Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning down half a step?

dhanners623

Was watching some Jackson Browne videos on YouTube this morning and got to thinking -- Other than issues of vocal range, why tune down half a step? I tried it on my J-35 (strung with EJ-17s) and the reduced tension seems to bring out something in the guitar, but I'm not sure what. Do any of you guys do it? If so, why?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never done it.

I'll tune a guitar to drop-D for one or two songs in a given set, and I'll capo-up for a select few also.

And we, as a band, have been known to abandon the original key for a given song, simply in order to make it singable.

(For example, changing the chords of The Lion Sleeps Tonight from F, Bb, and C to E, A, and B.)

But we've never tuned down a half step.

I used to hear that some metal bands will tune down a half step, just to achieve a 'heavier' sound. (KISS's first couple of albums were reportedly recorded this way.)

But I always assumed that the seven string guitars evolved simply to allow a heavier sound as well.

:unsure:

I tune down a half step for a couple of songs to make them a little easier to sing, but I agree, it makes the guitar sound somewhat different. For some song, it sounds great, for others not so much. It makes for a more drone like sound, I think.

However, in general terms, the guitars are designed to sound their best at normal pitch, which I also think in most situations is correct.

Lars

I have nothing but tuned down guitars - it suits my style and makes them sound better, , , especially the squares.

If i play in std.-tuning it's with capo.

My 1965 old-vase-ivory saddled CW is permanently a whole step down and capoed on second. Convenient as the 9/11 (or is it 5/8) is too narrow.

Ditto Em7. All mine, no J's or Dreads, are tuned a whole step down, all with heavier 13's to keep the tone intact. I do it for fretting hand comfort and vocal access. I also find that if I'm hearing a song I'd like to learn, the key is often transposed to one that still uses familiar chords. With the extra available singing range I generally have at least two comfortable keys to warble in. I can actually still get to my girlie falsetto for 'Eagles', " I Can't Tell You Why", and Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man", if I'm warmed up.

My little Guild F20 did need a truss rod tweak to keep intonation on spot above the 4th fret.

For some bands I was in, we tuned down a half step. I played mostly hard rock/metal so it gave a slightly deeper sound. I was in one band where we tuned down a full step to D. It's all about the sound and I hear it helps some vocalists. I always have one guitar tuned down a half step to play along with songs recorded a half step down, usually my white Flying V. It does make bending strings a little easier. The guys I play with these days are all in standard tuning.

For some bands I was in, we tuned down a half step. I played mostly hard rock/metal so it gave a slightly deeper sound. I was in one band where we tuned down a full step to D. It's all about the sound and I hear it helps some vocalists. I always have one guitar tuned down a half step to play along with songs recorded a half step down, usually my white Flying V. It does make bending strings a little easier. The guys I play with these days are all in standard tuning.

the tension change on the strings used to drive me half daffed.. took me some time to get accustomed to it. back in those days, we all had locking trems too,, so it was a major PITA to make the changes... I was never a fan..

It depends on the guitar. If you play old guitars with no neck reinforcement but want to stick with 12 gauge strings tuning down 1/2 to 1 step is a matter of survival. I tune my pre-War Regal 12 string down 1 1/2 steps. Harmony 12 strings actually used to come with a warning to do this. But especially with the smaller el cheapo guitars it also makes them sound fuller.

Shortly after I ended my music lesson phase, as a teenager, I started tuning down 1/2 step. Would keep a capo on the 1st fret when out in public. (Back when capos were an elastic band with grommet holes.)

When I started back seriously playing (serious for me) I went to a full step down. Gives me more possibilities in picking the key for the vocal half of the song in my range.

Shortly after I ended my music lesson phase, as a teenager, I started tuning down 1/2 step. Would keep a capo on the 1st fret when out in public. (Back when capos were an elastic band with grommet holes.)

I started off with the pencil and rubber band capo. Those capos with the elastic grommet were downright civilized compared to the old metal ones. Someday I am going to post a photo of my small collection of old capos. They look like medieval torture devices. They all came with old guitars as case candy.

I started off with the pencil and rubber band capo. Those capos with the elastic grommet were downright civilized compared to the old metal ones. Someday I am going to post a photo of my small collection of old capos. They look like medieval torture devices. They all came with old guitars as case candy.

Saw a great picture earlier this week of a Doc Watson album cover, back in the day. Holding his prized guitar with one of those elasticized fabric capos on his 2nd fret. I guess they worked pretty well.

I tried 432 Hz tuning, half step down and full step down before reading this article about standard D tuning. I've since changed to Laurence Juber Martin Monels that are tweaked for alternate tunings and tune to standard D. I love it. Makes swapping to DADGAD and Open G pretty simple. A capo makes it simple enough to play in standard E. The heavier strings really do make a difference.

absolutely... A far cry from the advances today.

I would like to see them. I have a few, acquired the same way but only one older than the Hamilton "handbrake". I enjoy the old novelty stuff picks, capos etc.

Archived