Gibson Brands Forums

Stay tuned

E-minor7

Dare I say it? My ears are trained to prefer standard!

However, I do regular slightly flatten my low E in gigs. I play with some weight to the strum, and I also capo. Tradeoffs...

What do you think EM?

I also slightly flatten my low E on my old LG-2 - ever since I posted a song on the forum where it was a bit sharp...cruelly but accurately pointed out by fellow forumite whose name rhymes with WasmyPal [biggrin] .

What do you think EM?

1 - I think mr. Davids' film is brilliant. It's a serious response to the well-known James Taylor-tuning-video show here earlier.

2 - The way they are presented I could live with both methods. I see what he means when saying they both make the other sound slightly out of pitch.

Well, that's the whole point and for the same reason I don't really follow any of the two.

I take the guitar and make them ready by a standard tuning-device (a small multi-coloured clam-on-eye). From there a fine-tuning starts by ear.

Depending on the guitar and song, micro adjustments are needed.

Fx it's no secret to me that my 1963 J-45 has a uneven space between the high open E and the second fret F#.

Gotta find something in between there and strangely enough this sometimes is easier then others.

I could be mistaken for a nerd about this, but it isn't the case. Not at all as pedantic as Taylor nor Davids or others.

Moral of the story is that we have to be aware of the individual creature's small issues and how we bend the steel in certain chords.

To start up with the highest precision is recommended - and the literally fine art of compensation is a crucial part of the game from there.

I have "Taylor" tuning set as a preset on my Peterson strobe tuner ("TAY"). It seems to work very well when you are using a capo. Standard tuning, tuned to A 440 pitch works okay for me when no capo is used and my B and high E strings are slightly flat.

20151105124546.jpg

Archived