Gibson Brands Forums

Just totally showing off

blindboygrunt

I saw Tommy back in November. My second time. And the most wondrous thing I take away from the shows is not his technical prowess - its the joy that emanates from the man.

Well if you could play like that you’d be pretty feckin joyful

And if you did get a little depressed have a look at the bank account and joy comes flooding back

You’re not short of a bob or two with all your skullduggery up there in New York though

I can take or leave him , he’s a little like watching those soccer kids who can kee the ball up all day and catch it behind their head etc. Or the guy with the yo yo

I’m not sure what I think of him to be honest and I’ve never been one for instrumentals .... I like a song

But I do swoon at his skills no doubt

I've seen him 3 times in Atlanta. I've always said even if your not into that style of music you will still walk away from a Tommy show feeling like you've been entertained. The guy has amazing energy and presence on stage.

I've seen him 3 times in Atlanta. I've always said even if your not into that style of music you will still walk away from a Tommy show feeling like you've been entertained. The guy has amazing energy and presence on stage.

Exactly! His style is not something that really appeals to me, but his playing skill and joy at what he does are absolutely infectious.

no Gibson content

Just thought I’d annoy you all

They’ll need to open the trading post when you all watch this

Doc Watson, Merle Travis, Glen Campbell, Jerry Reed, Brad Paisley.....IMHO Tommy Emmanuel is possibly the GOAT!

Some long time ago, when "Oh, Brother..." came out,a few of us went to the touring production and got to see and hear Jerry Douglas as well as a long roster of other bluegrass players. After one of his blazing solos a friend and I turned to each other, and, in unison said- "F--- off!" He plays stuff faster than I can hear. And it's beautiful.He's the real deal.

Great!

But as much as I love Jerry D., I just love TE solo. He has been doing lots of playing with other people lately - maybe he is sick of playing solo? He has been travelling and playing alone for a long, long while.

Now guitar talk! I want a TE Personal, as his guitars are called! They are made in the Maton Custom Shop, who probably fear TE's Monday morning calls! (I could say: "I want, I want , I want, I want", as I stamp my feet in a tantrum, but no good would come of it!

https://maton.com.au/product/t.e-personal

You can also get a 'commercial' TE model, which I have played and also want [biggrin] It would be interesting to compare my Maton SRS808, (Australian Blackwood with Cedar) to the Maton EBG808TE (Queensland Maple with Sitka - Queensland Maple is absolutely not one thing like US Maple - Maton used it as a Mahogany sub for years).

https://maton.com.au/product/ebg808te

Unfortunately, the Custom Shop TE models are rare as hen's teeth and the shops always say 'Coming Soon' and they don't....previously earmarked, my guess. You can order one, but I like playing a guitar first!

And a 2013 video about his guitar and gear:

BluesKing777.

Brilliant technique .... but honestly, after 2.30 i was getting bored. I mean, how much shredding can one take ?

Is wearing a scarf the secret ?

With ya there Aussie

Incredible skill but I never bought any yngwie malmsteen albums either

I’ve tried the scarf thing , makes no difference

Good to see ya here

Ive tried the scarf thing , makes no difference

I must admit I've NEVER worn a scarf.

In my life.

You know, I've seen several videos of him (Tommy) and once on a t.v. show, and I find it rather boring myself after a bit. I must say, if he passed through my area I doubt I would make the effort to go see him live. And I paid dearly to see Bob Dylan.

Weird.

Archived