Gibson Brands Forums

relic jobs

uncle fester

Hey Folks,

What do you think on relic jobs? This is a J45 on Reverb that looks enticing. It was done made to look old, and looks like it was done well.

My question - is this just faking the real thing? Would there be any long term negative effects to a relic job... say 40 yrs in (this one is about 20 yrs old already)

Thanks for any input... br.

I think that guitar is interesting because of the builder - and not the relic job. Want finish checking? Have your guitar out in the car overnight at 20 degrees, bring it in in the morning, open the case and put it on the stand... :)

By the way on this forum we may have discussed guitars by Pre-War Guitar Company. They are getting a crazy following, and are sold by Elderly, Carter, Lowe, and Gryphon. You can pick the distress level (1 is minimal). I think the guitars look great, but I still would prefer a nice shiny new, or honest used. Anyways supposedly their guitars sound fantastic. The ones in the videos I have seen sure do. I'd love their J45 model, but it's near $5k. Sounds exactly like a J45 True Vintage to me...

http://lowevintage.c...roducts/?id=351

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVRuMX3P6pk

Here is a sad case for fans of old guitars with mojo.

4A7Tu1V.jpg

Unfortunately no ware shows. People mistake it for new, but it is actually a 1942 J-45 -- very early. We try to bare up.

Some people just don't have any luck.msp_scared.gif

PS here is our 44 -- a bit more mojo.

8Ev7dgI.jpg

So we can be cool when we need to.

Best,

-Tom

The Pre War Guitar Co's guitars are going like hotcakes! They are suppose to sound really good and I think most of the Martin Authentic model aficianados have jumped ship!

Give me the J45 model level 3 distress! $5K? Never going to happen without playing one and then maybe not... :mellow:

https://www.pre-warguitars.com/distress-levels

Now to copy Tom's J45 with the various faultlines would be no easy task. [mellow]

I just had an idea go through my head - I could go local and get 5 or 6 used Matons in good nick and relic them!!!!!! I have a vision of my jobless mate, then the Better Half and his Other Half...all out in the shed distressing Matons! [scared] Yes!

Here's a model to imitate, haha AHA! :unsure: :

BluesKing777.

Here is a sad case for fans of old guitars with mojo.

4A7Tu1V.jpg

Unfortunately no ware shows. People mistake it for new, but it is actually a 1942 J-45 -- very early. We try to bare up.

Best,

-Tom

Tom,

That's a one in a million guitar!

Tom,

That's a one in a million guitar!

Yea, pretty much. And it is the best sounding banner we have too except for the 910, which is a different beast, The paradox is that it is the other J-45 -- which sounds almost as good -- that gets played.

Best,

-Tom

The Pre War Guitar Co's guitars are going like hotcakes! They are suppose to sound really good and I think most of the Martin Authentic model aficianados have jumped ship!

Give me the J45 model level 3 distress! $5K? Never going to happen without playing one and then maybe not... :mellow:

https://www.pre-warguitars.com/distress-levels

Now to copy Tom's J45 with the various faultlines would be no easy task. [mellow]

I just had an idea go through my head - I could go local and get 5 or 6 used Matons in good nick and relic them!!!!!! I have a vision of my jobless mate, then the Better Half and his Other Half...all out in the shed distressing Matons! [scared] Yes!

Here's a model to imitate, haha AHA! :unsure: :

BluesKing777.

BK, I thinks you delight in stirring the pot every now and then. I'm OK with that, sounds like my dad.

I think that guitar is interesting because of the builder - and not the relic job. Want finish checking? Have your guitar out in the car overnight at 20 degrees, bring it in in the morning, open the case and put it on the stand... :)

By the way on this forum we may have discussed guitars by Pre-War Guitar Company. They are getting a crazy following, and are sold by Elderly, Carter, Lowe, and Gryphon. You can pick the distress level (1 is minimal). I think the guitars look great, but I still would prefer a nice shiny new, or honest used. Anyways supposedly their guitars sound fantastic. The ones in the videos I have seen sure do. I'd love their J45 model, but it's near $5k. Sounds exactly like a J45 True Vintage to me...

http://lowevintage.c...roducts/?id=351

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVRuMX3P6pk

Sal, I totally get what you are saying about the distressing. If I were dropping 5K I could probably live with Level 1.

When I got to open for Mipso, I heard the one Jacob Sharp played and was very impressed!

I was wondering if the spec dimensions were more like the 30's Original Jumbo with the minimal taper at the upper bout. I did write them at Pre-War with that question. Not that I can buy it anyway. 😀

Update: Just heard back from them and got this;

"Our model J is based on a 1939 J-35, so the body taper is 3 7/8" at the neck to 4 7/8" to the tail. We've had one other guy ask about an OJ (the early 30's basically non-tapered body), but as of yet, it's not something we're doing. They're a little weird and boxy sounding, and it would require a custom case (no fun).

Hope this helps. Holler if you have any more questions!

Ben Maschal

Owner/Head Luthier"

Relicing acoustics is a relatively new thing when compared to electrics. To me relic is just a finish option. You either like it or not. It always did seem strange to me though as not a day goes by that I do not look at my old guitars and wish they did not look like they did when they first rolled out of the factory.

Where it can get tricky is when you actually own an old guitar that has either lost its finish or suffered from an amateur attempt at a re-finish. I ran into that years back with my Banner Gibson. The guy who did the work did not want to slap on a brand spanking new finish but because it would look out of place with the original headstock, tuners and such. Rather than relic the guitar, he went the route of shooting a finish which would naturally age very quickly. He mixed his own nitro and shot the stuff on in a very thin layer. He told me to give it one year. Within I would say nine months the guitar looked like it was covered with spider webs. Tons of crazing and checking.

Relicing acoustics is a relatively new thing when compared to electrics. To me relic is just a finish option. You either like it or not. It always did seem strange to me though as not a day goes by that I do not look at my old guitars and wish they did not look like they did when they first rolled out of the factory.

Where it can get tricky is when you actually own an old guitar that has either lost its finish or suffered from an amateur attempt at a re-finish. I ran into that years back with my Banner Gibson. The guy who did the work did not want to slap on a brand spanking new finish but because it would look out of place with the original headstock, tuners and such. Rather than relic the guitar, he went the route of shooting a finish which would naturally age very quickly. He mixed his own nitro and shot the stuff on in a very thin layer. He told me to give it one year. Within I would say nine months the guitar looked like it was covered with spider webs. Tons of crazing and checking.

I would love to know what was done to make the finish go like that. Of course,

photo = 1000 words

el lo el

Is molly Tuttle married ?

🤔

So on Google I typed in "Is Molly Tuttle... and the first suggested search finished with "married". So bbg is not the first one to ask. 😀 There is nowhere a mention of a husband on her Wikipedia page, but nothing is absolutely confirmed. I'm with a good women, thankfully. 🤘♥️🤘

I find the sad thing about factory relic’d guitats is, people now seriously ask me if I intentionally personally relic’d my 1955 Epiphone F79 that was quite cooly beaten up when I purchased it from actual wear and tear from its prior owner gigging with it...including a cigarette burn on its inner soundhole label.

Fact is, I bought the cool looking guitar dirt cheap because of its beat up condition, which now somehow is one of its assets.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I find the sad thing about factory relic’d guitats is, people now seriously ask me if I intentionally personally relic’d my 1955 Epiphone F79

See, that's the thing. The FAKE ones actually CHEAPEN the REAL ones, because now, what used to be unique can be found in every single store on the Planet.

And as a "Video Prop", it's redundant to the point of stupid.

I hate em.

Archived