Gibson Brands Forums

Rambling jack and a fantastic dove

blindboygrunt

Amazing performance!! Love Rambling Jack. I always think of Guy Clark’s like about “Ramblin’ Jack’s guitar with the cowboy painted pickguard on it” when I see his Dove.

It’s nice to be reminded of what a Dove looks like with all the frets in place 😂

Arlo is a legend. I had the immense pleasure of spending an evening drinking Montepulciano (and lots of it!) with his sister Nora in Sestri Levante last Summer. She’s an incredible person, funny, massively intelligent and with the same down-to-earth nobility of her dad. She has a lifetime of hilarious stories up her sleeves.

The last of the Brooklyn Cowboys. Having been born in Brooklyn I can truly appreciate that and have loved Ramblin' Jack for many decades.

One of my favorite Ramblin' Jack duets on one of Tom Russells amazing songs.

Funny - him and guys like Dave Von Ronk. Having been born in Brooklyn too - ten years of so later, there's no telling where this music could have taken us, if it hadn't been for The British Invasion.

There was a local AM radio station, back in the mid-60s on Long Island, that played Alice's Restaurant every Sunday afternoon for a couple of years. 'Heatherton's Hootenany'. The brother of Joey Heatherton.

Funny - him and guys like Dave Von Ronk. Having been born in Brooklyn too - ten years of so later, there's no telling where this music could have taken us, if it hadn't been for The British Invasion.

There was a local AM radio station, back in the mid-60s on Long Island, that played Alice's Restaurant every Sunday afternoon for a couple of years. 'Heatherton's Hootenany'. The brother of Joey Heatherton.

Used to be you could tell where a blues player was from just by his style. Music these days has become homogenized. Many years ago somebody asked David Bromberg what kind of blues he played. He answered something like middle class suburban NY Jewish kid blues.

Back in the day I was a stone cold WBAI fan. This was the NYC Pacifica station. Bob Fass was amazing. He would provide a platform for then unknown musicians to play live. They would also get guys like Dylan, Van Ronk, and Ochs to do live sets particularly during fund raising as they accepted no sponsorship.

Used to be you could tell where a blues player was from just by his style. Music these days has become homogenized. Many years ago somebody asked David Bromberg what kind of blues he played. He answered something like middle class suburban NY Jewish kid blues.

Back in the day I was a stone cold WBAI fan. This was the NYC Pacifica station. Bob Fass was amazing. He would provide a platform for then unknown musicians to play live. They would also get guys like Dylan, Van Ronk, and Ochs to do live sets particularly during fund raising as they accepted no sponsorship.

Yep. Living in the middle of a movement and I wasted most of my time thinking about girls.

I actually knew Arlo although certainly not well. Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s I worked for Lee Hays who had been with the Weavers. He had been a very close friend of Woody's. I was there to help Lee when he needed it but primarily just to keep him company. Arlo stopped by quite a bit. Around this time Arlo was also showing up at the Strawberry Festival. Music and strawberry shortcake. Nothing too elaborate in the early days but it is still going on and is a much bigger deal then it once was.

Archived