Gibson Brands Forums

FINISH CRAZING ON A '63 GIBSON ES-175DN

ajay

I have a chance to get a smokin' deal on a 1963 ES-175DN (D=2 pickups & N=Blonde). They only made 75 Blonde ES-175's in '63, so it's kind of rare as far as Kalamazoo Gibsons go. It has some pretty extensive long line crazing on the top, and hardly any on the back. It's a beauty, and everything else about the guitar is fine. The cracks are about an inch apart, but the guitar looks awesome from five feet away. Also, since the pickups are Nickel, there is a chance that those are both vintage PAF Pups. It is a laminated top, so there are obviously no cracks in the wood, at least all the way through. Would You buy it, or pass and look for a nicer one?

There are more cracks towards the edge of the case that opens first, so it could have happened in one bad move on a Winter's day. I don't even have to ship it. It's only 40 miles away and the owner is an older gentleman. He is a Jazz guitarist and he bought it brand new 58 years ago. He didn't save the tags.

There are more cracks towards the edge of the case that opens first, so it could have happened in one bad move on a Winter's day. I don't even have to ship it. It's only 40 miles away and the owner is an older gentleman. He is a Jazz guitarist and he bought it brand new 58 years ago. He didn't save the tags.

The crazing wouldn't bother me one bit, if other things on the guitar look good. By 1963, those may be early patent number pups rather than PAF's, but the fact that they are nickel is encouraging. You know it's easy enough to check by pulling one out and flipping it over.

Those are cool guitars. 1963 neck is probably pretty skinny, so make sure you're comfortable with it if you intend to keep it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I know that on a '63, the pups are more than likely Patent Number.

alias, do you mean grab it and run? Cause that's what I'm thinking.

And I like the neck on my PEACE, AND THAT's supposed to be a 60's neck. It's pretty slim. I also like the fatter neck on my J35 too, so I'm not picky there.

No, I wasn't pullin Your legs. I'm buying it tomorrow. When I tell You the deal You'll wonder why I even thought about it. Of course I don't want to jinx it by revealing the deal before I close it. Thank You gentlemen.

ALSO, I REALLY DIDN't know where to post this, but it's as much acoustic as it is electric.

I guess it depends on how much you have to spend, how much is being asked for it,l how strongly you vision yourself playing it and most of all, how it plays.

I have a ES-175D, Year 1978 Kalamazoo production that I bought new in 1979. This guitar was my principal "work horse" for nearly 30 years where I played 4 to 5 hour shows mostly six times a week playing many genres of music and I couldn't have asked for a better and surprisingly more versatile instrument. My 175 turns 40 this year and like a good wine, its sound just keeps on getting richer.

Would I buy it? well I think that answer will be clear once you play it, you'll either be overwhelmed or you won't.

Good luck with it

Regards

I have a chance to get a smokin' deal on a 1963 ES-175DN (D=2 pickups & N=Blonde). They only made 75 Blonde ES-175's in '63, so it's kind of rare as far as Kalamazoo Gibsons go. It has some pretty extensive long line crazing on the top, and hardly any on the back. It's a beauty, and everything else about the guitar is fine. The cracks are about an inch apart, but the guitar looks awesome from five feet away. Also, since the pickups are Nickel, there is a chance that those are both vintage PAF Pups. It is a laminated top, so there are obviously no cracks in the wood, at least all the way through. Would You buy it, or pass and look for a nicer one?

I locked in the deal. I get it tomorrow, so it's mine now. The post that I made in Vintage last night was asking what they would consider to be a price that a Gibson Forum vintage player would honestly pay. I see asking prices, but now that I took the deal, I'm trying to see what a bottom number would be.If I list it, I want to sell it. I may want to keep it. I told them that it had early Patent Number pups, although I'm not positive about that yet. There is a slim chance that it has PAF's. I don't want to list it for $3600 on REVERB JUST TO HAVE A POST TO CHECK ON. If I do I want to sell it, and I need a lowball number to decide what to list it for. This place is not a place where You will have anyone wanting to pay retail. I want to know what high wholesale would be I guess. I hope that explains the reason for my post in Vintage. I wanted a Gibson Forum buy price, not a buyer.I don't want to reveal the deal until it's in my greedy mitts, but anyone will agree that it's a once in a lifetime deal on vintage equipment, and I would be insane to not buy it. I may just sell all of my modern stuff and keep what I'm buying since I'm 60 years old. The items that I'm buying would be very easy for my wife to sell, and not so much the modern stuff unless you give it away. Thanks guys.

Archived