Gibson Brands Forums

Missing Dad

JohnnyCanuck

I haven’t posted here in years, might be years before I post again. I know I am one of many here who grew up in a musical family, and was blessed to carry on playing into my generation and pass it on to the generation after. I am also one of many here playing an instrument that was played by a parent, I grew up listening to my dad playing his guitar, and it is the most important physical connection I have to him as he’s passed on almost 3 years ago. When I see it, I think of him, when I smell it, I can feel him beside me playing and laughing, and when I play it, I can feel the grooves on the fretboard that he wore down, I can see and feel the scratches and know he put them there. Even now it brings tears to my eyes, they are both happy and sad tears. I am almost 60, and so is my Dads guitar. Miss you, Dad, and thanks for everything, I’ll play a tune for you today.

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure there are many here with similar experiences. I started out on my father’s accordion and I still have it, now some years after his passing.

Best regards and memories to you. . B)

That is really a beautiful story of personal heritage, and handing down treasures to live on.

Be sure to play it every day, and say hi to your dad in a way only you two can know.

My dad's been gone 20 years now, not a day passes I don't think about him and my mom. She passed in 2002.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

I think this was the nicest, most heartfelt post that I've read on the forum since I joined. My dad passed away just 2 months ago (so it hits a nerve) and I don't really have anything from him that is comparable. Perhaps its strange, but I would actually feel better if I knew my guitars would be going to family members. Unfortunately, its not looking promising. My son is a sax player and my daughter is not musical at all. Oh well - maybe a (as yet unborn) grandchild will inherit the guitar gene.

Memories are tricky double edged blades, both upsetting and uplifting. Your post is more of the latter, helping me remember accompanying my Dad strumming the chords to 'Girl From Ipanema', while he played the melody in a style that emulated his music hero, Paul Desmond, on his beautifully etched Selmer alto sax. This was probably some 50 years ago. The sax is still in the family. Around that time I saw my first live concert, The Band, just in between 'Big Pink' and the self titled album. My path was set to want to stay with the guitar, I mean, Robertson made it look so easy. That blowing into a sax looked like real work.

I haven’t posted here in years, might be years before I post again. I know I am one of many here who grew up in a musical family, and was blessed to carry on playing into my generation and pass it on to the generation after. I am also one of many here playing an instrument that was played by a parent, I grew up listening to my dad playing his guitar, and it is the most important physical connection I have to him as he’s passed on almost 3 years ago. When I see it, I think of him, when I smell it, I can feel him beside me playing and laughing, and when I play it, I can feel the grooves on the fretboard that he wore down, I can see and feel the scratches and know he put them there. Even now it brings tears to my eyes, they are both happy and sad tears. I am almost 60, and so is my Dads guitar. Miss you, Dad, and thanks for everything, I’ll play a tune for you today.

Reading this reminded me of a song I love playing "I Still Can't Say Goodbye" by Chet Atkins.

A fine story and one seldom occasion where there's no need to know or ask about the guitar.

Though we didn't talk for 30 years I have my old mans instruments and chose to use one of his harps on the intro of a serious track.

It must be from the 1940's.

It felt very right to do it - also used my granddad's bicycle in the studio.

Turned it upside down, miked it up and recorded the smooth'n'gentle yet lite-percussive sound of the running gear - tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic ... . . . .

I have the same connection, but with my Grandmother’s piano. She sat me beside her on her piano stool when I was four years old and began my musical education-she played and sang, taught me how chords work, taught me how to arrange vocal harmony (she was a choral arranger, and despite being of no particular religious/spiritual abode, appeared countless times in popular BBC show Songs Of Praise in the ‘80s and early ‘90s), and played whilst I sang songs at her instruction that have long been part of my musical DNA, such as Brother Can you Spare A Dime, As Time Goes By, A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square and so on.

She passed away some years ago, and she willed her piano to me. It’s right in front of me as I type, in my living room. It’s a beautiful mahogany cased Hopkinson upright that she had made for her in 1974 when she retired-she paid £1000 for it then, so it’s a proper instrument. It has the most beautifully silken key action of any piano I’ve played, and sounds exquisite. I’ve written and recorded so much material with it over the years and it’s so evocative to me-it sounds like family, childhood, discovery and wonder, all wrapped up in wistfulness.

Songs of praise

Oh how I hated that show , just a billboard for dull Sundays as a kid growing up.

I’m depressed now even thinking about it

(No offence to your dear old grandmother jinder)

Haha I agree...my parents detested it too (unless my Gran was on it, in which case they paid rapt attention to it, squinting at the screen pointing at various old ladies trying to identify which one was the matriarch in question!) but it always tended to be on in the background whilst crumpets were being toasted and/or roast dinner detritus was being cleared away.

Nicely written Johnny, I understand, we were not a musical family but my dad had a interest in playing acoustic a little, I wish I would have got to play with him as he died very young 38 years ago. I am soon to be 59. I miss him still very much so. essentially I had 18 years with him becuse I lived away during Navy the last three years of his life. Best to you sir.

Archived