Gibson Brands Forums

ES-330L Model Number

Rob831

I need some help deciphering the model number of a Gibson ES-330L.

The orange, oval-shaped paper beneath the F-hole reads: ES330. I know the ES stands for: electric Spanish and the 330 (I believe) stands for the retail price of the 330 when it was first introduced in 1959.

However, the navy blue, Gibson Custom Shop certificate of authenticity has a model number which reads: HBO15m. Can someone please help me decipher what this stands for?

I sincerely appreciate your help and insight.

Thank you.

Rob

• 2 months later...

I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Gibson plant in Memphis on Friday, April 20, 2018 and I have to say, it was the best $10.00 I ever spent.

After my tour, I inquired about the modal number for my ES-330L guitar.

The gentleman explained HB015M to me:

HB = Hand Built

015 = guitar number 15 out of 100

M = Memphis

• 5 months later...

I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Gibson plant in Memphis on Friday, April 20, 2018 and I have to say, it was the best $10.00 I ever spent.

After my tour, I inquired about the modal number for my ES-330L guitar.

The gentleman explained HB015M to me:

HB = Hand Built

015 = guitar number 15 out of 100

M = Memphis

Hi Rob,

I'm glad you enjoyed your Memphis Gibson factory tour. I visited also that factory last July 3rd, 2018 and even though I had an idea of how they were building those ES guitars, it was a real pleasure to make that tour.

I have found your post as I was searching for the same code: HB015M which I have seen on a ES-330L with P90 in factory Beale Street Blue color (for sale in Europe). I have found out that they indeed have built a 100 of those guitars around 2011 but if you are correct saying that 015 indicates the 15th guitar out of 100 then we are talking about the same guitar?

Have you sold that guitar? The one I have spotted is currently sold as new but the sales guy told me it was a B stock which I translated as "a 2011 brand new guitar that has spent some time on display and got a few marks from its exposition to public". However, if that guitar once belonged to you, then it's no longer a B stock but rather a 2nd hand guitar.

Have you kept a record of its serial number? Could it be CS1537xx?

Thanks,

Fred

[EDIT]: I have just found pictures of a sold 2008 ES-330L Beale Street Blue guitar and the COA had the same reference "HB015M" and a serial number related to a 2008 production... It seems the "015" would not mean the 15th guitar.

Hi Fred,

I sure hope you see this posting the next time you are on the Gibson Forum.

Yes, I still own my Gibson ES-330L in Beale Street Blue, which has vintage style dog-ear P90 single-coil pickups with black plastic covers.

From what I have researched, and I most certainly could be wrong, the ES-330L Reissue was only built in 2011 and 2012. Furthermore, the Beale Street Blue finish was supposedly only available in 2011. But then again, I could be mistaken or I could have been misled.

The serial number for my guitar is: CS1543XX and it was built in 2011.

And lastly, after my Gibson Factory tour in April 2018, I handed by certificate of authenticity to my Gibson Factory tour guide, who in turn spoke with the production department that stated:

HB = hand built

015 = guitar 15/100

M = Memphis

Again, I hope you read this posting.

Best,

Rob

From what I have researched, and I most certainly could be wrong, the ES-330L Reissue was only built in 2011 and 2012. Furthermore, the Beale Street Blue finish was supposedly only available in 2011. But then again, I could be mistaken or I could have been misled.

Actually, the ES-330L was first released in 2008. It was available in sunburst, red, and blue. Production continued into 2011, and towards the end of it's run, a natural finish version had been added. In 2012, Memphis produced it's first ES-330 VOS version, and the 330L was dropped from the lineup.

As for the COA with HB015m, my Beale St Blue 2010 330L has the exact same code, so clearly the information provided by Memphis was not totally accurate!

Archived