Gibson Brands Forums

J45 - chips down the side of the fretboard

uncle fester

Hi all - I saw this reverb post for a 2016 vintage J45... in the comments the seller says 'just a heads up, many of these guitars came straight from the Gibson factory with chips in the side of the fretboard....' I had never heard that before - just curios, is this something any of you have heard of before - and / or should it be a red flag for this guitar? Thanks for any input.

Rgds - billroy

If the chips are where the fret ends are, then it's feet sprout caused by dry guitar conditions.

My thoughts too. My J-35 Vintage shows no sign of this "chipping", and I have played more than a handful of the J-45 Vintage models too where I did not note this.

I have the chips on the side of my fretboard that is mentioned. Didn't think anything of it as it doesn't affect playability or tone. It's a 2018 J-45.

They are actually in between fret ends. It might be the nicest Gibson in tone and playability that I've ever owned, so it doesn't bother me (I got a great price on it too).

Alright, lets see how much education I've received over the last couple months - here's my assessment from a potential buyer's perspective.

At $3799 it's a little pricey, $3200 is where I'm thinking this one should come in - but any input?

-------

General going rate for a J45 vintage is $3400

The chips should take a little off the price as well... so closer to $3200

The professional repairs, and set up, nut sanding etc - hopefully is a good thing, but depends on the luthier and I don't know anything on this one - so is a wash

I'm also not sure if the tuners are original or if they swapped them out

--------

The big but - and i'm going on pictures only, it is beautiful, and man i'd love to have a banner, even if it's a '16 replica... - maybe back up to $34/3500

--------

the biggest but, a lot of things are beautiful until they speak - so the shop return policies are:

this can be returned, but within one day of receipt

there's a 15% restocking fee

-------

hypothetically saying I was looking to jump, my next steps would be

1) Check with this forum for concurrence in $3200 price

2) Negotiate keeping the guitar for 2 weeks before returning (if req'd)

3) Negotiate restocking fee (agree to 5% if required, $150 vs $450)

4) Wait for a very happy day to occur

Not sure any of this is realistic, but it's my starting point.

Anyone else have input on a price they would jump on for this one if they had the money? Thank you all again - really do appreciate the input and guidance.

Archived