Gibson Brands Forums

Help when mixing voice with two or more instruments

Lars68

I'm trying to make simple recordings with multiple instruments. I have my vocals on one track, my main guitar on the other, then I add some additional instruments like a second guitar, keyboards, and accordion. I have noticed that how the parts of the recording are mixed makes a WORLD of difference. I have done my mixes by trial and error, and usually pan the guitar ever so slightly one way, the main additional instrument a little further the other way, trying to EQ it not to interfere with the guitar frequencies. The voice is right down the middle, a little louder than the other tracks. Trying to do this has given me great respect for the difficulties and skills involved. It is a true art form, that sometimes don't get the acknowledgement it deserves.

Are there any useful "rules" or guidelines than can help me get better end results? Here are some samples of what I have now:

Voice/main guitar/Nashville tuned guitar/accordion

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/den-ha-r-stan

Voice/main guitar/keyboard

Voice/main guitar/Keyboard 1 as Glockenspiel/Keyboard 2 as strings (sort of...)

I want the additional instruments to be complementary, as I'm looking to maintain the original vibe of an acoustic performance.

Lars

....I want the additional instruments to be complementary....

I think you could bring the additional instruments up in the mix a bit, that is, louder. Even the guitar could probably be a little louder. You're not close to covering up the voice. And what about some percussion? msp_smile.gif

I think you could bring the additional instruments up in the mix a bit, that is, louder. Even the guitar could probably be a little louder. You're not close to covering up the voice. And what about some percussion? msp_smile.gif

Thanks for listening! Do you mind telling me what you used for playback, headphones or speakers (big or small)? I mixed these tracks using headphones, and I have noticed that I tend to mix down the additional instruments more with headphones than when I use my normal speakers. I guess this is because the other instruments appear clearer in the headphones. I will try as you suggest. My vocals are not so good, so hiding them a little could help [biggrin]

Lars

Btw, percussion is in the works, just need to get some of those egg shakers and a tambourine.

Archived