Gibson Brands Forums

Hi All! I'm hoping to buy an AE LG2 soon

jjrpilot

Hi All!

Thanks for having me! Seems like a wonderful community of folks here! Well a little into my background....one of the first high end guitars I ever bought was a Taylor GS8. That opened a whole new world to me. I've since sold it but and replaced it with a Taylor 324 (mahogany top / Blackwood back and sides)

I also own and run the UTGF (unofficial Taylor guitar forum) and mistakenly wandered into the world of Martin guitars....so about 2 years ago I landed on a Martin OMJM which I love for it's really warm sound.

THEN I mistakenly ran across a video of the American Eagle LG2.....and I CAN'T SHAKE THE SOUND! So warm and "punchy" is how I would describe Gibsons. So now I've set my eyes on a used AE LG2 locally and hope to snag it later this week.

1 Taylor, 1 Martin and hopefully soon 1 Gibson. I would consider Martin and Gibson similar in tone but Gibson has the warmth of Martin but a "thumpiness" that I haven't found in any other brand. I think I also appreciate, at least to my ears, the quick "decay" of chords and notes that come from a Gibson (not to say that Gibsons can't ring out)

Anyways....I have to have one. Period.

Well thanks for listening, and I hope to learn a ton from you all!

I had one for a while and really liked it. Amazingly versatile and docile little guitar, would cover anything you threw at it stylistically and was very warm and neutral sounding, very even and smooth across the tonal spectrum.

I traded mine for a ‘41 Reissue SJ100 as I’m a big guy and have always found Jumbos and Dreads suit me best, but I do miss it.

Welcome to the forum. I have an LG-2 AE and I probably play it more than any I have, I think you will love one. Your are correct about the forum and the people on it. The People here are great and they will help you with about anything Guitars. Great group of people. There is also a lot of very talented players. Have fun.

Welps! With the wife’s approval I snagged the used LG2 today! I ran across a used one on Reverb and to my shock the seller was in the city next to mine! A few messages back and forth and I was able to meet the seller today.

He advertised it as “Mint” and thankfully he was being honest. He had the original paperwork with it and even had the unopened goodie pack that came from Gibson. He said it was a true closet instrument and had maybe 10 hours of total playing time on it. It’s a 2013 model from what I understand.

This guitar is an absolute joy to play! Lord willing this will be a guitar that I’ll keep for life!

It has that classic Gibson thump and smoothness. The finish and built quality is perfect! The wood grain on top and back and sides is just wonderful.

I’m thinking about putting some John Pearce lights on it or maybe some Martin Bronze lights.

It’s oh so comfortable to play!

I’m in heaven!

That's awesome mate.

My oldest son's is a 2013. My other's is a 2016.

And a Gibson, Martin, and a Taylor is as understandable as one bourbon one scotch and one beer...

Actually as #2 is making his way home from 4 years at Michigan, so is the 2016. I can’t wait.... hahaha.

Archived