Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ45ME bridge pins?

Seagull

I want to change out the plastic bridge pins on my new Masterbilt AJ45ME with bone.

I ordered a set, but they don't fit right. I think they may be "presentation" style and I might need "traditional" style?

Anyone know for sure?

It comes with bone nut and saddle, I don't know why they didn't go ahead with the pins...

BTW really love this guitar.

I want to change out the plastic bridge pins on my new Masterbilt AJ45ME with bone.

I ordered a set, but they don't fit right. I think they may be "presentation" style and I might need "traditional" style?

Anyone know for sure?

It comes with bone nut and saddle, I don't know why they didn't go ahead with the pins...

BTW really love this guitar.

Bob Colosi at Custom Guitar saddles http://www.guitarsaddles.com/ had everything you need. I just ordered something from him and I got it very quickly. He has an excellent reputation as well.

What about the bone pins don't fit right? Too loose or too tight?

If they're too tight, sand them down. Most natural material products like saddles, nuts, and bridge pins, come oversized so they can be sanded down to fit perfectly.

They use plastic pins as bridge pins make very little, if any, difference in the tone of a guitar.

From Gibson customer service:

Thanks for the email. We do not have sizing information for other manufacturer’s bridge pins. However, current Epiphone bridge pins are .203” at the top of the shaft(just below the skirt), and .153” at the tip. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!

• 5 weeks later...

BTW: This guitar is the best guitar I have yet to own.

If you are on the fence, please try one.

It just keep sounding better and better.

I didn't see much change with the bridge pin change, but didn't expect to either.

I like the neck better than it's true Gibson namesake.

I gig a little and play in Church every week, and this is the only guitar I use at the moment.

• 1 month later...

BTW: This guitar is the best guitar I have yet to own.

If you are on the fence, please try one.

It just keep sounding better and better.

I didn't see much change with the bridge pin change, but didn't expect to either.

I like the neck better than it's true Gibson namesake.

I gig a little and play in Church every week, and this is the only guitar I use at the moment.

I was hoping to win one but in all honesty, I think I am going to have to buy one if I want one, and I do want one.

• 2 weeks later...

As noted, you need to match up the taper of the shaft and the diameter of the pin at the top just beneath the collar. I prefer my pins to not sit flush at the collar but rather a bit higher, maybe 1/4" above the bridge. This something Martin did for years.

As long as the pin is a snug fit and you seat the ball end of the string properly under the bridge plate (it is surprising how many people do not think about this) my opinion is it does not really matter what the pins are made of other than aesthetics.

• 1 month later...

Still loving this guitar.

I will say it is breaking in nicely and sounding better every week.

I liked it when I got it, but the tone has greatly improved with just the few months I have had it.

I play weekly at Church and have at least one hour long gig every month. This is the only guitar I am using at the moment.

The pick-up system is pretty impressive, but most of my playing is straight acoustic.

Archived