Gibson Brands Forums

bigsby or not ?

Tetley

I have a 2002 335 Dot ( one of the last made in the Samick factory )and it is fitted with a "Bigsby" type trem. However, It does not say "Bigsby" on it - it just has the epiphone "E".

I can't find information about this version, so can anyone please tell me when it was produced, what guitars was it used on, and any other information ?

Thanks

Can't help on your specific question, but I have a Dot that was made in Qingdao (sp?) in 02/07 and it came without a Bigsby (just a standard stoptail). I've since added a Bigsby, and after some serious mods, just love this guitar. So, I guess to sort of answer your question, they didn't come with Bigsby's (or similar) from Qindao in '07.

Bigsby's have been made for Fender Gibson and Gretsch too from time to time too since their inception.

I doubt there is much more info than that.

Some people think the brand marked ones are more special. I wouldnt pay a premium for one, but its kinda cool.

image.jpg

I Think the diff is some are licensed by Bigsby, perhaps not "Bigsby" made. what's the diff? no idea..

The difference would be: Bigsby makes them themselves or they license the design rights for some no-name brand to make more cheaply

The difference would be: Bigsby makes them themselves or they license the design rights for some no-name brand to make more cheaply

well, I know that! But the difference I'm talking about is related to quality. just because it was cheaper, does it mean it's nearly not as good?

that's where I was goin. I have a # of USA Bigsby's but no "licensed" ones.

well, I know that! But the difference I'm talking about is related to quality. just because it was cheaper, does it mean it's nearly not as good?

that's where I was goin. I have a # of USA Bigsby's but no "licensed" ones.

I have both USA and licensed Bigsbys on my guitars, and I can not tell a difference in function.

I have both USA and licensed Bigsbys on my guitars, and I can not tell a difference in function.

Yeah, most "licensed" ones are made in Korea, and the quality is really good. The US made are usually only a couple bucks more.

The only bad "Bigsby" I ever came across was a supposed "US" made TremTrue, it was total cheap garbage.

If you would like a tremolo that is high quality German made and requires no additional hardware to be installed on your guitar, the Duesenberg Les Trem II takes the place of the stop bar. Very easy to install or removed if necessary. Duesenberg also makes other styles of tremolos including a Bigsby style. I have a Les Trem II it was easy to install and I moved it to a few different guitars till it landed on my Explorer..

Duesenberg Les Trem II

TM85N_15767f002e2f7f_600x600.jpg

Archived