Gibson Brands Forums

ABR-1 vs Nashville bridge on SG 61 Reissue

TSandwell

I'm going to buy a used 61 reissue SG. Reading on forums about this model quite a few people have talked about the ABR-1 bridge on pre-2004 models as being far superior to the Nashville bridge they started using in 2004 and recommend getting one from that era. Does it really make that much difference? will I be happy with a post 2003 61 reissue?

Cheers

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

The Nashville bridge was introduced in the mid-'70s as an improvement over the original ABR-1.

It's more solid; it doesn't have a tendency to collapse with age; the bridge-saddles have a wider range of travel; adjustment of the saddles is easier as the screw-head faces rearwards instead of towards the bridge pick-up ring; it is more solidly located on heavier-duty studs; there is not the slight chance that the posts will become deformed and bend forwards under string pressure; the saddles can't fall out accidentally if a string breaks...

That's all that I can think of without putting some real thought into the matter.

Pip.

EDIT : I can't understand why a '61 Re-issue SG can come with a Nashville fitted in the first place. Very Odd Idea.

Edited by pippy

I hate the big Nashville bridge, to upgrade your SG with an ABR-1 bridge check Faber, Callaham, TonePros, etc...

The cheapest and the best solution is using Philadelphia Luthier Tools conversion studs with a real Gibson ABR-1 bridge.

I choose black because the Gibson is Trans Black ,

sg_sta22.jpg

sg_sta21.jpg

NEW ! Nashville studs made for the Gibson ABR-1 Bridge:

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/abr-1-bridges/abr-1-parts/conversion-posts-us-nashville-to-abr-1-m5-to-140-nickel/

An SG '61 Ri made before 2003 has a Gibson ABR-1 bridge and nickel hardware.

Edited by Revolution Six
  • Haha 1

I hate the big Nashville bridge, to upgrade your SG with an ABR-1 bridge check Faber, Callaham, TonePros, etc...

The cheapest and the best solution is using Philadelphia Luthier Tools conversion studs with a real Gibson ABR-1 bridge.

I choose black because the Gibson is Trans Black ,

sg_sta22.jpg

sg_sta21.jpg

NEW ! Nashville studs made for the Gibson ABR-1 Bridge:

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/abr-1-bridges/abr-1-parts/conversion-posts-us-nashville-to-abr-1-m5-to-140-nickel/

An SG '61 Ri made before 2003 has a Gibson ABR-1 bridge and nickel hardware.

Why do you hate the Nashville?

strings touching back of bridge.

I assure you; there's absolutely no problem on any of my guitars caused by the strings touching the back of the bridge.

You are more than welcome to pop around any time to check them out for yourself if you doubt me.

Pip.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am supposed to make the same decision soon. Does the supposed tonal superiority of ABRs, according to those who actually hear it, arise from being directly screwed into the wood? If so, the Nashville to ABR conversion kits won't be much use in that regard because they use the Nashville bushings right? Most fancy aftermarket bridges I am seeing are ABRs. Actually interested in trying couple of bridges like the Callaham steel, and I bet they each come with their own studs they advise to be used with, and screwing studs in and out of the wood does look kinda risky. Opinions?

Edited by newlespauler

Pippy summarized it...except the saddle adjustment screws can go either way. The Nashville is more durable than the ABR-1 screw posts.

I had a sixties Gibson that bent forward, I don't know if it's from the strings pushing against the back of the bridge. But looking back it's probably my rough rock'n rolling abuse when I was younger and more animated.... LOL. Anyway, I just used a pair of pliers to straighten the post bolts.

As far as tone... meh. I notice bad tone when I don't practice.

I am supposed to make the same decision soon. Does the supposed tonal superiority of ABRs, according to those who actually hear it, arise from being directly screwed into the wood? If so, the Nashville to ABR conversion kits won't be much use in that regard because they use the Nashville bushings right? Most fancy aftermarket bridges I am seeing are ABRs. Actually interested in trying couple of bridges like the Callaham steel, and I bet they each come with their own studs they advise to be used with, and screwing studs in and out of the wood does look kinda risky. Opinions?

Nashville. The scrumptyliciousness of the Gibsons I've played with Nashville bridges have convinced me. My tinnitus came with a superpower apart from being able to turn into a spider in pajamas, battling Chibson makers worldwide: a hyper-whatchamacallit condition where I'm sensitive to high frequencies to the point where 19 and 20 kHz are different beasts altogether.

This is just my experience, but I believe the tonal difference is, possibly, not even there.

• 1 year later...