Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a 1997 Second Edition LP Recording?

Just purchased a Les Paul from a pawn shop for 100 dollars. It's been refinished and appears moderately modified.

I'm hoping to restore it back to it's original glory. Problem is with the modifications ( the body even appears to have been milled down smaller than any LP's I have seen ) its difficult to determine what model LP this was.

Serial number stamped on headstock is:

73417077 so I know it was manufactured in Dec 1977

Underneath the serial number in capital letters ( about same size as serial number ) is stamped the word "SECOND"

I'm hoping this doesnt mean "factory second" as I believe gibson uses the numeral 2 to distinguish those.

Cant remove any more finish yet, but I assume under the word SECOND might appear the word EDITION.

Gibson made a Second Edition Les Pal Recording that year, could that be it?

Could you provide me with any original make/model/specs based on the serial number?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Body/electronics modified quite a bit.

Has Wahburn Wonderbar Trem bridge. ( not stock obviously)

Right now it has a single volume control. But the back cavity ( which may have been expanded during modifications ) show there were originally 4 potentiometers ( holes) that are now filled in.

There is also indication of a 5th hole (filled in) half the diameter of the pot holes. This is located about an inch away from the topmost/forwardmost potentiometer - and is about 1/4 inch diameter. ( for a switch perhaps? )

Picture of the serial number on headstock is pretty visible. 73417077 - which puts manufacture in Dec 1977 ( not 1997 as I originally mis-typed )

What is difficult to see in that picture is the word "SECOND" underneath serial but its there in capital letters about same size as the serial numerals.

I am assuming underneath "SECOND" should appear the word "EDITION" ( after I remove more of the finish.

I know that in late 1977 Gibson started producing a Second Edition Les Paul Recording guitar.

If so, I've heard these are rare - so I want to be sure if that's what I have here. :)

Okay - so I finally found a picture showing the word "SECOND" on a factory second. Even though it'sabove the serial number not below it, i am ready to concede this is probsbly a second. ( i will, of course remove more finish just to be certain. )

I just needed to know because if its an LP Custom ( as customer support says ) then I have lots of options as to how to rebuild it.

If it were a second edition LP Recording - well those are so rare, I would want to be that much more meticulous in the rebuild.

Thanks for the responses in this and other threads. :)

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/museum/gibson-guitars/1978-gibson-es175t-0617/

Correction: Topic Title should read:

"Is this a 1977 Second Edition Les Paul Recording?

Here's some pics:

Hey sgm;

Probably not what you want to hear but, looking at your pics I'm not sure that anything is Gibson other than the neck, which is probably from a LP or SG custom. During this time period Gibson often stamped guitars seconds that had some minor flaw (from reading it was typically some finish or cosmetic flaw). The recording used smaller block inlays than the customs which are larger like yours. I doubt the body is Gibson (it kinda looks like a Washburn Idol body). The body of a '77 LPC would be solid mahogany with a maple cap and bound both sides, I cant see anyone mutilating an LPC body in such a way, but the 80's were a strange time.

Here's some links to pics for reference;

Recording

http://www.rlinwood.com/family_webpage/linkpages/music/LPR/LPR_Master.htm

LPC

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1977-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Hope that helps

Johnny

Thanks, Johnny! :)

Not that dissappointed that it's not an LP recording. If it was (and a second edition) it would be rare, and I'd feel obliged to restore it meticulously to original. Of course it would be worth $$$ but what I really want/need is just a great axe.

I'm 65 on limited income, but have hooked up with some guys from my first rock band in highschool. We're gonna reunion and gig - just going to be the highlight of my life.

This guitar is actually extremely interesting and quite well rebuilt save one minor gaff.

The body is a puzzle for sure - solid mahogany and even with those cavities it weighs a ton.

It could very well be a Washburn Idol, though even that would have been "carved" to this shape. I suspect it has been carved because the one minor gaff is that the corner of the neck pickup mount hangs uber so slightly over the body of the guitar.

But if it was/is an Idol, that would sure explain the Washburn Wonderbar.

Still a lot of questions though - like it's gotta be pretty frikkin' difficult to put a one piece gibson neck on a body designed for a bolt on. ( i'm just assumimg the Idol is a bolt on )

I was amazed at the pitch of the neck, quite severe, like 20 degrees or more but it needs to be like that to accomodate the flush mounted Wonderbar trem bridge. And the string action is perfect at this pitch.

Oh, and the pot holes are more like the idol too - so who knows, eh?

( sorry for being long winded, but this stuff just fascinates me. :) )

Anyway, the upshot is that I'm quite delighted, because I got this guitar for $100. And when I'm done with it, it will be amazing!

A buddy (guitar builder) and I will rebuild/replace with a replica LP Custom body - it will be tiger maple top stained/finished in deep blue.

I will goldplate the Wonderbar Trem bridge, and actually rout it into the body so it's lower and looks like it "belongs" there. :) ( I love the Wonderbar )

About the only hardware I'll need to buy are Gibson pots/caps, pickup covers and maybe a 3-way switch.

Some back covers and a Les Paul Custom truss cover.

So for another hundred bucks ( cuz the body material and labour is free) I will have a truly beautiful truly Custom axe, that I'm going to LOVE and be damned proud to play! :)

Thanks for the responses, Johnny and all - this forum and the Gibson community in general just ROCKS!

Doug Soulguyman Friesen (y)

Thanks, Johnny! :)

Not that dissappointed that it's not an LP recording. If it was (and a second edition) it would be rare, and I'd feel obliged to restore it meticulously to original. Of course it would be worth $$$ but what I really want/need is just a great axe.

I'm 65 on limited income, but have hooked up with some guys from my first rock band in highschool. We're gonna reunion and gig - just going to be the highlight of my life.

This guitar is actually extremely interesting and quite well rebuilt save one minor gaff.

The body is a puzzle for sure - solid mahogany and even with those cavities it weighs a ton.

It could very well be a Washburn Idol, though even that would have been "carved" to this shape. I suspect it has been carved because the one minor gaff is that the corner of the neck pickup mount hangs uber so slightly over the body of the guitar.

But if it was/is an Idol, that would sure explain the Washburn Wonderbar.

Still a lot of questions though - like it's gotta be pretty frikkin' difficult to put a one piece gibson neck on a body designed for a bolt on. ( i'm just assumimg the Idol is a bolt on )

I was amazed at the pitch of the neck, quite severe, like 20 degrees or more but it needs to be like that to accomodate the flush mounted Wonderbar trem bridge. And the string action is perfect at this pitch.

Oh, and the pot holes are more like the idol too - so who knows, eh?

( sorry for being long winded, but this stuff just fascinates me. :) )

Anyway, the upshot is that I'm quite delighted, because I got this guitar for $100. And when I'm done with it, it will be amazing!

A buddy (guitar builder) and I will rebuild/replace with a replica LP Custom body - it will be tiger maple top stained/finished in deep blue.

I will goldplate the Wonderbar Trem bridge, and actually rout it into the body so it's lower and looks like it "belongs" there. :) ( I love the Wonderbar )

About the only hardware I'll need to buy are Gibson pots/caps, pickup covers and maybe a 3-way switch.

Some back covers and a Les Paul Custom truss cover.

So for another hundred bucks ( cuz the body material and labour is free) I will have a truly beautiful truly Custom axe, that I'm going to LOVE and be damned proud to play! :)

Thanks for the responses, Johnny and all - this forum and the Gibson community in general just ROCKS!

Doug Soulguyman Friesen (y)

Hey Doug;

Well you have a great attitude towards this, and I agree, for $100 you have got something unique that you can customize to your hearts content. Enjoy the hell out of it both the modding and the playing. And be sure to post back when you got your baby done, we LOVE pics.

Johnny

PS - forgot to mention, there were some set neck Idols. Doesn’t mean that Is what yours is, but it does kinda look like it to me.

Archived