Gibson Brands Forums

advanced jumbo love?

glider

A 2003 AJRI has been my main flattop since I bought it new. It sounded great new, still sounds great. Roars when you want, sings sweetly if you throttle back. I’ve had about three dozen flattops, including many vintage Gibsons, and the AJRI is probably my favorite all around axe.

Theyre OK. I find them much better finger pickers than strummers, still a lot less muddy for rosewood than a D-28 for example. The tone is rustic, fundamental, not quite as developed as in a J-45 or Hummingbird.

Rustic is a good way to describe them. I used to describe my RW AJ as “agricultural”. In a good way, a bit like the shoutiness of P90s as opposed to the smoothness of humbuckers.

I’d say the most agricultural guitar out there at the top end is the OJ Reissue. Man alive, that thing is DRY.

hey i just pulled the trigger on a 2008 advanced jumbo- waiting for it to arrive. ... anyone with experience with AJ's care to comment?

I have a 2006 AJ, regular issue with Sitka top. I like it a lot - like the others said, it has a strong, dark sound. I've played a couple new ones with Adi tops but was not happy with them - perhaps they need to get played in? Maybe I just prefer Sitka? I'd like to play an Adi topped AJ that's about 15-20 years old, perhaps I could be convinced trade mine in - until then I'm happy to play mine, I have no doubt you will enjoy yours.

I've been debating getting a Wildwood Vintage AJ, has anyone played one of those. They are pretty expensive but look like a great instrument.

I don’t know. I played two original AJs extensively before finally deciding to get a reissue. I think it sounds pretty close to what a new AJ might have sounded like, but in any case it was a tone that I wanted.

I’ve played a number of AJRIs, and all were good but some are better than others. I’m not sure I’d shell out big $$ for a version that might have cool woods but may not sound a cent better than a plain old AJRI.

I also had the chance to play two original AJ's. I think both were from 1936, both not for sale. Because of that experience I ordered my first AJ Reissue from Wildwood. Add top/ EIR back and sides. It was a great guitar, till I played that 2013 1935 AJ ltd. edition of 35. It compares favorably to the vintage ones, it is one of my all time favorite acoustic.

I found my 2006 AJ used at a local shop. At the price I paid, it is by far the best value of any guitar I own. It is the only used guitar I have, but at almost half the price of a new one, it was like I couldn't afford not to buy it. At least that's how I justified it to myself. Actually, I jumped at the chance to buy it. It's the only one I have ever run acrossed for sale, new or used. When I got it, I could not have afforded a new one, but the price was right on the used one.

I guess I have talked about our 1936 AJ in the past. We have collected guitars for many years and we are lucky enough to own a number that people proclaim as the best guitar they have ever touched. People's style and skill level effects what they think is the best ever. The thing I can say about the AJ is it gets more #1 votes than anything we have. Flat pickers love it, as do blues and ragtime players. Most remarkable, old line bluegrass rhythm players actually choose it ahead of prewar herringbones -- there is a miracle. I love it too of course -- very powerful and flexible guitar.

http://vimeo.com/130705665

https://vimeo.com/54419930

Best,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii

I have a 2012 AJ that's my #1 (and currently only acoustic, as I recently sold my Waterloo WL-14 and J45 Trie Vintage).

AJ is kind of the jack of all trades and in an interesting combo with the long scale neck and rosewood back and sides. Mine has been through the ringer a bit with a previous owner as it's reported to been on the road a bit, has a few battle scars and a repaired broken headstock, but I love it. Has a lot of the warmth of a traditional rosewood back and sides guitar but without the muddiness and still retains a crisp, clear high end. Shines as a fingerpicker and is just as good strummed. More projection and louder voice than a J45 but even though it has warmth, it does sacrifice a little compared to the J45TV I had. Mine has a very slim/low profile neck that I usually don't go for, but this one feels great for whatever reason. It can be a pretty loud guitar, but I just dial it back while playing and it can sound sweet and delicate as well. If I want a little warmer sound I use a 1mm nylon pick. Really great all-arounder.

One thing worth mentioning though...the stock Grover open tuners absolutely suck! They get worse and worse over time, and have had these same tuners crap out and just not work very well on other guitars, and have been meaning to pull the trigger onside wavily replacements.

wKqc24P.jpg

1hGa6op.jpg

asOjbOT.jpg

zZzuxqD.jpg

Edited by sbpark

• 1 year later...

I've been playing AJ's since I bought my first new in 2002, which I still have. Funny, but I've never had a problem with the tuners at all. Tunes right up and stays put. Do You stretch Your strings when You install a new set? I guess they could put out bad batches.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:32 PM, tpbiii said:

I guess I have talked about our 1936 AJ in the past. We have collected guitars for many years and we are lucky enough to own a number that people proclaim as the best guitar they have ever touched. People's style and skill level effects what they think is the best ever. The thing I can say about the AJ is it gets more #1 votes than anything we have. Flat pickers love it, as do blues and ragtime players. Most remarkable, old line bluegrass rhythm players actually choose it ahead of prewar herringbones -- there is a miracle. I love it too of course -- very powerful and flexible guitar.

https://vimeo.com/54419930

Best,

-Tom

That is a superb-sounding guitar. Of course, David Dugas brings out the best in any guitar.

On 9/8/2019 at 5:40 PM, j45nick said:

That is a superb-sounding guitar. Of course, David Dugas brings out the best in any guitar.

So that's David Dugas! I have been reading his posts and posts about him since way back in the flatpick-l listserv days. Thanks for pointing that out, Nick.