Gibson Brands Forums

D18 vs Bird

MorrisrownSal

Over the week I’ll come back with these two and a more polished demo... a better number. They are both awesome guitars. The Martin has Martin Retro strings, and the Bird has Martin flexible Core PBs, which feel so smooth.

I have a dilemma with my J-50, as it has the new Expensive Titanium Strings. They just don’t die. And my dilemma is I am tired of the sound, and miss the Gibson string Zing. I just feel like I am wasting the strings if I take them off. That’s the downside of using pricy strings.

Sal, this is like separating the sheep and the goats, or the Martins on the left and the Gibsons on the right whichever, there is no right or wrong here. It is which tone sounds more pleasing to your ear. If you are a big fan of upper register tones then you pick the Martin, if the mid-range and lower register are more pleasing to your ear then you tend toward the Gibson. That is where these instruments natural voices lay, and we like it that way. Could be that is why so many of us are prone to owning both brands. Was I you, I would hang on to both of those.

The Bird snags this round, to my ears...

Me too.

I think the Gibson sounds deeper, bigger, fuller and tonier.

The Martin sounds thinner to my ears. A great guitar I'm sure (Sal owns it...) but the Bird wins to me.

To my old ears the Martin was cleaner and punchier while the "Bird" was muddier-the bottom end seemed to obscure the higher register.Different songs would probably favor one guitar over the other, as it often goes.I don't have a Martin but I sure didn't mind that D-18.

I wouldn't kick either one out of bed for eating crackers..

seriously while here is a big difference in sounds, they both sound great.

I lean to Bird, however. just preference. I've never met a martin neck that I can get cozy with.

So is everyone basing the sound coming from high quality lap top speakers. That is not where I usually go to get my uber SACD sound for Yes - Close To The Edge.

Interesting that you can tell the quality of speakers from where you sit.

Archived