Gibson Brands Forums

Would a '76 J-45 have the 1.72" nut?

bayoubengal1954

Not sure of the exact nut width by 1976, but I think the narrow nut was gone by then. Be aware that the square dread Gibsons in this period, including the J-45, would be a long-scale (25.5") guitar, which means the neck won't marry properly with a guitar built as a 24.75" scale without some mods. Intonation will be off.

Not sure of the exact nut width by 1976, but I think the narrow nut was gone by then. Be aware that the square dread Gibsons in this period, including the J-45, would be a long-scale (25.5") guitar, which means the neck won't marry properly with a guitar built as a 24.75" scale without some mods. Intonation will be off.

Ah, good information to have. That changes things quite a bit. Thanks, Nick!

Do you know when they went back to the shorter 24.75 scale? Thx

Do you know when they went back to the shorter 24.75 scale? Thx

Not sure, but it was probably when they went back to producing the round-shoulder J-45 in 1984 or so. You can probably assume that all square-shoulder J-45's are long scale, and all round-shoulder J-45s are short scale. Others here may have better information.

Archived