Gibson Brands Forums

Displaying Guitars

Dave F

Just moved this past week. My guitars have been in storage the past 6 months.

I have enough room to do about anything I want. I have 44 guitars but I’m thinking I’ll only keep about 24 out of their cases.

Do any of you keep that many out and if you do, what do you use?

At my old house, I only kept a dozen out, hanging on the walls. Humidity control should not be an issue.

Here’s a few I had out checking on, the 45’s

Dwight Yoakam, Kris Kristofferson, Legend and a vintage.

CED78B9E-7EA4-4CE3-9A82-1A8DD575CEC8_zpsgy4ehjmi.jpg

I only possess 5, I can't imagine looking after your number. I live in East Texas, my humidity indoors is very easy on guitars, 50%-58% during the summer, and 40%-48% most of the winter. I normally only have out the one I am playing on this week, everyone else is confined to their cage. The pictures you posted speak a bit about your choice, love the sunbursts. I am hoping to see your wall covered with your collection, it is sure to look lovely, and we may never stop drooling. Have a blessed weekend Sir.

Just moved this past week. My guitars have been in storage the past 6 months.

I have enough room to do about anything I want. I have 44 guitars but I'm thinking I'll only keep about 24 out of their cases.

Do any of you keep that many out and if you do, what do you use?

At my old house, I only kept a dozen out, hanging on the walls. Humidity control should not be an issue.

Here's a few I had out checking on, the 45's

Dwight Yoakam, Kris Kristofferson, Legend and a vintage.

CED78B9E-7EA4-4CE3-9A82-1A8DD575CEC8_zpsgy4ehjmi.jpg

We also live in a large house in a sea of string instruments. We decorate with them and we rotate them out in groups -- we try to play them all over time. The living room has multi-stands for 13 guitars and two bluegrass banjos and the downstairs family room we configure for gatherings with bulk stands for 15 guitars. These are not decorations -- the guitars are all front line instruments out for playing.

There is a vault -- steel walls, alarms, humidity controlled and shelves for about 90 instruments in cases. This is the home storage for our higher end instruments -- a subset of these is generally out in the stands in the rooms mentioned above. We also have four bass fiddles that live in corners near the guitar stands.

We also have permanent displays of playable instruments. We have a studio that has 38 hooks on the wall and a store type rack of 20 hangers. These walls are covered with mostly banjos with some ukes and such. Most of these instruments are from about 1880- 1930. The hall leading into the studio has 14 hooks with an assortment of stuff. We do play them -- we keep everything playable -- but this is mostly decoration. Then we have a few displays around the house. For example we have five old Kay archtops on the stair landing shelf, and a couple of wall groups that include some guitars, old banjos (19th century), mandolins, fiddles, and a bass fiddle.

We are retired and we love to live in a sea of tone. Variety is the spice of life.

Best,

-Tom

Tom, do you have some type of commercial or residential humidifier/de- humidifier integral to a central heeding - cooling system? Is the humidity in the entire house electronically monitored and maintained? Not interested in specifications or detail, just your overall approach. I don't have this as an issue to solve personally, just curious. Thanks.

Tom, do you have some type of commercial or residential humidifier/de- humidifier integral to a central heeding - cooling system? Is the humidity in the entire house electronically monitored and maintained? Not interested in specifications or detail, just your overall approach. I don't have this as an issue to solve personally, just curious. Thanks.

Yea, it is built into the HVAC system. We also have a free standing dehumidifier in the vault. Where we live, humidity is only very seldom a problem.

Best,

-Tom

Archived