Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Banjo ID

chauncey

I am new to this forum and could benefit from the expertise of others. I have an Epiphone banjo that I plan to sell but need more info before I list it. Looking to confirm that it is an Epiphone Mb-250 and to discover the year of production. It was purchased new around 2007 maybe? It is heavy, weighs about 13 lbs. Serial number DW 07053586.

Welcome here. The best way to figure it out is check eBay for sold listings or take a look at Reverb and see what people are asking for them. Also if you bought it new a pretty good rule of thumb is about 50% of what you paid for it. There are some exceptions but pretty safe.

Good luck.

Click up on the Gibson Brands Forums and look for the "Gibson Original Instruments" forum and the "Epiphone" forum. You might have better luck there ( since that's where 'banjos' and 'Epiphones' are discussed) than finding someone with an answer here.

Thanks for the advice. I will post there.

perfect pitch

pərˈfekt piCH

noun

1. The ability to deliver a banjo to a trash container at a given distance in one throw without said banjo touching any edge, side, or rim of said trash container.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

rct

Why are there so many banjo jokes? I know they exist, but I don’t really get why. What’s their point?

Yep, I play 5 string banjo besides guitar. It’s a great instrument. And Gibson banjos, which I guess they are presently not making any longer (since the flood in Nashville, I think), historically were some of the finest banjos made.

So, what’s up with banjo jokes? People come up to me periodically (I include a short bluegrass set in my gigs) with banjo jokes and I usually just smile or something just to just pacify the teller or because I don’t want to say something rude to them. But, I don’t really see they are funny and not because I am a banjo player. I just don’t see what’s funny in them. And, I like humor a lot. (Especially George Carlin’s, Seinfeld’s, Chris Rock’s, so is it’s not a matter of political correctness as Carlin’s and Rock’s certainly aren’t or weren’t.)

Explain...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

It’s funny because of fortyearspickn’s comedic timing of saying it right after my post. Not about the banjo or necessarily the bagpipes. If it was said as a stand-alone joke of something like I don’t know why people go after banjos when they’ve got bagpipes they can go after, it would be flat, just like a standalone banjo joke. There is nothing funny about either the banjo or bagpipes. What is funny is it was said after my comment about what’s so funny about banjo jokes.

It’s kind of like a Martin & Lewis or Abbott &. Costello or Allen & Rossi comedic timing or Jack Benny being the straight man to Mel Blanc’s si, si, si, sy routine (or to the talented fellow who used to play Rochester, his butler on his show). It’s that comedic interaction that can be funny in itself. It was like I was the unknowing straight man to set up fortyearspickn’s punch line. That is what is funny.

Maybe you need to be familiar with American comedy duos...

Or, maybe you are and I just explained it.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I have a Deering Boston. I hope you aren't giving up on the 5 stingers! Tell your neighbors the First Amendment allows banjo playing until 10pm every night. Midnight on weekends !!

I heard this one while I was living in Scotland in the mid-1970s.

Q: You drop a banjo player and a bagpipe player from a rooftop - which one hits first.

A: Who cares.

Sorry. The Devil made me do it.

Archived