Gibson Brands Forums

Flat wound strings

Trevor Hyett

Any recommendations for flat-wound (jazz) guitar strings for a Gibson tenor electric? I guess there are too few guitars out there for mainstream manufacturers to meet my need, but who might make individual strings? Preferably in Europe (for tax and import duty reasons!!) Thanks in advance…Best Trevor

Trevor, I have used D'Addario XL Chromes .012 to .052 on my ES175D since about 1980.

There is a twist however, I throw away the .052, and move everything up one and add a .010 E string.

In Other words, I wind up with:

E - 0.042

A - 0.032

D - 0.024w

G - 0.016

B - 0.012

E - 0.010

The net effect is a very versatile combination that has allowed me to effectively play music from Jazz to Status Quo and beyond.

To hear these strings in action, in this song "EMILY", I used the ES175D for both Rhythm and Solo:

I hope that's of some help

Any recommendations for flat-wound (jazz) guitar strings for a Gibson tenor electric? I guess there are too few guitars out there for mainstream manufacturers to meet my need, but who might make individual strings? Preferably in Europe (for tax and import duty reasons!!) Thanks in advance…Best Trevor

Archived