Gibson Brands Forums

"Cocaine"

BluesKing777

As per request from Vaca, here is my version of "Cocaine" written by I know not but everyone has done it!

Played on my 1937 Gibson L-0, with a cup of tea on the desk ......9.45am here and a mountain of work to do and it is even too early for a bourbon........

BluesKing777.

You sound too sober......

I think the cup of tea kicked in nicely towards the end of the track...... <_<

Hey, remember that first they had to find Mr Keef to record him, ...you know, "Sir Mr Keef, which guitar do you want for that song? You right for drinks?" etc... Point him at it and...

Whereas Mr BK777 here had to play and sing it into a contraption and somehow load it to all these other contraptions so you could hear it...and let me tell you - I can not for the life of me imagine even getting started in the condition Mr Keef looked! [biggrin] And the whole thing from play to load was about 15 minutes....

BluesKing777.

As a hack player of songs on six string I'm disturbed by the fact that you aren't making a fine living playing and recording your guitar. I was going to spend an hour trying to polish up my version of 'Everything Put Together Falls Apart', but after hearing this I think I'll just catch a buzz and watch Simpsons reruns.

I think that song needs to be played slower though, like the Jackson Browne version, to emphasize the misery. You've somehow made a happy version.

Yer the best.

As a hack player of songs on six string I'm disturbed by the fact that you aren't making a fine living playing and recording your guitar. I was going to spend an hour trying to polish up my version of 'Everything Put Together Falls Apart', but after hearing this I think I'll just catch a buzz and watch Simpsons reruns.

I think that song needs to be played slower though, like the Jackson Browne version, to emphasize the misery. You've somehow made a happy version.

Yer the best.

Van Ronk's version if different, but pretty nice.

Thanks!

Don't forget the Rev and Bob and Woody and Dave and Cash and Drake and Van Zandt and Thorogood etc etc....

Happy version? If you listen again, (my version) starts out humming along ala John Hurt but at about 1.07, I dig in more and from there on, it is barely containing the speed and angst build up! <_<

Want a little story? I was in a band that rehearsed and rehearsed with a new drummer - he was so nice and clean cut that we went with him over more experienced hardheads and it was going well...playing on time, playing with brushes even under our direction - Ha!, going well all over! And this other rotten guitarist that was only in the band for a minute introduced the cleanskin little drummer to dope! And in what seems like a manner of weeks, he just went off the rails! True. And we had an outside concert as part of a big bill of bands and just before we went on to do our set, I saw him snorting coke behind the stage with this other old drummer I know! Bang, he hits the snare and our first song was approximately 10 times the speed we normally played it. Awful, truly awful! Of course, we all had a big argument after the gig and he got the sack and then the guy that ran the concert came up and said it was the best thing he had ever heard especially the first (fast) song and he had managed to get it all on tape! [scared]

That is what I was thinking about at about 1.30 on the track!

BluesKing777.

Thanks!

Don't forget the Rev and Bob and Woody and Dave and Cash and Drake and Van Zandt and Thorogood etc etc....

Happy version? If you listen again, (my version) starts out humming along ala John Hurt but at about 1.07, I dig in more and from there on, it is barely containing the speed and angst build up! <_<

Want a little story? I was in a band that rehearsed and rehearsed with a new drummer - he was so nice and clean cut that we went with him over more experienced hardheads and it was going well...playing on time, playing with brushes even under our direction - Ha!, going well all over! And this other rotten guitarist that was only in the band for a minute introduced the cleanskin little drummer to dope! And in what seems like a manner of weeks, he just went off the rails! True. And we had an outside concert as part of a big bill of bands and just before we went on to do our set, I saw him snorting coke behind the stage with this other old drummer I know! Bang, he hits the snare and our first song was approximately 10 times the speed we normally played it. Awful, truly awful! Of course, we all had a big argument after the gig and he got the sack and then the guy that ran the concert came up and said it was the best thing he had ever heard especially the first (fast) song and he had managed to get it all on tape! [scared]

That is what I was thinking about at about 1.30 on the track!

BluesKing777.

Top stuff on the cover!! And a bit of a tragic band story there...but told through your talented prism of witty observation.

Top stuff on the cover!! And a bit of a tragic band story there...but told through your talented prism of witty observation.

Thanks FB!

I had been doing a mini-set of solo acoustic blues/vocals to add some light and shade in various electric blues bands I had been playing in. It always seemed to go over better than the band...and having already fallen in love with that style......well, it was goodbye bands and their unreliable staff!

Solo singer/guitarists RULE!!!

BluesKing777.

Archived