Gibson Brands Forums

"Old Timbrook"

BluesKing777

I recorded my version of John Byrd's "Old Timbrook".

Played on my 1952 Gibson LG1.

Tech: Open D - guitar through its passive Fishman undersaddle pickup to aLG1 Tonedexter image I made - vocal in Shure SM58 - both through Boss VE8 Acoustic Singer - A&H mixer - iMac.

WiBiRbnh.jpg

BluesKing777.

That's a pretty old song, variations of which have been recorded by a whole bunch of folks in several different styles.

Here's some background:

Molly and Tenbrooks

While I like this bluesy version, both the folky version and the bluegrass versions are pretty cool, too. I really like the Ian and Sylvia take on it: (WARNING for those of tender sensibilities: contains stunning banjer work by Eric Weissberg.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0avmRRwrY

Thanks for the replies!

I plugged the LG1 in to the Tonedexter with a sound image I made a couple of weeks back and it really does sound like my guitar mic’d with my Neumann KM184.....so pleased was I that I thought to record something.....Open D, open d, open d...hmmm? Ah! I had recorded Old Timbrook with my Nationals a few times and had come up with the slide solo...Aha! I played the solo through the Tonedexter....whoo hoo, I thought. But then, I could probably do a song with the Tonedexter plugged through my Boss VE8 Acoustic Singer, couldn’t I? So I had half a run through of the tune while the old iMac warmed up, pressed record and the rest is history....pun there!

The Better Half and I used to go to the track a bit many years ago....she liked the horses and I would take my camera and catch the crowd as best I could, not really interested in the nags. BUT, one day there, the BH showed me the form guide had a horse called “Go Flash Go” and I mean, who could resist that little horse with the lightning bolt on its nose? So to make a very long story short, the BH would sit like Queen Bee up the top of the stand and I was usually all over the shop taking photos, watching the horses in the mounting yard, going to the bookies, going back to the seat with the ticket then down to the side of the track at the finish line...... My bet was on Flash and standing at the fence I could see that lightning bolt comng down the track and everyone around me, it seems, was yelling “Go Flash Go!” and in a rush of blood, I personally rode that little horse over the line!

So I vividly imagine Old Timbrook ‘rushing by’ like in the song and I also like the old story blues, but I have to say Nick .....that bluegrass tune is awful!

BluesKing777.

So I vividly imagine Old Timbrook ‘rushing by’ like in the song and I also like the old story blues, but I have to say Nick .....that bluegrass tune is awful!

BluesKing777.

Ha! I bet the banjer has warped your mind.

Archived