Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 Vintage at Guitar Center

MorrisrownSal

I had time to kill today, but not enough time to drive the hour-each-way to my favorite NJ guitar shop, so I stopped by a Guitar Center 15 minutes from my home - the one in Springfield NJ on Rt22.

The store is sad. So many cheap horrible acoustics. And in the "nice" acoustic room, there hung a few Martins Taylors, and Gibsons. 4 out of 10- guitars were cracked, and 1/2 of those were marked "scratch and dent." Tops were cracked, strings were old, and lack of humidity had taken its toll on too many guitars. Even the nice ones locked up on the hangers.

I am not posting this today to comment on how bad GC is. Rather, I wanted to point out the one jewel. One. A Gibson J45 Vintage from 2016. This is the model Buc has, and they typically list for $4k and sell for about $3400-ish, give or take. It had old strings, and I asked them to take it down for me to play. No cracks. Action seemed fine - perhaps a hair high for me - but nevertheless the guitar was in solid shape. It needs new strings and a polishing, but it sounded great. Very dry. It is priced to sell at $2299 before haggling. The regular J45 standard is next to it for $2,799.

The price is right. I didnt buy it - I dont have a need. Someone should. The guts are there. You could call the shop and have them ship it to your local GC to try out.

EpHh9Xkl.jpg

Anyway I figure if one here were so inclined to rescue this puppy so that it doesn't incur the fate of its brethren...

160 N 22nd St, Springfield Township, NJ 07081

Phone: (973) 921-0677

That is a very good deal on beautiful guitar. I bought my 1942 Banner J-45 from Guitar Center for $5000 after finding it online some years ago. That particular dealer in Florida really didn't know what they had in stock. $5000 is of course a heck of a lot of money, but not for an all original first year J-45, only needing minor repairs. So I guess GC could be the place to find a gold nugget if one is lucky.

Lars

Sal - Thanks much for posting this... my timeline doesn't look to cooperate for this one (expect this jewel will be gone when i get my winfall) - but greatly appreciate the lead from someone like yourself (& those on the forum). I hope I'm able to jump sooner than later - please keep them coming!

heck... i might do it. If they are filing for bankruptcy, I expect Bozeman to stop with GC and Music Zoo etc, and instead sell to high end real dealers ...and increase pricing.

You fuggers better beat me to it tomorrow :)

heck... i might do it. If they are filing for bankruptcy, I expect Bozeman to stop with GC and Music Zoo etc, and instead sell to high end real dealers ...and increase pricing.

You fuggers better beat me to it tomorrow :)

[/quote

Please hurry and buy this thing Sal. I'm having a hard time resisting and I really don't need another one either.

The price is right. I didnt buy it - I dont have a need. Someone should.

Yep, iconic guitar right there. Nice dark burst, with a dark rosewood fretboard. I need one, too. I don't have one. For now I just gotta put it on my list for when I hit the powerball.... smile.gif

Archived