Gibson Brands Forums

From me to Gibson

shrivie65

When I was little I remember my mom listening to and watching Elvis movies over and over after he passed. I remember even now watching him play that big Gibson Super 400 CES on the 68 Comeback Special. That sound stayed with me for life. To me, Gibson was an American icon and still is. When I was in the navy a friend of mine taught me a little guitar, nothing special but he can play anything and I always enjoyed watching him play. When I got out I got a cheap guitar, just to see if I would like playing. You know, that first cheap guitar. I then worked in the coal mines for several years and played off and on and never stuck with it like I wanted too. I decided to go back to school and had more time to play and I knew I had to get another guitar. A real quality guitar that could help me learn and make me want to [play more, I knew it had to be a Gibson Les Paul. No one around where I live sells Gibsons so I took the chance with Guitar Center and got my first Les Paul. I've loved it ever since. Gibson is still an icon of America. Through every genre Gibson has been there. I hope Gibson will continue to be there as I get older. I know there is a lot going on with Gibson Guitars right now and I hope things get better. I hope to add many more to my collection and visit Gibson soon.

That Super 400 on the '68 Comeback Special was actually owned by Scotty Moore, who was sitting right there watching Elvis beat the crap out of it and grind his leather jumpsuit (with buckles and zippers) all over it. Scotty wasn't happy about that in the least, but nobody dared say anything to the King.

I'm glad you got an LP that you like. Given where I live and the lack of music stores, I've just had the 'crap shoot' of buying over the phone or on the net ingrained in me. It's not smart, but it's what I've got. By that same set of rules, I have actively engaged in the 'catch and release' method of owning guitars. It makes for a good variety of instruments at any given time, and if I buy smart, I don't lose money.

That Super 400 on the '68 Comeback Special was actually owned by Scotty Moore, who was sitting right there watching Elvis beat the crap out of it and grind his leather jumpsuit (with buckles and zippers) all over it. Scotty wasn't happy about that in the least, but nobody dared say anything to the King.

I'm glad you got an LP that you like. Given where I live and the lack of music stores, I've just had the 'crap shoot' of buying over the phone or on the net ingrained in me. It's not smart, but it's what I've got. By that same set of rules, I have actively engaged in the 'catch and release' method of owning guitars. It makes for a good variety of instruments at any given time, and if I buy smart, I don't lose money.

nice Trvia there KS! I didn't know this one..

congrats on the Les Paul shrivie65 We do love our Gibsons here. I have 6.. 2 are Les Pauls Standards --- gotta have at least one.

1520268292[/url]' post='1921607']

nice Trvia there KS! I didn't know this one..

congrats on the Les Paul shrivie65 We do love our Gibsons here. I have 6.. 2 are Les Pauls Standards --- gotta have at least one.

That's true! You have to have at least one. I didn't get one till I hit 60 and glad I did! Found a great deal I couldn't refuse, since I bought a Epiphone Standard and the son wanted to trade me that one for his Epiphone Custom Limited Edition and thought, Whatever....Deal. So now I have 2 Les Paul's and the Custom Epiphone outplays the Gibson Standard. Oh well, one day he'll get it back anyway.msp_confused.gif By the way, welcome to the Gibson Forum's and nice to have you here. msp_thumbup.gif

Archived