Gibson Brands Forums

G7th Heritage Capo Unboxing and Review

drathbun

I ordered the Heritage capo on Wednesday, it was shipped from England yesterday and I received it at noon today.

I did an unboxing/review Youtube video where I use the capo on my Martin 000-28vs, my Gibson SJ200 and my Taylor GA3-12. I am pleased to say that it works flawlessly on all of them. This ART (Adaptive Radius Technology) system that Nick has developed seems to have solved my issues with using a capo. My main problem was having all open (capoed) positions ring without buzzing. I found it a challenge with every capo save my Shubb Deluxe which still needed tweaking.

This capo is awesome. It is beautiful, functional, easy to use and works on ALL my guitars. If you are a member of the AGF forum, Nick will engrave your name on the capo free of charge.

In the video, I compare it to my Thalia, Paige and Performance 2. My capo search has ended.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

heritage1.jpg

heritage2.jpg

Thanks Doug!

A very interesting video, very enjoyable! Can you go buy something else? Keep the troops entertained? [biggrin]

So you have sold me on the capo and I may as well add to my capo collection. (a few could be binned, or maybe I could leave them on the mixer at the blues jam night...see who swipes them).

I have previously proclaimed my love for Shubbs of all sizes, and I mostly still do except for my little 00 Maton - it is a fairly modern Gibsonish neck with less radius and the test for me and capo fails! String bending, blues bending, string doesn’t return to sender.... Shubbs have been the only ones that allow string bends on my guitars, but alas, not on the Maton!

So could you do some bluesy string bends with your new capo, please Doug? No need for a video, no forget that - give us another video!

I previously did a search on internet for failure to return strings after bending and found a thread on AGF and one post where the guy just had more logic than Spock. He said he used TWO Shubb capos to counter the problem! You’re kidding, right? Ahem, it works! And it also helps buzzing 12 strings! :mellow: So one Shubb on the fret you want, for example on 3 ....and to balance the Law of Rocketry and Physics and Fulcrums....the other Shubb goes on 2. Try it! Make a video if it works, please! :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Pretty nice capo. I did a review of mine last spring and I do still dig it out of the "stuff" box occasionally, but the Elliot is my go-to. The G7 requires rather severe tightening relative to any other capo I have ever used........I think that's a direct result of the adaptive radius thing, which works well but needs a pretty good cranking to shape itself to the fingerboard. Very well made, good weight without being heavy. But after what seemed to be a break-in period, my Elliot drops into place very quickly and snugs up almost immediately with very little tension.........it's the one for me.

And here we thought you were a diehard Thalia man, Doug! Glad you like the G7!

And here we thought you were a diehard Thalia man, Doug! Glad you like the G7!

Thanks Buck. I stopped using the Thalia because I couldn’t get the D and G strings on my SJ200 to stop buzzing. I understand they now sell a pad set called XL to help. It is only $12. I might order it just to see. The Thalia is a pretty and quick capo although rather heavy.

Thanks Doug!

A very interesting video, very enjoyable! Can you go buy something else? Keep the troops entertained? [biggrin]

So you have sold me on the capo and I may as well add to my capo collection. (a few could be binned, or maybe I could leave them on the mixer at the blues jam night...see who swipes them).

I have previously proclaimed my love for Shubbs of all sizes, and I mostly still do except for my little 00 Maton - it is a fairly modern Gibsonish neck with less radius and the test for me and capo fails! String bending, blues bending, string doesn’t return to sender.... Shubbs have been the only ones that allow string bends on my guitars, but alas, not on the Maton!

So could you do some bluesy string bends with your new capo, please Doug? No need for a video, no forget that - give us another video!

I previously did a search on internet for failure to return strings after bending and found a thread on AGF and one post where the guy just had more logic than Spock. He said he used TWO Shubb capos to counter the problem! You’re kidding, right? Ahem, it works! And it also helps buzzing 12 strings! :mellow: So one Shubb on the fret you want, for example on 3 ....and to balance the Law of Rocketry and Physics and Fulcrums....the other Shubb goes on 2. Try it! Make a video if it works, please! :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Thanks, BK. I will give string bending a try, although I can't think of many songs that I play that require a capo AND string bending. That's an interesting suggestion about two capos. It kinda defeats the ability to switch quickly. But, seriously, how many of us need to switch capo positions THAT quickly anyway. Isn't tuning, going into drop D and capo shifting where you get to speak to your audience? I mean, a sip of a beer, shift the capo, tap the Boss tuner with your foot and banter while you fiddle with the knobs by saying "This is a little tune I tossed off while I was in the Carribean..."

I have three Shubbs (6 string Deluxe, 12 string Deluxe and a classical) and they were all my go-to capos. I experimented with all the others but always came back to the Deluxe Schubb. This Heritage might change that.

I don't use capos, but your review was very interesting. Quite the attention to details, that manufacturer.

The pouch reminds me very much of a mid-19th-century military cap pouch.

1st2011printcat_descrips1-33-15.jpg

Ah yes.. back in the day when it took 30 seconds to load up another round.

Thanks, BK. I will give string bending a try, although I can't think of many songs that I play that require a capo AND string bending. That's an interesting suggestion about two capos. It kinda defeats the ability to switch quickly. But, seriously, how many of us need to switch capo positions THAT quickly anyway. Isn't tuning, going into drop D and capo shifting where you get to speak to your audience? I mean, a sip of a beer, shift the capo, tap the Boss tuner with your foot and banter while you fiddle with the knobs by saying "This is a little tune I tossed off while I was in the Carribean..."

I have three Shubbs (6 string Deluxe, 12 string Deluxe and a classical) and they were all my go-to capos. I experimented with all the others but always came back to the Deluxe Schubb. This Heritage might change that.

Yeah, a sip of beer and another, and a laugh, and a joke and another sip.. [mellow] Wahoo. Uh oh...

Um, it still works (for string return) if you have a capo on 2 and the other capo on the fret you want - 3,4,5,6,7 >>>>>>>>>up to the squeezy dusty, parts. Something to do with fulcrums and politics in a vacuum, well that is what he said, I think! :unsure:

BluesKing777.

I don't use capos, but your review was very interesting. Quite the attention to details, that manufacturer.

Diggin' the leather.

I don't use a capo much, so just have a few cheapo's.

First I couldn't make out the information stamped on the leather flap. Then I realized, it was the company's name, located in Chicopee, Mass !

We use to live there. A typical 'river mill town' Smack dab in the center of Taxachussetts - directly north of Springfield which is directly north of Hartford, CT.

All the mills closed down long before we got there. Many torn down. Some trying to 're-purpose' themselves with small businesses inside. Last real business in those factories manufactured TVs. Put out of business by the Japanese in the late 70s. Last manufacturer made tires (in a 'new' plant) - closed while we were there. I assume there still isn't any real 'industry'. Just 'service industries'. The town next door - Agawam, Mass was World Famous for making ..... Buggy Whips! Was still loudly clinging to that claim to fame in the '80s.

Chicopee (an Indian Tribe) is where the biggest lottery of all time, as of a few months ago, in the US lived.

When we lived there, in the early 80s. the town was neatly laid out - a French section with it's church, a Portuguese section with it's church and a Polish section with it's church. We lived in the Polish section and went to the Portuguese Church. It was all Latin to me.

It's funny how things change. A hundred years from now - someone on the internet will be marveling at a solid wood guitar with a faded label that says 'Bozeman'.

I just found this guy's "Ultimate Capo" YouTube video. He has done an excellent job of making categories for capo features and preferences and makes some arguments to challenge capo makers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YdYia0zAbg

He also put together a terrific capo guide which ranks the various capos available using his own criteria and preferences which are sometimes very subjective. It is a pretty good compilation of features and performance of your capo choices. I'm not surprised that the G7th Heritage capo came out at the top of three of the seven categories (Radius, Adjustable Pressure, Even Pressure Across Strings), second in Aesthetics and third in Tone, making it his #1 choice capo. The other categories were Easy On/Off/Move and Store On Headstock.

The Ultimate Capo

Interesting concept with the G7th Heritage. Rather like it.

Apart from a Shrub and Kyser I went for bling at one stage and got me a Thalia. Looks damn good against the frets plus it works well, as one should expect.

Spent a lot of time on that one, didn't he? Still, capo choice is every bit as subjective as choosing anything else in guitar accessories, and while I like the Heritage, it's bulk and the force required to set it put it third on my list, behind the Elliot and the original Paige.

Thanks Buck. I stopped using the Thalia because I couldn’t get the D and G strings on my SJ200 to stop buzzing. I understand they now sell a pad set called XL to help. It is only $12. I might order it just to see. The Thalia is a pretty and quick capo although rather heavy.

I thought I'd give you an update. I ordered the "High Tension" XL fret pads for my Thalia and received them today. I specifically wanted to see if the Thalia would completely fret my Taylor 12 string. The Heritage DOES, so there is the challenge. The answer is; the Thalia does NOT.

However, the extra stout fret pads DO do a better job of fretting the SJ200 so I'm glad I picked them up. They were only $12.

X0zZCWn.jpg

dMwOdCO.jpg

Spent a lot of time on that one, didn't he? Still, capo choice is every bit as subjective as choosing anything else in guitar accessories, and while I like the Heritage, it's bulk and the force required to set it put it third on my list, behind the Elliot and the original Paige.

Interesting to read that you warmed up to the Elliott Buc.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. A user on the Martin forum posted a photo of his Heritage capo. He ordered the 12 string version and it looks like this:

eJpP8r6.jpg

A representative of G7th (I think it is Simon) mentioned on the thread that any Heritage owners could contact him through the G7th website and he will send them the 12 string notched pad for free. I sent him a message and he is sending one Monday.

Now my Heritage already works fine on my Taylor 12 and all of my other guitars. I purchased the wide version so it works on my Martin 000-28vs, the 12 string and right through to my Godin nylon. However, the notched version might need less pressure on the 12 string and therefore less retuning. If it works well on the other six-strings, then it will be a permanent replacement. If not, then Simon says (hehe) it is an easy swap. I will have the notched pad in 10 to 15 days and will report back what I find.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my free 12 string notched pad for my Heritage capo from Simon at G7th.

LSHok9R.jpg

This is how you do customer service! Thanks, Simon!

I did an update on my Unboxing and Review YouTube video where I replace the standard pad with the notched one and try it out on both my Taylor 12 and my Gibson SJ200 six-string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ind64bfQS8Y

Archived