Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson pups for a Traditional HP

newlespauler

Les Paul traditional HP it is, it came with 57 classics but they are gone and I am told by a guitar store/dealer that it needs Gibson pups - esp with covers - to be sold more easily. I didn't like the 57s, and it is possible I will have this guitar for some time before it sells, so I want pickups I will enjoy too. Also, I can't bring myself to pay for something I dont agree will be good, not sure why in this context. Because of the titanium parts this guitar has a quite exaggerated top end, so that is something to consider IMO. I think I would like the 498t but the 498-490 set is getting lots of complaints, that they are not a good match, hard to eq etc. Burstbuckers could be good but might just be too bright for this particular guitar for the reason mentioned. Can you guide me now? Thank you.

If I was in your position I'd try and get a pair of 59 Tribute's there fabulous pickups but they were only fitted to the Traditional in 2014-15, I'm not sure if you can buy them on there own. If your lucky you might find a pair second hand.

Ian

If I was in your position I'd try and get a pair of 59 Tribute's there fabulous pickups but they were only fitted to the Traditional in 2014-15, I'm not sure if you can buy them on there own. If your lucky you might find a pair second hand.

Ian

Hey. thanks yes I was considering that. They sounded kind of bright on utube, in the way Burstbuckers also seem to be, so I am concerned with the Titanium saddles and trebly character of this guitar (trebly not in lacking bottom end but the top is a bit more than usual). Actually I located a set in my country I may make an offer if I am convinced they will work for me.

Guest Farnsbarns

If your guitar was bright before I'm not sure why you would fit 59s, Gibson's brightest sounding humbuckers?

Non original pups are non original, whether they're Gibson pups or not. I've never heard so much nonsense. If you insist on Gibson pups, try looking at burstbucker and hotter.

If your guitar was bright before I'm not sure why you would fit 59s, Gibson's brightest sounding humbuckers?

Non original pups are non original, whether they're Gibson pups or not. I've never heard so much nonsense. If you insist on Gibson pups, try looking at burstbucker and hotter.

Haha okay yes there is an element of nensense to me too. I was strongly adviced to get Gibson pups, and I was adviced to get the orininal 57s especially. Trying to compromise with that demand. I am on the verge of giving up the project to just get what I like and hope buyers will appreciate. I got pretty hot Dimarzio's on it now which sound great to me, but neither sound very Les Paul traditionalish nor look fancy. Need to correct that to be able to sell. Some understanding please!!

Archived