Gibson Brands Forums

Serious? No Case!

BluesKing777

Sorry, but I just had to laugh! [flapper]

1974 Maton for sale, no case!

The mind boggles. Has the guitar survived since 1974 without a case? How would it get here? They don't sound bright enough to get a case for you. I mean, it says they are in Surfers Paradise, Australia and a quick look on the Google shows about 45 guitar shops in the general area including a major city of Brisbane not too far away....No details of guitar - whqt model Maton? etc. I may buy it just to see what happens....it could be a comedy.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/surfers-paradise/guitars-amps/maton-acoustic-guitar-1974-model-with-k-k-pickups-/1176679102

BluesKing777.

Thanks Murph!

I too have some cases stored...ahem, quite a few because I bought Hiscox cases for the high enders to share amongst themselves.

It costs as much as sending a guitar, in this country, to send a guitar case. Ask me how I know?

...and to drive to the seller’s house is, according to GPS, over 19 hours....and back.

BluesKing777.

When I bought my 18-year-old J-45 in 1966, it didn't have a case. And it looked like it had lived its life bouncing around in the back of a pickup truck. I bought it a new chipboard case for $10, which was all I could afford after paying $50 for the guitar.

An acoustic I had when I was 13 sat in the cardboard box it came in...I started lessons and got a gig bag from the music school, mainly to get the carry handle for easier lugging on the bus! That cardboard box was a nuisance!

Nobody at the lessons had a proper case, and there were lots of students, a full classroom, at the start of the term. Everyone (well, their parents) paid for the whole term in advance, but that didn’t stop them dropping like flies. By the end of the term, there were only 3 tough nuts left...me, one other serious Sam and a special needs kid who enjoyed himself but didn’t really get that guitar going much.

So thanks Nick, that is all coming back to me after reading your post. Anyway, I didn’t have a guitar in a case until I bought my ..... gasp....Fender Telecaster and that was the special rectangular Fender case. Wow! Hmm, no amp! Small problem....

Oh yeah Nick, you will be glad to hear that a guy about to sail his old yacht up the East coast of Australia bought that old acoustic from me, to take on his boat.

BluesKing777.

Man you guys are old...

You know you are old when you bought a new guitar and while it did not come with a case it did come with a cord strap and a booklet that not only showed you the chords to "On Top of Old Smokey" but labeled the parts of the guitar.

2f746c98-d0d5-47f1-9ab3-e4d0d2540dc2_zpsawpjdsls.jpg

Gibsons and others did not come with cases until well into the 1960s. You could buy one - usually a choice of a chipboard case or one of two hardshells. They were generally a generic size so nothing fit like a glove. If you went for the upper end case that $140 J-45 you just bought became almost $185 in a heartbeat. These days you still pay for the case they just don't tell you.

Thinking about it, Hiscox should make a fold up version of their case!

I have kept the original cases that came with the guitars that now live in Hiscoxes, because I won’t want to sell a guitar in a Hiscox if I move it along.

I could sell the original cases along but then I might end up....gulp.....selling a guitar with no case! :unsure:

So I have 5 cases from that, plus an original Gibson cardboard faux alligator and a similar poor old thing that came with my old 35 National - the guy gave me both the ‘presentable’ new case and the original that looks like it has been run over.

Here we have 7 empty cases taking up the room that could be filled with.....hahaha.... 7 more acoustic! [tongue] [tongue] [tongue]

Hence, foldable-to-flatpack cases please, Mr Hiscox,

BluesKing777.

Thinking about it, Hiscox should make a fold up version of their case!

I have kept the original cases that came with the guitars that now live in Hiscoxes, because I won’t want to sell a guitar in a Hiscox if I move it along.

I could sell the original cases along but then I might end up....gulp.....selling a guitar with no case! :unsure:

So I have 5 cases from that, plus an original Gibson cardboard faux alligator and a similar poor old thing that came with my old 35 National - the guy gave me both the ‘presentable’ new case and the original that looks like it has been run over.

Here we have 7 empty cases taking up the room that could be filled with.....hahaha.... 7 more acoustic! [tongue] [tongue] [tongue]

Hence, foldable-to-flatpack cases please, Mr Hiscox,

BluesKing777.

I have several "leftover" hard cases right now, including one brand new Gibson slope-J case which is waiting for the pristine 1946-1950 SJ I'm going to find someday...

I have several "leftover" hard cases right now, including one brand new Gibson slope-J case which is waiting for the pristine 1946-1950 SJ I'm going to find someday...

Not pristine or close, but this one could keep that case warm until you find that pristine one...which is probably at Tom's.

https://reverb.com/item/9683368-gibson-southern-jumbo-sunburst-1946-1948

BluesKing777.

So you bought it? Hehe

If I were to sell this, a case would certainly be part of th deal. Don't see the sense in having guitars without a case for storage - despite the room they..

No, I didn’t buy it.

Somebody must have thought: “Hey, I have a spare dreadnaught case to fill, guess I could mosey on down to Surfers Paradise and buy that guitar with no case that BK777 posted!” :mellow:

It is a very humid area to have a guitar with no case - as I type, it is 95 degrees and 85% humidity.

BluesKing777.

One of my habits is to whenever I am in an smaller independent music shop is to ask the owner if they have any used cases hanging around. In the last couple of years I have snagged a Gibson, Martin and Guild case all from the 1960s at an average cost of around $65.00 each. I slap some silica gel in them and stash them in the basement until I need them. I am particularly fond of the early 1960s Victoria Luggage Gibson cases.

Until very recently, acoustic guitar cases were hard come by in Australia, well, in my part.

Apart from locally made guitars, most imports came in their case and nobody sold quality cases that I knew of. Importing a case here costs the same as importing a guitar. Ask me how I know? So it was like a musical chairs of cases.

When I bought my Blues King about 2008 or 9, it came in a yellow Gibson Blues King gig bag. Can I tell you I looked everywhere for a hard case to fit? Eventually I found an new Epiphone case to fit it - still in it! (I have a Hiscox that my 37 L-0 lives in and I use that for the BK if I take it out.)

These days, shops sell all kinds of guitar cases, but Hiscox would be the highest quality that make it here...empty. [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Not pristine or close, but this one could keep that case warm until you find that pristine one...which is probably at Tom's.

https://reverb.com/item/9683368-gibson-southern-jumbo-sunburst-1946-1948

BluesKing777.

I saw that one. It's pretty good, but it's a lot of money for an SJ of that vintage with a fair amount of repairs and an oversprayed finish.

I saw that one. It's pretty good, but it's a lot of money for an SJ of that vintage with a fair amount of repairs and an oversprayed finish.

Hey, in the context of the thread, it has a case! [tongue]

And that cool case could make it look like you had done a gig or two.

BluesKing777.

Hey, in the context of the thread, it has a case! [tongue]

And that cool case could make it look like you had done a gig or two.

BluesKing777.

The case looks pretty cool, but I don't think it's necessarily original to the guitar. Remember that the case was an extra, so this may have been a generic case hat was cheaper than a Gibson case. I have one of those generic cases I bought for my J-45 back in about 1969. It's not quite as beat as that one, and I retired it to a box in the attic when I got the Cali Girl case a few years ago.

That SJ has an odd back. It doesn't appear to be book-matched, which is unusual for the apparent year, probably 1947 or 1948. It may have been a left-over back from the banner years.

In any case, I would have to sell a couple of guitars to justify that amount of money, and I'm not dying to sell anything I have right now. Just keep waiting for the right one to come along...

The case looks pretty cool, but I don't think it's necessarily original to the guitar. Remember that the case was an extra, so this may have been a generic case hat was cheaper than a Gibson case. I have one of those generic cases I bought for my J-45 back in about 1969. It's not quite as beat as that one, and I retired it to a box in the attic when I got the Cali Girl case a few years ago.

That SJ has an odd back. It doesn't appear to be book-matched, which is unusual for the apparent year, probably 1947 or 1948. It may have been a left-over back from the banner years.

In any case, I would have to sell a couple of guitars to justify that amount of money, and I'm not dying to sell anything I have right now. Just keep waiting for the right one to come along...

To folks who haven't been guitar involved forever, that might seem a little farfetched, but it's truly amazing how the 'right one' manages to materialize at the least expected time and in the least expected place. Before I realized the worth and veracity of that phenomenon, I expended lots more energy (not to mention cash😂) and suffered a great deal more disappointment. Again, I submit that acoustic guitars are essentially female, and the parallel with 'relationships' reinforces the belief.

To folks who haven't been guitar involved forever, that might seem a little farfetched, but it's truly amazing how the 'right one' manages to materialize at the least expected time and in the least expected place. Before I realized the worth and veracity of that phenomenon, I expended lots more energy (not to mention cash😂) and suffered a great deal more disappointment. Again, I submit that acoustic guitars are essentially female, and the parallel with 'relationships' reinforces the belief.

Bingo!

To folks who haven't been guitar involved forever, that might seem a little farfetched, but it's truly amazing how the 'right one' manages to materialize at the least expected time and in the least expected place. Before I realized the worth and veracity of that phenomenon, I expended lots more energy (not to mention cash) and suffered a great deal more disappointment. Again, I submit that acoustic guitars are essentially female, and the parallel with 'relationships' reinforces the belief.

I have so many right ones I have to try some from the left!

I don’t think you can just sit there hoping one will land in your lap though. You have to do something. Don’t you? :)

BluesKing777.

I have so many right ones I have to try some from the left!

I don’t think you can just sit there hoping one will land in your lap though. You have to do something. Don’t you? :)

BluesKing777.

Sure ya do! Try to have some cash laid back, know what you'd like to own, stay reasonably focused, be patient, and do what you'd normally do to stay in the loop☺

Sure ya do! Try to have some cash laid back, know what you'd like to own, stay reasonably focused, be patient, and do what you'd normally do to stay in the loop☺

I have some great guitars and play them as hard as I can, so should not be looking.....

And that is when they turn up, isn’t it? When you give up?

Is it the same with Lotto landing in your lap? I mean, I don’t want to win it and be too old to enjoy it! So hurry up, Lotto, the jackpot here is $30 mil tomorrow!

Then there could be a new guitar buying plan!

BluesKing777.

I have some great guitars and play them as hard as I can, so should not be looking.....

And that is when they turn up, isn’t it? When you give up?

Is it the same with Lotto landing in your lap? I mean, I don’t want to win it and be too old to enjoy it! So hurry up, Lotto, the jackpot here is $30 mil tomorrow!

Then there could be a new guitar buying plan!

BluesKing777.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Giving up/hitting the lottery and such....

Archived