Gibson Brands Forums

Four months in, still happy

generaldreedle

After a confusing search to replace my j45 custom because it was too much like my D28, I was surprised to find then buy a southern jumbo after mainly looking at a hummingbird and J200. Four months in and I'm so grateful, it's so versatile I don't think there's anything it can't do- I've played blues, slide, bluegrass, 70s rolling Stones songs (all badly), and it can do it all. Also after experimentation the strings it came with are the best, although I may try Martin retros. Just wonder why it is not as well known as the Gibson iconic models?

Great report..I owned one too and I miss mine.

Savor it and keep it and don’t give in to any GAS fits! Ask me how I know....

I'll try-- my GAS that led to this purchase was the realization that I had two great guitars and they sounded too similar and I wanted the thumpiness of a Gibson Mahogany, I don't see giving that up but I am old enough to not make promises, I may lose my mind!!

I think the SJ is less well know simply because it competes with the J-45, which is essentially the same guitar but can be had for less money. To me, the SJ is the perfect cosmetic guitar design, and the most beautiful guitar in the world. I happily paid the upcharge to get this look when I got my SJ six years ago.

Lars

Archived