Bobouz...and after reading the postings earlier in the thread I thought "kids" was apropos. I think the reason you're hypersensitive and seeking out my "mistakes" is because you're afraid your status and position here is threatened or something...Fear not... I'm quite secure with my personal station and have no desire to steal any of your glory as resident Epiphone expert. I don't know anything about you but I don't want you to feel butt hurt so I promise I won't refer to you as a "kid". I'm also pretty secure in my knowledge so please, feel free to correct me...but please, at least be correct yourself first. Oh, and I own a 000-18 and an OM-28V...they have 15" body widths...which is considerably different from a J-185 which I also own (albeit a 12 string version)which has a 16" lower bout. Now. Relax and don't be so insecure and you may even learn something. Have a really great one.

Gralst - Unfortunately, that's similar to what I was thinking about you. Here comes another guy who seems to feel like he's the resident expert on Epiphones, but who unfortunately is putting out some incorrect information. Believe me, I couldn't care less about being an expert on Epiphones. What I do care about and enjoy, is sharing information that is helpful to people and doesn't send them down the wrong road, and gathering more useful information myself.

In your brief return, you've already put out some inaccurate information. You also apparently don't read responses very carefully, or you would see that in the Texan thread, I never made a comparison to Martin's 15" 000 body, but to their 16" 0000 body.

Yes, I'm sure you've got some great info to share, and I welcome it. Hopefully you will appreciate that there are many folks around here that might provide you with some useful information as well.

Now in an effort to recalibrate..... Welcome back.

Lots of different companies built Epiphones with Gibson's permission.. This thread I thought was about your favorite Epiphone.. If it has an Epiphone logo on the headstock its an Epiphone.. :)

FYI... One of the first uses of the Big Epiphone "E" or "epsilon" (ϵ ∈ Ɛ) was on the Pickguard of the 1950 Epiphone "Emperor Regent" below..

50emperorregentok.jpg-for-web-xlarge.jpg?etag=%226067-4fb6b80b%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=376%2B800&extract=0%2B0%2B369%2B799&quality=85

More FYI... read for yourself at http://www.epiphone.com/History.aspx [thumbup]

EPIPHONE AND GIBSON

14_Les&Mary.jpg20_UpBassAd.jpg

In the early '50s, Epiphone's former champion and favorite late night tinkerer Les Paul became a household name with a television show, a radio program, and chart-topping hits, all played with his name-brand Gibson Les Paul. Les had been perfecting his solid body guitar design in the Epiphone factory and when Fender emerged with their Telecaster, Gibson President Ted McCarty made Les Gibson's first solid body electric guitar endorser. As Epiphone's fortunes continued to decline, Les suggest McCarty reach out to Epiphone. McCarty took the advice and reached out to Orphie, expressing Gibson's interest in Epiphone's critically acclaimed upright bass division which Gibson had not picked up again after World War II. When Orphie replied in 1957, McCarty was offered the entire Epiphone company, including the remaining inventory of the Philadelphia factory, for $20,000. McCarty accepted on behalf of Gibson. The Stathopoulo family was out of the instrument business.

Though McCarty's original intention was to bring the Epiphone bass models into the Gibson catalogue, by 1957, he changed his mind. Instead, as McCarty wrote in a memo that year, the Epiphone brand would be revived with a new line of instruments.

McCarty's marketing plan was to offer Gibson-made Epiphones to dealers who were keen to win a Gibson contract, but had not yet proven themselves as profitable dealers. (The right to sell Gibson models was hotly contested between dealerships at this time). It was the perfect solution. Dealers would get a Gibson-quality product without treading on the toes of dealers who already sold the Gibson line. The entire Epiphone operation was relocated to Kalamazoo, Michigan. Epiphone was back in business.

Lots of different companies built Epiphones with Gibson's permission.. This thread I thought was about your favorite Epiphone.. If it has an Epiphone logo on the headstock its an Epiphone.. :)

Thats what i think.

Archived