Gibson Brands Forums

Mic stands

blindboygrunt

Hey you boys

My mic stands (cheapo ones) are starting to act like they might falls apart soon

I nearly always play sitting down so have spotted a couple of shorter booms , sometimes used for drums apparently , but any you guys who do it sitting down recommend anything in particular?

Some folks use a gooseneck with a heavy base on the mic stand I’ve seen and while that is probably the most sensible thing while you’re not playing I’m not sure I like the unportability of the circular stand and the gooseneck

And of course I can pay over a hundred pounds for a stand or 14.99

Want to pay 14.99 but am willing to spend IF I’m getting more for my pounds

Don’t want to hear that blue chip are making microphone stands 😂

hey grunt, I tend to like to stick with the old style, stands, with a boom and the round center weight.

The tripod (the 15 dollar variety) tip very easily. This is the kind of stand I was using the night an SM58 can crashing down on the top of my Taylor GS Series acoustic and mascaraed it. It has since been fixed and those stands have been placed out of sight. I wont use em, they are just trouble looking to happen...

the mic stand I'm using 99% of the time, is about as old as dirt. But it sill works great. and if you need it, it can definitely get you an advantage if a bar fight turns your way!! (never happened, but ya never know!)

Koenig And Meyer (K&M) are supposed to be the bees knees of stands.

My old piano player died of cancer years ago and left me his recording studio but no room to put it all in. I eventually gave most of it away to a friend's son who was going to record his big world hit but took it all to the pawn shop!

BUT, he always raved about K&M stuff...and I kept 2 of his K&M 3 footed mic stands with booms and a whole lot of microphones and mic leads! They look like a ....der.....mic stand.... [mellow]

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/categorie?cat=99&x1ff22=983aeefd5ed4b02d790926caae588bd2

BluesKing777.

Koenig And Meyer (K&M) are supposed to be the bees knees of stands.

My old piano player died of cancer years ago and left me his recording studio but no room to put it all in. I eventually gave most of it away to a friend's son who was going to record his big world hit but took it all to the pawn shop!

BUT, he always raved about K&M stuff...and I kept 2 of his K&M 3 footed mic stands with booms and a whole lot of microphones and mic leads! They look like a ....der.....mic stand.... [mellow]

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/categorie?cat=99&x1ff22=983aeefd5ed4b02d790926caae588bd2

BluesKing777.

Cheers BK. I’d came across that brand. I’ll keep your recommendations in mind

Any help with the smaller sized ones ? You sit on yer arse to play same as me .... just trying to cut down on the overall size of a mic stand for the wee corner of a pub I’m usually in ...

Cheers BK. I’d came across that brand. I’ll keep your recommendations in mind

Any help with the smaller sized ones ? You sit on yer arse to play same as me .... just trying to cut down on the overall size of a mic stand for the wee corner of a pub I’m usually in ...

Tired of the inebriated tripping over your mic stand?

What about a fat round base K&M with a main mic boom and an attachment for the guitar mic?

BluesKing777.

Tired of the inebriated tripping over your mic stand?

What about a fat round base K&M with a main mic boom and an attachment for the guitar mic?

BluesKing777.

Yeah , you could lose a tooth easy ....

It’s not so much the feet of the stand , well it could be ... but

Round base is an option. Would be best for the gig , not AS good for to and from the car .

Don’t need a guitar mic , have a plonky pickup , just a mic For my head is required

With a full size mic stand either the feet of it are out there in punter land or the feet brough closer means there’s a large portion of the boom sticking out beyond the upright pole ...

I could get a hack saw out I suppose ....

Was just hoping for someone out there to have solved my problem and tell me

Yeah , you could lose a tooth easy ....

It’s not so much the feet of the stand , well it could be ... but

Round base is an option. Would be best for the gig , not AS good for to and from the car .

Don’t need a guitar mic , have a plonky pickup , just a mic For my head is required

With a full size mic stand either the feet of it are out there in punter land or the feet brough closer means there’s a large portion of the boom sticking out beyond the upright pole ...

I could get a hack saw out I suppose ....

Was just hoping for someone out there to have solved my problem and tell me

What about having the boom arm like Michael McDonald when he is playing keys and singing?

Look up his pics live - mic near his mouth but the boom goes across him to a stand on the side.

BluesKing777.

I personally use Hercules mic stands-in my experience they’re massively durable and I love the quick release height adjustment and other cunning little developments they employ on them.

In terms of traditional stands though, K&M are as good as it gets-I used a K&M for many years and still use their harp braces, great gear!

I still have an old Atlas, and another round base.

I put a 3 pound (yes POUND.....) weight on the bottom of them because I use booms, and they never tip over.

I don't like the stands with legs because they take up so much floor space, and back in the day I would have a dozen drinks or so and things would get trippy.

I don't drink anymore, but am just as top heavy, unbalanced and trippy as ever I suppose....

See that. Might work some places , but I don’t have any room to the side of me ...

Or I could just use my regular mic stand that way

Geez, they don’t give you much room, do they?

What about a call centre mic? No stand. :mellow:

I like the stand as a symbol of ‘my space’...this little bit here is mine with my expensive guitars and equipment and that bit over there is yours, kind of thing.

BluesKing777.

I like the stand as a symbol of ‘my space’...this little bit here is mine with my expensive guitars and equipment and that bit over there is yours, kind of thing.

I always wanted a "force field" to protect me from people falling UP on the stage.

It happened all the time.......

Archived